+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****JUNE 2018 INLAND Application****

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
Hi everyone,

Long time reader of the forum, first time posting. Just to give everyone a little update on my application, I’ve just had my OWP approved.

Timeline so far:

22nd June 18 - PR & OWP Application Recieved
2nd August 18 - AOR 1
4th August 18 - Linked to Online Account
19th September 18 - OWP Approved

I know from reading this thread so far, that everyone has a slightly different experience regarding the updates they receive from IRCC.

I’ve been in the habit of logging in every couple of days, and mostly seeing the status as ‘Submitted’. This morning the status changed to something along the lines of ‘Update Availabile’ I can’t remember the exact wording.

When I clicked on the OWP application, eligibility review was under way. Good news. About and hour later, I received an e-mail telling me a message had been posted to my account. I thought it was telling me the eligibility review was under way, and my status was still the same when I logged in. However, when I scrolled to the bottom of the page, there was a new message, and upon clicking this it opened a PDF confirming the application for temporary residence was approved.

Both the OWP and eTA have been issued, and the work permit document has been mailed to my current address.

For those of you with a similar timeline, I’d expect updates soon. My OWP received date when linked actually showed as 15th June 18, I think a lot of people have had the same thing happen, with the OWP showing received as 7 days prior to the application for PR. This appears to be normal.

Good luck to all of you waiting, hopefully your OWPs are issued soon. Mine took less than three months to be issued. I’m pretty pleased with that, I was expecting a four month wait at a minimum.

Last edited:

tommybahamah7

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
Hi everyone,

Long time reader of the forum, first time posting. Just to give everyone a little update on my application, I’ve just had my OWP approved.

Timeline so far:

22nd June 18 - PR & OWP Application Recieved
2nd August 18 - AOR 1
4th August 18 - Linked to Online Account
19th September 18 - OWP Approved

I know from reading this thread so far, that everyone has a slightly different experience regarding the updates they receive from CIC.

I’ve been in the habit of logging in every couple of days, and mostly seeing the status as ‘Submitted’. This morning the status changed to something along the lines of ‘Update Availabile’ I can’t remember the exact wording.

When I clicked on the OWP application, eligibility review was under way. Good news. About and hour later, I received an e-mail telling me a message had been posted to my account. I thought it was telling me the eligibility review was under way, and my status was still the same when I logged in. However, when I scrolled to the bottom of the page, there was a new message, and upon clicking this it opened a PDF confirming the application for temporary residence was approved.

Both the OWP and eTA have been issued, and the work permit document has been mailed to my current address.

For those of you with a similar timeline, I’d expect updates soon. My OWP received date when linked actually showed as 15th June 18, I think a lot of people have had the same thing happen, with the OWP showing received as 7 days prior to the application for PR. This appears to be normal.

Good luck to all of you waiting, hopefully your OWPs are issued soon. Mine took less than three months to be issued. I’m pretty pleased with that, I was expecting a four month wait at a minimum.
Congrats,, very good news... hoping for mine and everybody to come soon,,my app received June /27 and my AOR was August /4. And same thing my OWP application was a week early on line saying June/20 hoping for the end of the week,, good luck all.

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
Congrats,, very good news... hoping for mine and everybody to come soon,,my app received June /27 and my AOR was August /4. And same thing my OWP application was a week early on line saying June/20 hoping for the end of the week,, good luck all.
You may even get your confirmation before the end of the week, so hopefully, not long at all to go.

I’ve noticed that sometimes there’s a couple of days difference in the OWPs being issued. For example, someone with an AOR three days after someone else, may get their OWP issued first. So even if yours or someone else’s, takes a few days longer than you, or they, expected, it’s highly likely nothing at all to worry about.

Also, I’ve noticed a few people advising that their online status has not been updated too. I believe a forum member who commented on this thread received no updates or e-mails, and discovered their OWP was approved when they received it in the physical mail...

It does, however, appear that IRCC is well ahead of their quoted four month timeline for OWP approvals, recently granting most around the three month mark. A 25% improvement in wait times is great news for all of us.

And for anyone wondering, Service Canada can only issue your SIN number when you produce the actual printed work permit. I asked them in person earlier if they could use the PDF confirmation I received, and they advised that they couldn’t. I thought it was worth a try, and I understand their reasoning. The gentleman there advised me to bring my passport, work permit, and if you have one, a Canadian driver’s licence. My home country has a reciprocal exchange agreement with Canada, so I was able to get an Ontario licence when I first arrived. I’m not sure how this works if your existing licence isn’t acceptable in this program, or how the process is in other provinces for that matter. I think I’ve heard that BC won’t issue a licence until you have at least AiP, but I could be mistaken.

Last edited:

tommybahamah7

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
You may even get your confirmation before the end of the week, so hopefully, not long at all to go.

I’ve noticed that sometimes there’s a couple of days difference in the OWPs being issued. For example, someone with an AOR three days after someone else, may get their OWP issued first. So even if yours or someone else’s, takes a few days longer than you, or they, expected, it’s highly likely nothing at all to worry about.

Also, I’ve noticed a few people advising that their online status has not been updated too. I believe a forum member who commented on this thread received no updates or e-mails, and discovered their OWP was approved when they received it in the physical mail...

It does, however, appear that CRIC is well ahead of their quoted four month timeline for OWP approvals, recently granting most around the three month mark. A 25% improvement in wait times is great news for all of us.

