+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

June 2013 applications

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
You mean I 94 arrival and departure form? It has to be returned to the airlines or Canadian CBSA once you come to Canada unless you do plan to go back to US within 30 days. Otherwise US CBP would assume you were in the US all that time until you returned the I 94.

vias

Star Member
Aug 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dejaavu said:
You mean I 94 arrival and departure form? It has to be returned to the airlines or Canadian CBSA once you come to Canada unless you do plan to go back to US within 30 days. Otherwise US CBP would assume you were in the US all that time until you returned the I 94.
Oh ..I was not aware of this.

My I-94A form attached to my passport and the officer at the gate didn't stop me anytime or not asked to return the form while returning to Canada. After completing of my 6 months, i use to go inside the office and that time they took my previous I-94 A paper and issued new one.

Seems like i messed up ... Do you know what I can do in this situation ...

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
did you return to you original I 94 to US Cbp?
If you did no worries.

They did away with the paper I 94 as of may or april 2013. they no longer issue them.

Did they send you to secondary inspection and ask you questions?

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Usually airlines in the US would remove the I 94 and send it to cbp. sometimes they forget.

since I was a student in the US, our international office would always tell us to return that form unless we go to canada or mexico for less than 30 days.

vias

Star Member
Aug 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just checked my passport ...Here is the history..

First time entry stamping .....Jan 2011 valid till June 21011 ....during this 6 months period , visited US around 5 times ...All are days trips, was in US only few hours for shopping

Second time entry stamping ..... March 2012 ,This time officer took my previous year I-94A form and issued new one ..Its valid till sept 2012....during this 6 months period , visited US around 3 times............All are days trips, was in US only few hours for shopping

Third stamping .....October 2013, office took my previous year I-94A form and issued new one ...valid till April 2014 ( i still have form with me )...

All my visits by Car , via Vancouver border. Each visit is less than 10 hours.

vias

Star Member
Aug 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did they send you to secondary inspection and ask you questions?

[/quote]

No, they didn't send me for secondary inspection

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
you should be fine.

just return the I 94 on the way back to a cbsa officer. i guess they still issue them land border.

vias

Star Member
Aug 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dejaavu said:
you should be fine.

just return the I 94 on the way back to a cbsa officer. i guess they still issue them land border.
i hope so ......I will apply for CBP report to make sure everything fine, if not i guess have to prove my return with Bank statements/Salary slips ..etc.

Thank you for all the information ...

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
you are welcome.

now that there is a perimeter security between usa and canada both cbp and cbsa share information on third country citizens' entry and exit so you should be fine but it is always best to get the report from the cbp and if there are issues to get them corrected by proof of residence in canada.
but since they allowed you entry last time you went, there are no issues. usa cbp is very strict when it comes to overstays and their system works much better than cbsa knowing when a person left usa.

MKJ

Star Member
Dec 4, 2013
Hi Dejaavu,

Nice to see you are on top of everything.

I am missing only one entry stamp in Canada at Pearson Airport. I do not have boarding pass etc. I do have an exit stamp from departing country.

Do you think it's worth chasing the CBSA report? If yes, please help me with the process.

Thanks and Regards,
MKJ

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vias said:
I just checked my passport ...Here is the history..

First time entry stamping .....Jan 2011 valid till June 21011 ....during this 6 months period , visited US around 5 times ...All are days trips, was in US only few hours for shopping

Second time entry stamping ..... March 2012 ,This time officer took my previous year I-94A form and issued new one ..Its valid till sept 2012....during this 6 months period , visited US around 3 times............All are days trips, was in US only few hours for shopping

Third stamping .....October 2013, office took my previous year I-94A form and issued new one ...valid till April 2014 ( i still have form with me )...

All my visits by Car , via Vancouver border. Each visit is less than 10 hours.
Just a quick question to tell you how a CIC agent would reason :

If you went shopping to the USA for just a few hours, do you have the tax slips for the goods you purchased in the US ? ( if you go to the USA for less than 24hours, you have to declare everything you purchased to canadian customs!

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
MKJ,

I would get the CBSA report. It is free. It will take about two months to get it.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/req-dem-info-eng.html

vias

Star Member
Aug 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramsfe,

There is a limit of $50 per head for the trips less than 24hours. We usually go like 5 people, so we only buy max of $250, in this case we dont have to pay additional taxes.

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vias said:
ramsfe,

There is a limit of $50 per head for the trips less than 24hours. We usually go like 5 people, so we only buy max of $250, in this case we dont have to pay additional taxes.
Vias, there is no allowance for those who travel for less than 24 hours, the information is written clearly at the exist points, at the duty free shops as well as on the Revenue agency's website : http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifcrc-rpcrc-eng.html

vias

Star Member
Aug 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramsfe said:
Vias, there is no allowance for those who travel for less than 24 hours, the information is written clearly at the exist points, at the duty free shops as well as on the Revenue agency's website : http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifcrc-rpcrc-eng.html
I agree, but we always declared what we purchased and CIC officer never said anything or asked to pay tax.

What i hear from my friends, even though less than 24hours & 24 hours are different slots....CIC officers some times treat same.