+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***KINGSTON, JAMAICA **New Application**(as of Dec 7, 2016)***

Canadian Sensation

Star Member
Jul 30, 2020
Good Sunday afternoon everyone. My name is Tammy and I haven’t needed to be on this forum for a while now. I have a question for anyone who knows the answer. I sponsored my husband and he finally arrived in Nov 2020. When we filed his paperwork we included his son but stated that he would not be joining his father at this time. The son had a medical done. The point we are at now is how do we apply for the son to now join us? We know there was a form that needed to be signed by both the mother and his father which stated the mother allows the child to come to Canada and be with us. It needed to be signed in front of a notary public. The issue at the time was that the mother had no ID to identify herself due to a fire and Jamaica wasn’t issuing government of (voter cards) until recently. The mother now has it and we are planning to travel to Jamaica the end of this April. Is the only thing we need to do at this time is complete that paperwork? Then do we submit it somehow from Canada once we get back and they will request another medical to be done? Thanks for any info someone might have who has been through this scenario. The child is now 8 years old.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Good Sunday afternoon everyone. My name is Tammy and I haven’t needed to be on this forum for a while now. I have a question for anyone who knows the answer. I sponsored my husband and he finally arrived in Nov 2020. When we filed his paperwork we included his son but stated that he would not be joining his father at this time. The son had a medical done. The point we are at now is how do we apply for the son to now join us? We know there was a form that needed to be signed by both the mother and his father which stated the mother allows the child to come to Canada and be with us. It needed to be signed in front of a notary public. The issue at the time was that the mother had no ID to identify herself due to a fire and Jamaica wasn’t issuing government of (voter cards) until recently. The mother now has it and we are planning to travel to Jamaica the end of this April. Is the only thing we need to do at this time is complete that paperwork? Then do we submit it somehow from Canada once we get back and they will request another medical to be done? Thanks for any info someone might have who has been through this scenario. The child is now 8 years old.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

It's not that different from sponsoring spouse, with - of course - the form where the other parent agrees the child may immigrate. You do submit the sponsorship application while the sponsor is in Canada. (If you have the paperwork you could submit it before departing to jamaica)

One thing to consider is timing: it may take roughly the same amount of time as sponsoring spouse (sometimes less but who knows). You can apply for the child to get a visitor visa to join here (no guarantee it will be issued); health care for a child whose parent is a PR and schooling depend on provinces (schooling I think is generally not an issue in most provinces but do check) - so health insurance will likely be needed. Timing might be important if eg you want the child to start school in the fall.

(And then if the child is in canada when pr approved, the 'landing' can be done virtually now without departing and returning)

Reactions: KellyBlair

Canadian Sensation

Star Member
Jul 30, 2020
Thank you…it is the paperwork we now need to take to Jamaica to get signed by both my husband and his ex in front of a notary public. We can then bring back the paper and submit it with the fee for him to have his next medical done. Both my husband and I have benefits through our employers. When my husband landed in Nov 2020 he was allowed to get his health card right away. Likely due to Covid at that time there was no 3 month wait for one. I did believe all we needed was the one document so we will focus on getting that in April once we arrive in Ja.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
When my husband landed in Nov 2020 he was allowed to get his health card right away.
Sounds like you have the basics, just prepare all the forms etc well in advance and then you can submit when back from Jamaica.

On health care: To be clear, I was referring more to the possible circumstance where you would want the child to come to Canada on a TRV before the PR application is complete (eg in case you wanted the child to start school in Canada).

In both cases, you'd still need to check with provincial health insurance requirements - as a PR the max period would be three months before getting health insurance from govt, but as a visitor can be quite different from province to province.

Good luck.

Stick

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
Does any one know if there is any way to contact the VAC in Kingston?

My nephew contacted them prior to sending off his passport and was told exactly what to send including the fees. Then he sent the package on Monday, March 14, 2022 and they received it on Tuesday, March 15, 2022. He got a call and email on Saturday to pay additional fees and send the receipts via email as proof. Jamaican banks do not do wire transfer to local bank accounts, so the bank clerk helped him to send the funds online and he sent the receipt with the tracking number via email.

