+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****JUNE 2018 INLAND Application****

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
I don't think that's it. I'm applying as a German citizen (visa exempt) and I got it approved only on Sep 18 with a Jun 06 app received date. Some with mid/late June app received dates got it before me.

There seems to be about a 2-3 week window between the earliest and latest approvals for the same app received dates. Since your app was received in early July, you should probably give it another 1-3 weeks.

As to what causes these delays, I don't know. Probably something workflow related in how they divide up all the cases between their officers.

Edit: Also note that the time between receiving the app and AOR has gone down over the last few months from 6 weeks to 4 weeks. Work permit target processing times have remained pretty constant at 3-4 months. So for more recent applicants the wait between AOR and OWP approval might get a bit longer (because AORs are sent out quicker but won't actually speed up your OWP timeline).
I think you’re probably right about workflow between officers being the cause of the applications being approved slightly out of sync. My OWP was approved on the same day as you, yet your AOR was received over two weeks prior to mine.

Both of our OWPs were approved early according to the four month timescale IRCC quote, I’m also from a visa exempt country. This timescale of course is an average, a target, not a guarantee. I don’t think IRCC are concerned at all that someone may gets theirs a little earlier than someone who applied before that person. As long as the bulk of the OWPs are approved around the four month mark, they’re doing what they quoted they would.

A lot of us on here that received their OWPs in the last 4 weeks, have had their OWP approved around three to three and a half months after applying.

nna2324

Sep 20, 2018
It certainly can’t hurt to try them. You’re going be asking them to confirm something is on their system, pretty straight forward for them to deal with. If they have received it, it’ll be in the hands of someone in the processing centre in Edmonton, where your OWP is being processed. With a bit of luck, you may have it approved in a few days.

Keep us posted and good luck.
I called CIC this morning, they told me re-submitting the form would not affect the outcome or delay the processing, as you are allowed to send IMM 5476 at any time during the course of the application processing times. He said even though some people are receiving their owp within the 3 month status, doesn't neccessarily mean much. The time frame is approx 4 months, so I just need to wait it out. After 4 months, if there isn't anything, to call and request a review. So I am still within the time frame, as you said previously.
The waiting is so frustrating, even though I am so happy for everyone is getting theirs approved so quickly. It just adds to the anxiety on where's mine too?

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
I called CIC this morning, they told me re-submitting the form would not affect the outcome or delay the processing, as you are allowed to send IMM 5476 at any time during the course of the application processing times. He said even though some people are receiving their owp within the 3 month status, doesn't neccessarily mean much. The time frame is approx 4 months, so I just need to wait it out. After 4 months, if there isn't anything, to call and request a review. So I am still within the time frame, as you said previously.
The waiting is so frustrating, even though I am so happy for everyone is getting theirs approved so quickly. It just adds to the anxiety on where's mine too?
I thought they'd say that. I'm sure IRCC feel the four month processing time is reasonable, but if they're able to get some issued in less than three months, then that's good news for those individuals. I'm one of the lucky few to get their OWP issued just before the three month mark, so it's easy for me to say "just be patient", etc. But I know I'd be feeling the exact same way as you do right now if I was in your position. Fingers crossed you get approval with the next few days.

Out of interest, did the agent on the help line allude to why some approvals are being received around the three month period?

Good news that IMM 5476 doesn't affect processing time, I was pleasantly surprised to read that. If you've not had approval after 4 months, get straight on the phone and chase it up. Good luck, I'm sure you'll have some positive news to share soon.

Reactions: nna2324

nna2324

Sep 20, 2018
I thought they'd say that. I'm sure IRCC feel the four month processing time is reasonable, but if they're able to get some issued in less than three months, then that's good news for those individuals. I'm one of the lucky few to get their OWP issued just before the three month mark, so it's easy for me to say "just be patient", etc. But I know I'd be feeling the exact same way as you do right now if I was in your position. Fingers crossed you get approval with the next few days.

Out of interest, did the agent on the help line allude to why some approvals are being received around the three month period?

Good news that IMM 5476 doesn't affect processing time, I was pleasantly surprised to read that. If you've not had approval after 4 months, get straight on the phone and chase it up. Good luck, I'm sure you'll have some positive news to share soon.
He did not elaborate why some approvals have been completed quicker than others, just that the standard timeline is 4 months, and that he could not speak on why some individuals were able to get theirs quicker than others. Even though it is within the same time frame.
So it is just being patient and just waiting, theres really nothing to do to help speed the process.

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
He did not elaborate why some approvals have been completed quicker than others, just that the standard timeline is 4 months, and that he could not speak on why some individuals were able to get theirs quicker than others. Even though it is within the same time frame.
So it is just being patient and just waiting, theres really nothing to do to help speed the process.
If anyone that’s applied has submitted a complete application, and complied with any requests for further documents on time, then that really is all that person can do.

Sitting back and waiting isn’t a great feeling, I’m an impatient person, so this would be really bugging me. I can certainly appreciate how you’re feeling.

I’m getting fidgety just waiting for the hard copy of the OWP to be delivered in the mail, and it’s only been three days since it was issued...

