info-gc

Star Member
Nov 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
===============================
CARS and INSURANCE 2002-2009
===============================

Foreign driving experience does not count for much in Canada unless you have proof from a foreign insurer of accident free driving.
A foreign driving license will however let you take the road driving test almost immediately. The first step , of course, is the writen (or computer) test which is easy if the right trainig materials are used.
Acing the road test is a bit more problematic. They fail you easily the first couple of times and make you take more driving lessons.
Overall, you can expect to pay a few hunderd dollars for the license (with lessons of $35/hour+ - 10 years ago) and tests of about $80.

Of all people I knew. the person who had the greatest difficulty at the test was a friend from Macedonia with long years of driving under his belt but no knowledge of English.
He failed the test 7 times, as the instructors were not pleased with his left turns on a "Turn right" command.

Back in 2001 I had a foreign driving license issued in the late 80's, no car insurance record and , since I owned no car back home, very limited driving experience.
This called for high insurance premiums. When I bough my car (which I still have) in 2003, its monthly insurance premium was more than the monthly payment on the car.
The actual amount was around $250, which was also a freaking deal compared to what other companies were asking.

"Insurance is something you ALWAYS want to have but NEVER want to use!" - this is how the saying goes and in my case this is exactly how it worked - I always had it, never used it, paying thousands of dollars to the insurance company.

Accidents are caused by reckless driving and /or lack of luck.

I have to regretfully admit that my car has looks more esthetically pleasing than those of my wife, so I take good care of it, changing oil frequently, flushing the engine and NEVER driving like a real Canadian in town.
What many tend to do is put the peddal to the metal once the green is on and come to a screaming emergency stop at the red lights.
My driving is mellow; slow accelaration, smooth stops, less stress on the engine and higher fuel efficiency. Once out of town, though,I am hard to follow.

Most people are speeding here doing 70-80km/h in a 50km/h zone; never saw one get a ticket and I didn't have a ticket till 2 years ago.

It was a warm summer day and I was taking a friend to a place 140km away. We were nearly there driving on th elast straight stretch of 10km with no people or residential areas around. We were out into the wilderness. While talking I never noticed the police cruiser taking my speed on the radar. It was, according to him, "121" in a "100km/h" stretch. The guy was bent on collecting his money and mentioning my employment status did not help any. $137 went down the drain.
Only two months later another cop starts chasing me on the highway and I am so pissed I do not even slow down. I tdrive with him in tow for anoher 5km, then I pull over.

He was quite red in the face; asked me why I did not stop. I told him, I had no idea he was after me. His second question was if I knew what I had done wrong. Again I replied I had followed all rules on the road.At this, he went inside his car and started checking my license and the record against it. I was convinced, for a second speeding offence he was going to ask a steeper amount, impossible for me to pay. Two minutes later he shows up and in the most polite tone, wishes me a safe trip and returns my documents with no ticket inside. I figured I must have already paid my "cop dues" for the year.

By 2008 I had already paid about $8,000 in car insurance never claiming a dollar back. This was the year I first checked the quality of this protection. While driving in town, a small bus tried to turn left from a parked position; I was just passing the buss and th ecolision was almost impossible to avoid. I swerved left, and saved the front of the car, but the bus caught the rear right mudguard leaving a small dent in it. Overall a hardly visible damage but worth $1,000 to fix.
The female driver of the bus, decided to take the initiative in her hands, taking my license number, at which I took hers. She started telling her story that had nothing to do with th truth, and she told a similar unbelievable story to the insurance company. Despite my clear explanation of the accident, a drawing, an simulation with toy cars and a request for the insurer to visit the site, located 3 km from them, they did nothing and made me 75% liable for the accident. Very convenient, as his meant they were not going to pay me anything to fix my car.
I was about to trigger an appeal procedure, but to do that they wanted me to pay a non-refundable fee. The appeal was being made to......THEM! Yes, I was supposed to appeal to their "independant commission". Forget about it!

I later adjusted my insurance in such a way that my premiums are the lowest possible. If my car is stolen, I will get nothing back. But I was not going to get anything back from those crooks anyhow.

info-gc

Star Member
Nov 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
======================================================
2008-2009 CRA COMPLICATIONS
======================================================

If there is one thing that sends creeps down my spine in Canada, it is the CRA - Canada Revenue Agency.

Their branches are many , handling the financials of Canada's business and social life. They take your tax money, but hey are also the ones paying you benefits - provincial credits, fuel efficiancy credits, GST/PST credits and more imporatnatly the Child tax credits.

It is a system that has a few positive principles built inside.

Whereas in my country of origin you pay taxes and this is money you never see again, in Canada, the system will actually try to determine your needs during the year, your unexpected expenses, your losses and new children, and tax you accordingly.

When my family joined me in 2008, my daughter had a tourist status in Canada and I had to file a sponsorship application , this time from inside of Canada. Oh boy, was the processing slow; her visa expired and I was supposed to pay for an extention but I did not bother.
Eventually we heard back from the embassy that her visa is ready and can be activated at a point of entry.