However, they have not acknowledged receiving the email, although he replied to the email they sent me, and at about 1:30 this morning, he received another email (do not reply) to say my package is pending because he did not pay the transmission fees.

I am now confused because the transmission fee was included in the amount that they outlined that he should pay.I am also worried that the 30 days will run out before the embassy gets his passport. I have helped him to call and email them, but nothing. No one is available to tell him anything. It can really be frustrating to deal with companies like this.

Please let me know if you have ever had this experience and how it was resolved.

Last edited:

God ISNOTSLEEPING

May 17, 2021
Hello Stick,

Similar story with me and my spouse. We didn't pay the fees however, received a call and email to pay fees and send confirmation along with consent form. After sending the requested confirmation and signed document. We sent and email again the next day for confirmation and still have not received a response. So the initial call and email was March 16th, our first response to the email was the 17th and the follow up was on the 18th. I will be waiting until next week and if there's no response I'll be sending and email to other departments with my concern.

I'm not sure what category your nephew applied under, but there should be a way to check you status updates. Mine shows that they received the documents sent, just waiting on the return.

It will all work out in perfect time. I'll update here if there are any changes.

Best.

Does any one know if there is any way to contact the VAC in Kingston?

My nephew contacted them prior to sending off his passport and was told exactly what to send including the fees. Then he sent the package on Monday, March 14, 2022 and they received it on Tuesday, March 15, 2022. He got a call and email on Saturday to pay additional fees and send the receipts via email as proof. Jamaican banks do not do wire transfer to local bank accounts, so the bank clerk helped him to send the funds online and he sent the receipt with the tracking number via email.

However, they have not acknowledged receiving the email, although he replied to the email they sent me, and at about 1:30 this morning, he received another email (do not reply) to say my package is pending because he did not pay the transmission fees.

I am now confused because the transmission fee was included in the amount that they outlined that he should pay.I am also worried that the 30 days will run out before the embassy gets his passport. I have helped him to call and email them, but nothing. No one is available to tell him anything. It can really be frustrating to deal with companies like this.

Please let me know if you have ever had this experience and how it was resolved.

Nov 12, 2020
Hi everyone! My husband received passport request today and I’m unsure of what he needs to do exactly. Does he send his passport to the VAC office in Kingston by courier? It also states a transmission fee needs to be paid, how does he pay this and does he need to take the passport pics a second time? Even though they were included with the original application? Lastly, how long does it usually take to receive the passport back? Any good insight is greatly appreciated, thanks ☺

Stick

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
Hello Stick,

Similar story with me and my spouse. We didn't pay the fees however, received a call and email to pay fees and send confirmation along with consent form. After sending the requested confirmation and signed document. We sent and email again the next day for confirmation and still have not received a response. So the initial call and email was March 16th, our first response to the email was the 17th and the follow up was on the 18th. I will be waiting until next week and if there's no response I'll be sending and email to other departments with my concern.

I'm not sure what category your nephew applied under, but there should be a way to check you status updates. Mine shows that they received the documents sent, just waiting on the return.

It will all work out in perfect time. I'll update here if there are any changes.

Best.
He was approved for a study permit and his passport was requested.
I know his package is with VAC Kingston through TARA courier tracking, but he has not received any confirmation details from VAC to saw they got and approved the fee payment.
How did you pay your fees?

Stick

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
He was approved for a study permit and his passport was requested.
I know his package is with VAC Kingston through TARA courier tracking, but he has not received any confirmation details from VAC to saw they got and approved the fee payment.
How did you pay your fees?
I also emailed the other departments and still nothing, except a generic email to say they will respond in 2 days, but I don’t believe that because they did not even respond to my first query.
I also believe everything will work out, but I hate how unprofessional this place is.

God ISNOTSLEEPING

May 17, 2021
Initially we sent it through Tara directly to the address given and was tracking it on tara. Later I saw on vfs site that Tara cannot return to us (smh asked them multiple times and they said they do). I think it will work out.

