+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

June 2014 Citizenship Application.

Desert Lion

Mar 14, 2014
Can any one tell me about the interview after the test, what is it about, what questions might be asked

What is the oath is about, and do we need to bring any thing during the oath and will be another interview in the oath

Thanks

sanacast

Star Member
Oct 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Desert Lion said:
Today I did receive the invitation letter to appear for the test in June 2015,
Congrats !

Can u share yoiur timeline and local office ??

Thanks

wert

Mar 18, 2010
Got my Oath invite yesterday for the end of April. Total processing just under 11 months for me here in Vancouver.

jcpyeg

Star Member
Jun 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
13-12-2010
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
28-01-2011
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
02-10-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
16-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2011
LANDED..........
26-03-2011
I was greatly surprised to receive notice on March 26th to come and take the Citizenship Test on April 15th! My eCas was updated a couple of days later.

There were likely somewhere around fifty people taking the test with me. I passed the test with 20/20. The interview was very brief, probably less than five minutes, and the officer said my application was in perfect order and had no concerns. I had many travel dates, but had included a letter saying the dates were approximate, as well as scans from all pages of my passport, with the application. This apparently helped, as the officer didn't even look at my actual passport really. I also brought some original documents with me to show them (e.g. diplomas, tax documents, etc), which they seemed to appreciate, but didn't really require. They said the Oath of Citizenship is usually scheduled within 2-4 months, but specifically mentioned it could be as soon as a month from now, and pointed out a month would be mid-May. They said it all depends on how many applicants are ahead of me. I don't know if they say that to everyone, or if it was specific to my case, and whether or not it's some sort of hint...

There are no updates to eCas yet, and I understand eCas may not update again until after I get the invitation to the Oath of Citizenship, if it even updates again at all.

My timeline is below.

grape70

Sep 22, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
11months of journey finally has come to an end.
As of today, I officially became a Canadian citizen.
Wish all the best and hope everyone gets the oath date soon ;)

catchvb

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First few email-AOR recipient.. Waiting for Oath Letter and it is frustrating to wait for 2 months after the test..
Hopefully soon.

I have a question. I have to travel to US by ROAD. Lets say I get my oath done a day or two before my travel date. No time to applying/receiving passport by normal processing before I travel.

If I travel with Old Passport + Citizenship Certificate + Landing Document + Passport Application Receipt.
I can enter USA without any issues but coming back to Canada? Not sure. Do you think CBSA will let me enter Canada with those documents?

jcpyeg

Star Member
Jun 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
13-12-2010
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
28-01-2011
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
02-10-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
16-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2011
LANDED..........
26-03-2011
grape70 said:
11months of journey finally has come to an end.
As of today, I officially became a Canadian citizen.
Wish all the best and hope everyone gets the oath date soon ;)
Congrats grape70! Thanks, and hoping to hear good news soon!

catchvb said:
If I travel with Old Passport + Citizenship Certificate + Landing Document + Passport Application Receipt.
I can enter USA without any issues but coming back to Canada? Not sure. Do you think CBSA will let me enter Canada with those documents?
I think best case scenario, you can expect a LOT of questioning, and possibly being sent to Secondary. It would depend on the particular customs agent you get, what his or her mood is at the time, etc. I may face a similar situation in a few months, if I've not yet taken my oath by then. We're holding off on traveling until we know exactly when my oath is...

If you take your oath a couple of days before leaving, you can hopefully apply for an expedited (same-day) passport, which is considerably more expensive, but would be the safer option I think.

catchvb

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jcpyeg said:
Congrats grape70! Thanks, and hoping to hear good news soon!

I think best case scenario, you can expect a LOT of questioning, and possibly being sent to Secondary. It would depend on the particular customs agent you get, what his or her mood is at the time, etc. I may face a similar situation in a few months, if I've not yet taken my oath by then. We're holding off on traveling until we know exactly when my oath is...

If you take your oath a couple of days before leaving, you can hopefully apply for an expedited (same-day) passport, which is considerably more expensive, but would be the safer option I think.
If I have not taken oath no issue as I will have PR card.
If I have taken oath and do not have Canadian passport in hand..(expedited is expensive ..I will try not to take that).I am travelling by road only for the weekend. Even I get sent for secondary evaluation and lets say it takes 30 minutes. I will take that if they let me in.
If I travel by AIR I will definitely get the passport (expedite or whatever way) before leaving Canada.
I wanted to get an idea if they will let me in.
Probably I will play dumb at border..

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So happy for many juners becoming canadian citizens! especially those from Alberta which is speeding up the process!
its time to travel freely in beautiful summer!

catchvb

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
catchvb said:
If I have not taken oath no issue as I will have PR card.
If I have taken oath and do not have Canadian passport in hand..(expedited is expensive ..I will try not to take that).I am travelling by road only for the weekend. Even I get sent for secondary evaluation and lets say it takes 30 minutes. I will take that if they let me in.
If I travel by AIR I will definitely get the passport (expedite or whatever way) before leaving Canada.
I wanted to get an idea if they will let me in.
Probably I will play dumb at border..
Just called CIC call center and the agent confirmed my oath is on 7th May (Thursday). They have prepared letter today and will be posting it today.

I have to travel by road on May-15. Earliest I can apply for passport (after two business days of oath) on Tuesday 12th in-person. I am sure I will not have my passport by 15th (in normal processing.)

So shall I travel to US by road with Passport+Copy of PR Card+Landing Paper+Driver's License+Citizenship Certificate?

jcpyeg

Star Member
Jun 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
13-12-2010
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
28-01-2011
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
02-10-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
16-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2011
LANDED..........
26-03-2011
catchvb said:
Just called CIC call center and the agent confirmed my oath is on 7th May (Thursday). They have prepared letter today and will be posting it today.

I have to travel by road on May-15. Earliest I can apply for passport (after two business days of oath) on Tuesday 12th in-person. I am sure I will not have my passport by 15th (in normal processing.)

So shall I travel to US by road with Passport+Copy of PR Card+Landing Paper+Driver's License+Citizenship Certificate?
My advice is to pay the same-day expedited fee. It's worth it for the peace of mind alone. No one on this forum can give you any guarantee of what may happen if you try and enter with those documents alone. It all depends on the specific customs agent who interviews you, and whether or not he or she is satisfied by the documents you have (and satisfaction may vary depending on their mood, or how 'by-the-book' they follow their processes).

If I were you, I'd pay for the same-day passport, and not risk any issues.