A week after that and a few hunderd kilometers later, my daughter was finally a Canadaian resident with full rights.

What that meant, taxwise was, she was supposed to be now reflected in my tax return files for the previous 3 tax years reducing the amount of my taxes payable. At the same time she was also elligible for Child Tax benefits for those years.

But, as you may already know by this line, in my life things always take an unexpected direction for the worse.

Instead of producing the desired effect of receiving a tax refund and Child Benefits in 2008, we started to get letters that were reversing previous Child Tax, GST/PST, provincial and other credits resulting in debt of over $7,000 !!!

We started getting phone calls, and the most important questions were why was my wife back home , for how long and how much money was made there. There is some reason behind the questions. If you worked and made a fortune abroad, you did not declare it and claimed the benefits, you would be abusing the system.

That was not the case, but for a few months we were grilled on slow fire. Keep in mind they were issuing the letters automatically, for each account and each year for both of us. Those were over 30 letters we received stating amounts we owed, stating the amounts were overdue and what not!

After 3 months of fighting, we received letters that the debt is waved, but we had lost about $1,500 in suspended child tax payments over the months, and that was not the effect I expected.

I sent another letter and asked. Then I was told they had made a mistake and one more time I started getting letters stating amounts we owed. The CRA were trying to undo their mess and the system was automatically generating blackmail! Awfull, I was going to get a heart attack!

By the spring of 2009 a substantial sum of money was deposited into my bank account which helped me pay off my student loan and survive the hardships of the summer in 2010.

ihabkal

Oct 8, 2010
so you ended up getting money from the Canadian government after all.
It is like I say, I am ready to pay taxes and anything, money is not my raison d'etre, as long as they would give me PR. You however benefited from the Canadian system, that you talk badly about.

canada0801

Sep 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo >> Transferred to NYC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2010 CC Charged.........: 03-11-2010
Doc's Request.
submitted with application; new PCC resubmitted with MR
AOR Received.
02-17-2011
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
received by Buffalo VO >> transfer to NYC
Med's Request
01-29-2012
Med's Done....
03-16-2012
Interview........
tbd
Passport Req..
tbd
VISA ISSUED...
tbd
LANDED..........
tbd
info-gc said:
You are more than welcome to leave this thread. Your questions were answered numerous times by me and other posters
Never did you answer anything coherent and consistent with what you decsribe to be your current cisrumstances. Just once you said something to the effect that it would be a defeat to go back. That's like screaming from the inside of buring house, how terribly hot it was there, while standing at the door, and not walking outside of it - just because 'it would be a defeat'.
People don't do such things under real life pressures.
Either what you have in Canada is not as bad as you describe it OR else there must be something , some compelling reason or force preventing you from going back. You didn't not explain and did not point to either of these possibilities.
So my conclusion about all that you posted here so far: FAKE.
This poster can't answer simple questions because he is FAKE.
He has agenda and whatever it might be, it has nothing to do with good intentions towards future immigrants.

I already left this thread, as far as dialog with you was concerned. I just let others know what a waste of time you are.

ihabkal

Oct 8, 2010
I agree witn Canada0801, something isn't right. I am just thinking now for the first time that this might be fabricated or exagerated, or a bunch of stories from different people put together. info-gc never explained how he was able to leave wife and kids in a different country for years without seeing them. that sort of thing for us Middle Easterns is not what real fathers and husbands do. so I don't trust this story is right.
I did a search online and I found this
http://www.infogc.com.br/index.php?pagina=profissional
is it the real info-gc? he ha the same nickname and is a computer and IT wizard like our info-gc, but I don't know the language to understand his resume, all I understood is he nver worked in Canada form it. I will keep searching until I find something more concrete.

info-gc

Star Member
Nov 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You funny guys. :D Keep on digging. You may find a few more carrots on the net.

All of the stories are written by me in the past 2-3 days and reflect the reality and my adventured in Canada. There is no reason to disclose to you which country I came from as this has little bearing on the subject. I obviuosly come from a place where leaving a wife behind is OK and you may find the reasons too. You also understand that I could pick up any country I want and give it to you, but manufacturing lies is not my goal.

The stories are just adventures that may contain good information for you. They may give you clues on my character, the way I handle things and other personal traits, but those would be irrelevant to you. If there is something you can use, take it, if you do not believe the story, do not read it. Sooner or later you will find out the reality yourself.

Neel09

Star Member
May 20, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
06/08/2010, Edmonton
Hi info-gc

I have currently 12 years of driving history in US. I am moving to edmonton on first week of december and would need to buy a car as soon as possible, possibly within a week. What would be my procedure to apply for Alberta license with US drivers license? So my US driving record will not be of any use there when i try to get car insurance?