The pending on your end may just be them finalizing. On our end we have not received anything after they confirmed receipt.

In the email they gave us the banking information for deposit.

I also emailed the other departments and still nothing, except a generic email to say they will respond in 2 days, but I don’t believe that because they did not even respond to my first query.
I also believe everything will work out, but I hate how unprofessional this place is.

God ISNOTSLEEPING

May 17, 2021
Congratulations Mr.Mitchell!!!!!

I would love to be of assistance in this time, but you may see I'm in a bit of a pickle waiting for the return due to hiccup, I have concerns on my return.

I can suggest though DO NOT use Tara.

If you are close to Kingston possibly going into dhl will be a smoother process for you.

All the best.

Hi everyone! My husband received passport request today and I’m unsure of what he needs to do exactly. Does he send his passport to the VAC office in Kingston by courier? It also states a transmission fee needs to be paid, how does he pay this and does he need to take the passport pics a second time? Even though they were included with the original application? Lastly, how long does it usually take to receive the passport back? Any good insight is greatly appreciated, thanks ☺

Stick

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
Initially we sent it through Tara directly to the address given and was tracking it on tara. Later I saw on vfs site that Tara cannot return to us (smh asked them multiple times and they said they do). I think it will work out.

The pending on your end may just be them finalizing. On our end we have not received anything after they confirmed receipt.

In the email they gave us the banking information for deposit.
Did you deposit the money or transfer it? Scotiabank Jamaica said they don’t do wire transfer to local bank accounts, so the bank clerk helped him to do the transfer and he emailed the receipts to them.

The email he got had a temporary barcode which was generated on Saturday when they called him.

I called the VAC too and I was told to use any courier I want even though on their website it said not to use TARA. I specifically asked about TARA too and I have the evidence from talking to 3 different agents. I also called DHL and was told they don’t do local deliveries, so they can’t send it to the VAC unless he is sending it overseas. Sigh.

TARA said they deliver and return so I let him get the return envelope, but when I checked the tracking number, it said it was not a round trip, and he would have to pick it up from their office, which is ok. Not sure how it get back to their office

My main concern is the lack of communication from the VAC. The process used to be much easier when they worked with DHL or had the place on Haining Road. All I want is the confirmation that they got the receipt and everything is okay. I thought he would have gotten back the passport and package by now.

God ISNOTSLEEPING

May 17, 2021
Hello Stick,

Went to scotiabank and paid at the telker and gave them the banking information given to us.

Tara was a mistake on my end. Paying the fees etc. they said should be okay. I know it's a bit annoying but give them a bit more time. I think they are busy with farm workers' visa, and others as well. I'm hoping by next week we can hear something if not before this week's end.

Did you deposit the money or transfer it? Scotiabank Jamaica said they don’t do wire transfer to local bank accounts, so the bank clerk helped him to do the transfer and he emailed the receipts to them.

The email he got had a temporary barcode which was generated on Saturday when they called him.

I called the VAC too and I was told to use any courier I want even though on their website it said not to use TARA. I specifically asked about TARA too and I have the evidence from talking to 3 different agents. I also called DHL and was told they don’t do local deliveries, so they can’t send it to the VAC unless he is sending it overseas. Sigh.

TARA said they deliver and return so I let him get the return envelope, but when I checked the tracking number, it said it was not a round trip, and he would have to pick it up from their office, which is ok. Not sure how it get back to their office

My main concern is the lack of communication from the VAC. The process used to be much easier when they worked with DHL or had the place on Haining Road. All I want is the confirmation that they got the receipt and everything is okay. I thought he would have gotten back the passport and package by now.

Stick

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
Hello Stick,

Went to scotiabank and paid at the telker and gave them the banking information given to us.

Tara was a mistake on my end. Paying the fees etc. they said should be okay. I know it's a bit annoying but give them a bit more time. I think they are busy with farm workers' visa, and others as well. I'm hoping by next week we can hear something if not before this week's end.
Let’s hope for the best.