+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job prospects after Canadian MBA?

dwingrider

Dec 16, 2013
Hello,

I am planning to do my MBA from Canada and have been doing some research on the schools. So far I have shortlised- York-Schulich, UBC-Sauder, McMaster-DeGroote, Ottawa-Telfer and Wilfrid Laurier.

I have read some discouraging articles online (one in Mcleans.ca and others in canadian forums) about the job prospects for international students in Canada. They state that even highly-educated people are not finding jobs in Canada after studying in Canada and are having to work in survival jobs. The priority is only given to people with Canadian nationality or Canadian experience, and internationals cant even get any interviews! ???
Is this true? Because then it wouldnt make sense to take huge loans to do an MBA and then not being able to find a job in Canada.

If anyone already studying in Canada, working in Canada or considering studying there can throw any light on the job scenario, I would be really grateful.

dwingrider

Dec 16, 2013
vatish said:
Can you post link of articles that you read?
I saved the link for the one on McLeans. Dont remember where the other one was though. Also, the posts in this forum under "finding work in Canada" do not seem very encouraging.

Here is the link-
www2.macleans.ca/2013/04/24/land-of-misfortune/

vatish

Star Member
May 9, 2013
There is definitely a lot of risk involved considering amount of money you will be spending for an MBA degree but you need to consider rewards as well that Canada can offer.

Think about what your life will be 10 years hence in India and in Canada and take a call :)

dwingrider

Dec 16, 2013
Thanks for the reply Vatish :)

I am aware of the benefits of living in Canada over India, that is the reason I am pursuing this dream (that is the reason all of us are in fact)
I am wondering if there is someone who did their higher studies in Canada, got a job and is living the "Canadian dream". Any success stories out there?

vatish

Star Member
May 9, 2013
Well I am going for full time MBA program from Schulich starting this January and have heard about lots of people getting good jobs after graduating from there. I am still waiting for my visa though :( Lets c how it goes....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
dwingrider said:

I am aware of the benefits of living in Canada over India, that is the reason I am pursuing this dream (that is the reason all of us are in fact)
I am wondering if there is someone who did their higher studies in Canada, got a job and is living the "Canadian dream". Any success stories out there?
Sure - there are definitely success stories.

I have someone working for me who came as an international student from India to complete his MBA at Rotman. In the summer (between semesters) he managed to secure a paid summer co-op at one of the big banks. Once summer was over, we asked him if he wanted to continue working for us part time during the second year of his studies - which he did. A few months later we offered him a full time position once he was finished with his MBA studies. He's now been working with us full time for a number of month as a senior analyst and I believe he's applied for PR through Ontario PNP. His wife came to Canada about a year ago on an OWP. She recently secured a good job with one of the other big banks.

Neither of them have contacts in Canada and I know both have worked hard to succeed here.

So yes - there are certainly success stories.

Reactions: romanuncle

winsor

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
@Dwingrider:

I am trying for MBA in canada as well, can u give me ur mail id or any other contact info? i need some guidance regardign the B-schools in canada

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dwingrider said:

Hello dwingrider

I am in Canada for the past 5 years - I did my Bachelors in engineering here and now working full-time - applied for PR nomination as well. In my case, I was lucky enough to get a job before entering the final semester of degree ...not everyone gets it the same way. I have a lot of friends both MBA and engineering students - some were able to get a job within a month or two after graduation and some are looking for a job even after 6 -7 months.

I read the article and certain things are true - it is comparatively harder for international students or immigrants to find a job - coz of the following reasons

1. No canadian references - This is very important for Canadian employers
2. Very few contacts in the business sector
3. No Canadian work exp - Canadians gain this by working part - time even while they are in high school so yeah.

The trick here is to try your best to secure an internship/summer position during your break ( I worked for an oil company after my 3 year) and also work part-time during school. This accomplishes two goals - One you get canadian experience and second you get a Canadian reference.
These two things combined with your Canadian degree and early job search will definitely land you a good job within 2 months of graduation.

propain

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My friend and I are also applying for MBA in 2014.

Profile:

10th-81%
12th-80%
Bcom-58%
PGDM - 75%
Ielts score - 7.5

GMAT - giving next month

3 years pricing analyst with BMW.

In Canada from more than a year.

saranjeet singh

Star Member
Aug 9, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vermanaman said:
Hello dwingrider

I am in Canada for the past 5 years - I did my Bachelors in engineering here and now working full-time - applied for PR nomination as well. In my case, I was lucky enough to get a job before entering the final semester of degree ...not everyone gets it the same way. I have a lot of friends both MBA and engineering students - some were able to get a job within a month or two after graduation and some are looking for a job even after 6 -7 months.

I read the article and certain things are true - it is comparatively harder for international students or immigrants to find a job - coz of the following reasons

1. No canadian references - This is very important for Canadian employers
2. Very few contacts in the business sector
3. No Canadian work exp - Canadians gain this by working part - time even while they are in high school so yeah.

The trick here is to try your best to secure an internship/summer position during your break ( I worked for an oil company after my 3 year) and also work part-time during school. This accomplishes two goals - One you get canadian experience and second you get a Canadian reference.
These two things combined with your Canadian degree and early job search will definitely land you a good job within 2 months of graduation.
helo bro could you pls tell me ur email..i have some queries...help.!!

winsor

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
saranjeet singh said:
I have mailed him already, he told he just started the process and doesnt have much idea n we consult senior advisors..:p

strange, for some1 who has shortlisted some of the top b-schools of canada

saranjeet singh

Star Member
Aug 9, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
winsor said:
I have mailed him already, he told he just started the process and doesnt have much idea n we consult senior advisors..:p

strange, for some1 who has shortlisted some of the top b-schools of canada
but i want to know abt engineering.. hes experienced..he can teach us many things :)

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
saranjeet singh said:
Hello Saranjit..
If this post is about me....please feel free to ask whatever you want here or you can message directly using your inbox.
I am sorry I cannot provide my e-mail address on this forum.