And for anyone wondering, Service Canada can only issue your SIN number when you produce the actual printed work permit. I asked them in person earlier if they could use the PDF confirmation I received, and they advised that they couldn’t. I thought it was worth a try, and I understand their reasoning. The gentleman there advised me to bring my passport, work permit, and if you have one, a Canadian driver’s licence. My country has a reciprocal exchange agreement with Canada, so I was able to get an Ontario licence when I first arrived. I’m not sure how this works if your existing licence isn’t acceptable in this program, or how the process is in other provinces for that matter. I think I’ve heard that BC won’t issue a licence until you have at least AiP, but I could be mistaken.
Yes I think u r right about the timing but we will all get it... it just a big waiting game... good luck now hunting a job..

Reactions: 1887CAN

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
Yes I think u r right about the timing but we will all get it... it just a big waiting game... good luck now hunting a job..
Thanks! And good luck to you and everyone else searching too.

It’s nice to be able to get on with living a normal life whilst the PR application is processed in the background. I’m glad IRCC were able to see how valuable it is for people in our positions to be able to work whilst awaiting processing. Good for us, good for the CRA, and good for Canada in general.

Last edited:

Yasir Ayub

Star Member
Jul 9, 2018
Exact dates and timelines for me as well, fingers crossed and hoping to hear from CIC soon.
Let us know when you do hear something on OWP approval.

nna2324

Sep 20, 2018
My timeline is about the same:
OWP
June 25th received (back dated to June 18th)
Aug 3rd - AOR1

They requested that I resend "IMM 5476" yesterday, I'm terrified it might delay the processing, since so many people are being approved for OWP around the same timeline as myself.

Still no change on cic, nothing.. I had to resubmit the document on the web form, not my gc key account...

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
My timeline is about the same:
OWP
June 25th received (back dated to June 18th)
Aug 3rd - AOR1

They requested that I resend "IMM 5476" yesterday, I'm terrified it might delay the processing, since so many people are being approved for OWP around the same timeline as myself.

Still no change on cic, nothing.. I had to resubmit the document on the web form, not my gc key account...
If you’ve had to resubmit a form, that will likely delay the processing. By how much, I’m not sure. Maybe someone else here that has dealt with this situation themselves could advise you.

IMM 5476 is for the use of a representative, if I’m not mistaken, so if you are using a representative, I believe they’ll be receiving all of the various updates that IRCC sends, unless you’ve been able to opt out of this. I didn’t use a representative, so my knowledge on this topic isn’t that great.

The people who have been receiving their OWPs within the 3 month timeframe haven’t had to resubmit any documention, so these cases are relatively straightforward. IRCC are quoting that OWPs are being approved with 4 months, so yours isn’t really delayed until that timeframe passes. Even then, the times they quote are to be considered as a guide, not necessarily a target they aim for.

I hope the OWP is approved for you soon, ask your representative to keep you notified of any changes if they’re receiving the updates from IRCC on your behalf.

Reactions: nna2324

nna2324

Sep 20, 2018
If you’ve had to resubmit a form, that will likely delay the processing. By how much, I’m not sure. Maybe someone else here that has dealt with this situation themselves could advise you.

IMM 5476 is for the use of a representative, if I’m not mistaken, so that means if you’re using a representative, they will be receiving all of the various updates that IRCC sends. You won’t receive anything from them directly.

The people who have been receiving their OWPs within the 3 month timeframe haven’t had to resubmit any documention, so these cases are relatively straightforward. IRCC are quoting that OWPs are being approved with 4 months, so yours isn’t really delayed until that timeframe passes. Even then, the times they quote are to be considered as a guide, not necessarily a target they aim for.
I was submitting that form for my spouse to have access, and for them to access my port entries into canada with CBSA as one of the agents told me to over the phone. Since my passport wasn't stamped, and we no longer had boarding passes to submit. They said that could delay or deny if they believe I don't have proper status here. So I was able to get cbsa to send me my last entry also they said they could talk to cbsa on my behalf if I submitted that to have the proper record of entry date.
So I guess now its just wait... its a struggle though. and very frustrating...

1887CAN

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
I was submitting that form for my spouse to have access, and for them to access my port entries into canada with CBSA as one of the agents told me to over the phone. Since my passport wasn't stamped, and we no longer had boarding passes to submit. They said that could delay or deny if they believe I don't have proper status here. So I was able to get cbsa to send me my last entry also they said they could talk to cbsa on my behalf if I submitted that to have the proper record of entry date.
So I guess now its just wait... its a struggle though. and very frustrating...
I see, so the form was for spousal access to your records, not because you were using an immigration consultant. In that case, there’s likely a chance that this will not cause a huge delay in processing, maybe a few days for the IRCC to process the new documentation. Hopefully someone who’s had a similar experience to you previously, can offer some advice. This particular topic is somewhat new to me.

I did, however, have an entry to Canada through an airport, where the CBSA didn’t stamp my passport. I enclosed a letter with all the other entry stamps I sent as part of my OWP application advising the date, time, and flight number I arrived on. This was from 2013, so because it wasn’t to prove my current status, they either didn’t care about the stamp being missing, or they verified my claim with the CBSA.

If you’re being asked to prove you have valid current status, it’s probably only due to the requirement that for an OWP to approved, you need valid status. Once IRCC has that confirmed, barring any other issues, the OWP should be issued. Hopefully, this won’t delay the processing. You could try calling the call centre and asking them to confirm receipt and if it’s been processed. They may be able to help.

Reactions: nna2324