+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just got my PGWP, eligibility for Express entry - FSW vs CEC

theBeard

Feb 26, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have some questions about the express entry. I have read a lot of stuff but still confused about few things.
I just completed my bachelor's in December 2020 and I have my PGWP and started working in NOC A right away after I got my PGWP. is it too early for me to think about express entry and I should wait for 1-year work experience and apply under CEC? or it is not a bad idea to explore FSW option. My current work experience in NOC A includes
-16 months of full-time co-op (while in school)
-5 months of part-time (while in school)
-2 months full-time on PGWP.
With what I have read so far and my work experience, I think I qualify for FSW right now, is that right?

And also how does PNP comes into this picture after I complete my express entry profile.

Thank you

Last edited:

kisiro191

Star Member
Jul 2, 2020
What is your CRS at this moment? If you apply through FSW, you will need to do ECA for your Bachelor's degree. And during current pandemic, FSW will not happen soon until the restriction is lifted. So it is up to you to create an EE profile and next year once you reach 1 year of experience, your profile will be automatically updated to become CEC applicant.

theBeard

Feb 26, 2021
What is your CRS at this moment? If you apply through FSW, you will need to do ECA for your Bachelor's degree. And during current pandemic, FSW will not happen soon until the restriction is lifted. So it is up to you to create an EE profile and next year once you reach 1 year of experience, your profile will be automatically updated to become CEC applicant.
Do I need ECA for my Canadian degree?
All my experience I mentioned above is in Canada and I am currently living here so I am not sure about pandemic restrictions you mentioned.
My current CRS is 520

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
All my experience I mentioned above is in Canada and I am currently living here so I am not sure about pandemic restrictions you mentioned.
My current CRS is 520
Are you counting 50 points for having a job offer? If so, do you have an approved LMIA from your employer?

kisiro191

Star Member
Jul 2, 2020
My current CRS is 520
you dont need ECA for Canadian degree. I mean even you are in Canada, but your profile currently falls under FSW program which will not be drawn at this moment.
Also how can you get 520 if you only have 1 Bachelor degree and 1 year of foreign experience ?

Reactions: theBeard

theBeard

Feb 26, 2021
Are you counting 50 points for having a job offer? If so, do you have an approved LMIA from your employer?
I do not and I am not sure about it. Is there any eligibility criteria to get that? I was expecting I would get that. But let’s say, even I don’t get it, my score stands at 470. Is it a good number to start creating my profile for express entry?
I am also going to apply for BC PNP, so I am guessing my score will get a bump from that.

theBeard

Feb 26, 2021
you dont need ECA for Canadian degree. I mean even you are in Canada, but your profile currently falls under FSW program which will not be drawn at this moment.
Also how can you get 520 if you only have 1 Bachelor degree and 1 year of foreign experience ?
I don’t have any foreign experience. All my experience is in Canada while in school and after school. And all in NOC A. I have updated my post for clearer breakdown of work experience. My score is at 470 when I choose NO for “job offer with accepted LMIA”, because I don’t know what that means.
Btw, thank you so much for your responses

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I don’t have any foreign experience. All my experience is in Canada while in school and after school. And all in NOC A. I have updated my post for clearer breakdown of work experience. My score is at 470 when I choose NO for “job offer with accepted LMIA”, because I don’t know what that means.
Btw, thank you so much for your responses
To be eligible for FSW, you need one year full time, continuous work experience. Was your Co-op work experience, continuous for at least a year. Then you can count it as foreign experience. Work experience while on a Canadian study permit doesn’t count as Canadian but foreign.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I do not and I am not sure about it. Is there any eligibility criteria to get that? I was expecting I would get that. But let’s say, even I don’t get it, my score stands at 470. Is it a good number to start creating my profile for express entry?
I am also going to apply for BC PNP, so I am guessing my score will get a bump from that.
It looks like you are on a PGWP. Since this is an open work permit, you need an approved LMIA from your employer in order to be able to claim the 50 job offer points. Otherwise you can't claim the points.

470 is an OK score for FSW but not great right now. FSW draws have not been held yet this year. When the program reopens, most of us are expecting cut off scores well above 470.

470 is a good score for CEC once you have a year of Canadian work experience (excluding any work you did as part of your studies) and assuming there is another CEC specific draw.

If you can get a PNP nomination, then yes, that would substantially bump your score.

No need to do ECA for Canadian education.

theBeard

Feb 26, 2021
To be eligible for FSW, you need one year full time, continuous work experience. Was your Co-op work experience, continuous for at least a year. Then you can count it as foreign experience. Work experience while on a Canadian study permit doesn’t count as Canadian but foreign.
My coop was 8 months, then I moved to part time for 5 months to a different company and then moved to full time right after that and its been 2 months. All continuous

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My coop was 8 months, then I moved to part time for 5 months to a different company and then moved to full time right after that and its been 2 months. All continuous
You say 16 months of full time co-op in your first post. So no breaks between each job and the same NOC.

kisiro191

Star Member
Jul 2, 2020
so you should wait for next year until you reach 1 year experience after PGWP. Any works during study do not count for CEC. Because you only have 8 month continuous full time co-op, you're still not eligible for FSW

theBeard

Feb 26, 2021
You say 16 months of full time co-op in your first post. So no breaks between each job and the same NOC.
Yea, total was 16 months of co-op. But it goes like this:
8 months of coop NOC A while in school
3 months on non-NOC A part-time while in school
1 month break
8 months co-op NOC A while in school
5 months NOC A part time while in school
2 months NOC A full time on PGWP

theBeard

Feb 26, 2021
It looks like you are on a PGWP. Since this is an open work permit, you need an approved LMIA from your employer in order to be able to claim the 50 job offer points. Otherwise you can't claim the points.

470 is an OK score for FSW but not great right now. FSW draws have not been held yet this year. When the program reopens, most of us are expecting cut off scores well above 470.

470 is a good score for CEC once you have a year of Canadian work experience (excluding any work you did as part of your studies) and assuming there is another CEC specific draw.

If you can get a PNP nomination, then yes, that would substantially bump your score.

No need to do ECA for Canadian education.
Thank you for your detailed explanation. I guess I will wait till I get my 1 year experience and apply under CEC.

One more question I have is that for applying PNP nomination. Can I only apply after I submit my profile?So it would be like
I wait for one year to be eligible under CEC
then submit my express entry profile
And then apply for PNP

Is that correct?

kisiro191

Star Member
Jul 2, 2020
Yea, total was 16 months of co-op. But it goes like this:
8 months of coop NOC A while in school
3 months on non-NOC A part-time while in school
1 month break
8 months co-op NOC A while in school
5 months NOC A part time while in school
2 months NOC A full time on PGWP
from my understanding, all these experiences can not be claimed because you only have maximum of 8 month continuous full time work. You have to work 10 months more to get 1 year.