I dont know if its worth to buy a car from private party. I am planning to get a brand new one from dealership but its insurance will be very high rite? I have a very good credit history in US but i heard that they do not pull US credit report? Will the dealership even give me a car on financing as i dont have any credit history in Canada? I have an employment offer to show them though. Please advise

lpm12345678

Star Member
May 18, 2010
mailvdutt said:
Guys,

All i can say plan ur movement to Canada
Don't come here blindly.
If u r a software professional don't worry
There are plenty of jobs
if there are plenty of IT jobs, why was it removed from the list?

Deeaar

Oct 27, 2010
ABU DHABI , UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
Case Processing Pilot - Ottawa
NOC Code......
(1241-B) Oct 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUG 2007
Doc's Request.
AUG 2007
AOR Received.
OCT 2007
IELTS Request
FEB 2008 ( Total Band 8 )
File Transfer...
MARCH 2010
Med's Request
15/10/2010
Med's Done....
26/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
04/03/2011. Sent on 08/03/2011
VISA ISSUED...
30/03/2011
LANDED..........
25 July 2011
rilov said:
Dear Mr. Infogeek

your problems are not unique ..you may face the same problem anywhere in this world... and for that you are blaming the immigration systems..I am in Canada for the last two years.. before that i worked almost 8 years in USA .. i also lost my job ..i also struggled a lot ...but i never posted my worries and problem in a public board to demoralized others..

Your problems are nothing compare to those who suffer in Bosnia ,Iraq and Afghanistan ...you are very lucky to be in country where you are safe and you have freedom and more over a free health care.

I have no sympathy towards you and some body pictured you as a brave hearted because you are taking care of family and children.. What i felt is that in Canada its easy because they don't starve you to death...you get employment insurance and financial support for your children education education expenses

If you work in IT industry and if you are lazy guy and there will not be a Job for you .. you need to update you technology and you need to be very competent.. and try to be leader in what you do. I guess you are worried about more and more people coming to Canada . You have to compete with those new talent coming to the country. no other go.
If you want to succeed in life then you need to have more positive approach towards your life..
Thats a good one buddy. I liked ur way.
Pls share with us your experience and time spent in these 2 years in Canada.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers!!!

info-gc

Star Member
Nov 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Neel09 said:
Hi info-gc

I have currently 12 years of driving history in US. I am moving to edmonton on first week of december and would need to buy a car as soon as possible, possibly within a week. What would be my procedure to apply for Alberta license with US drivers license? So my US driving record will not be of any use there when i try to get car insurance?

I dont know if its worth to buy a car from private party. I am planning to get a brand new one from dealership but its insurance will be very high rite? I have a very good credit history in US but i heard that they do not pull US credit report? Will the dealership even give me a car on financing as i dont have any credit history in Canada? I have an employment offer to show them though. Please advise
Your credit rating has to be an international thing, so it will be transferable. You were probably insured in the States? Canada generally recognizes US credentials better than those of any other country, so your 12 years of driving will be considered and you will get a good insurance discount. New car insurances are higher, sport car (2 door car) insurances can also be higher in some provinces. If you do an online search you should be able to get the information needed.

peanuts

Sep 11, 2010
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
november 2009 to NS, may 2010 to VO
Doc's Request.
february 2010
AOR Received.
february 16, 2010; may 26, 2010
IELTS Request
copy submitted to CIO with initial app
File Transfer...
february 2010
Med's Request
august 2010
Med's Done....
august 18-19, 2010- med done: august 23- sent
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
september 22-received; october 1-sent; october 27- DM
VISA ISSUED...
visa received nov 11, 2010
LANDED..........
June 02, 2011 thank you God...
????????????????

ihabkal

Oct 8, 2010
info-gc said:
Sooner or later you will find out the reality yourself.
That's the same sentence every anti-immigtation website has on the front page. Now I am sure you're not who you say you are. Your writing style also is a testament that you were fromally trained to discourage immigrants.

kris905

Jan 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-March-2010
AOR Received.
17-May-2010
Med's Request
Nov 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2013
There is infact lot of information in his posts. I suggest you pick up what matters for you and move on. Why are you so particular on finding out his reasons to do or not do things? I believe one should open up completely and be unbiased to get the full picture. Not everyone has the same point of view

canada0801 said:
Never did you answer anything coherent and consistent with what you decsribe to be your current cisrumstances. Just once you said something to the effect that it would be a defeat to go back. That's like screaming from the inside of buring house, how terribly hot it was there, while standing at the door, and not walking outside of it - just because 'it would be a defeat'.
People don't do such things under real life pressures.
Either what you have in Canada is not as bad as you describe it OR else there must be something , some compelling reason or force preventing you from going back. You didn't not explain and did not point to either of these possibilities.
So my conclusion about all that you posted here so far: FAKE.
This poster can't answer simple questions because he is FAKE.
He has agenda and whatever it might be, it has nothing to do with good intentions towards future immigrants.

I already left this thread, as far as dialog with you was concerned. I just let others know what a waste of time you are.

info-gc

Star Member
Nov 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ihabkal said:
Now I am sure you're not who you say you are.
:D maybe you are not who you are!

I will write no more, as it is pointless to waste my time for a pile of rubbish.