RJ8812

Star Member
Jul 11, 2018
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
12/06/2018
AOR Received.
27/07/2018
LANDED..........
08-05-2018
We got a reply and it looks like my wife and I didn't pay the right amount for the OWP...but it's ok lol. Here's the letter we got:

The total required fees of $255.00 were not provided with your application; only $100.00 was included with your application. In order to avoid further delay in the processing of your Open Work Permit application and risk that you fall out of status, the required Work Permit fees have been recovered from the Right of Permanent Residence Fees (RPRF) you have submitted with your Application for Permanent Residence. As partial RPRF fees cannot be applied to your file, you will be receiving a refund of the balance in approximately 6 to 8 weeks. Please note that this will not affect the processing of your application.

In light of the above, the Right of Permanent Residence Fee is outstanding. Should your Application for Permanent Residence be successful, the IRCC office responsible for your landing interview will provide you with the instructions to the Right of Permanent Residence Fee ($490). You must follow these instructions and pay the required fees before permanent residence can be granted to you.DO NOT SUBMIT PAYMENT FOR YOUR OPEN WORK PERMIT APPLICATION ($255.00). As indicated above, these fees have already been recovered and should your Application for Permanent Residence be successful, you will be contacted at a later date for payment of any missing fees
Basically how we take this is, we didn't pay the right amount, but that's fine. We are deducting what was left to cover the OWP from the RPRF and you'll be getting a refund. When it comes to the application, if it's successful, the IRCC office will give us instructions on how the re-pay the PRF.

So I guess she will be receiving her OWP papers in the mail soon?

RJ8812

Star Member
Jul 11, 2018
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
12/06/2018
AOR Received.
27/07/2018
LANDED..........
08-05-2018
hey any updates on your owp ? i also applied june 14th and have not heard back as yet...
Yes, we received a message. It's "approved" but we didn't provide the right amount of money for it, but they will sort that out later

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
We got a reply and it looks like my wife and I didn't pay the right amount for the OWP...but it's ok lol. Here's the letter we got:

Basically how we take this is, we didn't pay the right amount, but that's fine. We are deducting what was left to cover the OWP from the RPRF and you'll be getting a refund. When it comes to the application, if it's successful, the IRCC office will give us instructions on how the re-pay the PRF.

You’re correct. They’ve taken the $155 from the RPRF and as a partial balance/partial payment can’t sit on the IRCC system, they’re going to refund the balance to you. There’s no obligation for applicants to pay the RPRF upfront, so they can do this.

My understanding is that you’ll need to pay the whole RPRF during the landing process. When the interview is being carried out, the officer conducting it will see the fee is to be paid, you’ll be instructed to go to the payment clerk within the IRCC Office, pay the fee, and then give the officer your receipt. That will then conclude the landing process.

You’re very lucky! There’s been quite a few people on this forum who have had their OWP applications returned for this. Not only that, their status had expired in some cases too, meaning another 9 months of no work permit, waiting for AiP.

The officer processing your application would appear to have gone above and beyond their duties for you. Great news for you. In my opinion, I could be mistaken of course, the OWP application must be correct and ready to be approved. Otherwise, why bother with all this extra administrative work, splitting payments, issuing cheques, etc?

With a bit of luck, your next correspondence from IRCC will be advising your account has been updated, and you’ll see approved status for your OWP. Good luck, I hope it’s all approved very soon for you.

RJ8812

Star Member
Jul 11, 2018
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
12/06/2018
AOR Received.
27/07/2018
LANDED..........
08-05-2018
You’re correct. They’ve taken the $155 from the RPRF and as a partial balance/partial payment can’t sit on the IRCC system, they’re going to refund the balance to you. There’s no obligation for applicants to pay the RPRF upfront, so they can do this.

My understanding is that you’ll need to pay the whole RPRF during the landing process. When the interview is being carried out, the officer conducting it will see the fee is to be paid, you’ll be instructed to go to the payment clerk within the IRCC Office, pay the fee, and then give the officer your receipt. That will then conclude the landing process.

You’re very lucky! There’s been quite a few people on this forum who have had their OWP applications returned for this. Not only that, their status had expired in some cases too, meaning another 9 months of no work permit, waiting for AiP.

The officer processing your application would appear to have gone above and beyond their duties for you. Great news for you. In my opinion, I could be mistaken of course, the OWP application must be correct and ready to be approved. Otherwise, why bother with all this extra administrative work, splitting payments, issuing cheques, etc?

With a bit of luck, your next correspondence from IRCC will be advising your account has been updated, and you’ll see approved status for your OWP. Good luck, I hope it’s all approved very soon for you.
Wow, that's great to hear! Thanks for that info

Reactions: 1887CAN

andybc

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018

First time I ever heard/read of such a case. Either you got super lucky or they implemented a new guideline. Seeing how paying 100 or 155 CAD instead of 255 CAD is one of the most common mistakes made it would certainly make sense to try to address that in this way.

Saves you time and saves them work.

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
My OWP arrived in the mail on Thursday. OWP was approved online September 11 and I received the printed OWP on September 20 in case anyone was wondering how long it takes for them to post it out.
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering how quickly the hard copy arrives. Out of interest, what’s in the envelope? Just the work permit, or any instructions/cover letter?

Also is it sent recorded or regular mail? It’s always a little inconvenient if I miss the mail arriving and have to go and collect the letter.

sector7g

Sep 2, 2018
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering how quickly the hard copy arrives. Out of interest, what’s in the envelope? Just the work permit, or any instructions/cover letter?

Also is it sent recorded or regular mail? It’s always a little inconvenient if I miss the mail arriving and have to go and collect the letter.
It arrived regular mail and it was just a single page OWP with no cover letter or additional documentation.

Reactions: 1887CAN