+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job prospects after Canadian MBA?

winsor

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
vermanaman said:
Hello Saranjit..
If this post is about me....please feel free to ask whatever you want here or you can message directly using your inbox.
I am sorry I cannot provide my e-mail address on this forum.
my reply is nt for u..it was for who started the thread

dwingrider

Dec 16, 2013
winsor said:
I have mailed him already, he told he just started the process and doesnt have much idea n we consult senior advisors..:p

strange, for some1 who has shortlisted some of the top b-schools of canada
Its not strange...for shortlisting u can visit univ websites and look at how much Gmat scores they want, how much work exp, even look at previous students profile. Shortlisting top univs doesnt make me an expert. Things also vary by your undergrad field of study.

saranjeet singh

Star Member
Aug 9, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vermanaman said:
Hello Saranjit..
If this post is about me....please feel free to ask whatever you want here or you can message directly using your inbox.
I am sorry I cannot provide my e-mail address on this forum.
check your inbox bro !

winsor

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
yeah right..thats wt i was trying to say to who might approach u..that ur nt expert

anyways.i only want to convey we should help each other...the others who r replying are nt experts too

erictwendell

Jan 16, 2014
If suppose I was having such financial problems I would definitely had gone for online MBA and prepare me with the fact that I had to search job on the basis of this degree. Its not that tough to get a job if your having potential. But yes many Indian and Asians prefer Canada for their MBA as there are many institutions which allows work for 5 to 6 hours a day while studying there. So choosing such MBA institutions can always be beneficial.

DeccanPlateau

Mar 15, 2014
Does working co-op make life any easier for an international student? The reason I am considering the co-op MBA program at McMaster is that it would have me work three terms for Canadian corporations. Would that give me the Canadian experience I'd need to land a job after I have graduated?

Co-op MBA programs (at least the ones that McMaster and Wilfrid Laurier offer) seem to be designed for candidates with minimal or zero work experience.

If you think I'm right, please say as much. If you think I'm wrong, do not hesitate to disillusion me, and please do not mince your words while you're at it.

Hopefulagain

Apr 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DeccanPlateau said:
Does working co-op make life any easier for an international student? The reason I am considering the co-op MBA program at McMaster is that it would have me work three terms for Canadian corporations. Would that give me the Canadian experience I'd need to land a job after I have graduated?

Co-op MBA programs (at least the ones that McMaster and Wilfrid Laurier offer) seem to be designed for candidates with minimal or zero work experience.

If you think I'm right, please say as much. If you think I'm wrong, do not hesitate to disillusion me, and please do not mince your words while you're at it.
Yup, Co-op prog with McMaster would definitely help you get that Canadian experience that many international students lack. But you have to remember that it doesnt guarantee you a job. You still have to compete with 100s of applicants. There is no 1 reason that helps or is a barrier for someone to land with a job - university, Canadian experience, industry, interviewing skills, resume writing, networking - all of these play a role.

I completed my MBA from Canada and luckily ended up with a job within 2 months of passing out - but those 2 months were pure hell :D

Many of my classmates did end up with a job but there were also some that did not land a job and had to go back. That doesnt mean that they were any less capable but............... One thing everyone has to understand is that the job market is not any better here than anywhere else.

However, if i have to point out what the most important thing that one has to remember while doing their MBA here in Canada is, then I would say that it has to be internship (for FT MBA students) or Co-op. It gives you that sought after "Canadian experience". Everyone coming here for MBA SHOULD complete at least 1 work stint before the end of their course. Now, that internship/Co-op is also very difficult to come by but, you should give your darnest best to get one.

DeccanPlateau

Mar 15, 2014
Thanks for a well-written answer. Great to know that you managed to land a job within as few as two months of graduating - no mean feat, I daresay. :D

I like to say that the best answers are the ones that lead to more questions. So here goes:

1. Is there a significant difference between an internship and a co-op?

2. You say that there were international students in your cohort who couldn't find a job and therefore had to go back. Were these students an unfortunate minority? I do hope so.

3. Would my co-op salary take the sting off the extortionate tuition of the MBA program? Would I be able to make close to half the amount if I worked three co-op jobs?

4. Although I am much more comfortable speaking English than I am speaking French, I am not too bad at the latter. Would that help my cause when I'm out looking for a job in Ontario? In fact, I also speak the mother-tongues of two of the largest immigrant communities in Canada. Is that any good in a city like Toronto?

5. I won't have a jot of Canadian experience (unless you count a three-month exchange program in Northern Ontario, which didn't entail any non-academic work) when I apply for my first co-op job. Would that be a handicap? Given that most MBA co-op programs are designed for students with little or no work experience, would I be in the same boat as most of my Canada-born classmates when recruiters come to campus looking to hire us for our co-op terms?

Cheers! :D

ramneet.b

Star Member
Nov 28, 2013
Hi,
Have Read all the replies and got to a conclusion, correct me if I am wrong.
1. Co op/internship programs are to be looked upon as they give you canadian work -ex. which is a + point
2. I have seen mostly people land up a job weather early or late and until then do odd jobs.

Few Quieries-

1. Is there a majority who are able to secure a job after completing MBA with some specific specialization?
2. After doing engineering and having Work ex in IT for 2 years, which MBA specialization will be helpfull??

Hopefulagain

Apr 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DeccanPlateau said:
Thanks for a well-written answer. Great to know that you managed to land a job within as few as two months of graduating - no mean feat, I daresay. :D

I like to say that the best answers are the ones that lead to more questions. So here goes:

1. Is there a significant difference between an internship and a co-op?
Full time MBA students do an internship, usually during the summer vacation after they have completed their 2 semesters. Co-op is the program. Full time MBA is 4 semesters of studies whereas co-op is 4 semesters of studies plus 3 semesters of work stint. co-op progs are usually a bit more expensive than the full time MBA but for people coming to Canada for the first time and not having too much/no work experience, it is a BIG +. Summer internship is not mandatory for full time MBA student and you would have to work your butt of to get one. The work stints are a part of co-op curriculum, and the college will REALLY work with you to get one. Now that doesnt mean it is guaranteed but since the college's reputation rests on all its co-op students getting work terms, they will put in some extra work. However, you still have to work your butt off - resumes, networking, interviewing etc

2. You say that there were international students in your cohort who couldn't find a job and therefore had to go back. Were these students an unfortunate minority? I do hope so.

very few.but, my point was that you have to understand that if you come to Canada to study it doesnt automatically guarantee you a job. You still have to put in all the hard work.....maybe a bit more, because its a different country, different work culture etc

3. Would my co-op salary take the sting off the extortionate tuition of the MBA program? Would I be able to make close to half the amount if I worked three co-op jobs?
Let me put it this way, it will help. Again, it all depends on where you find your work terms. some companies pay better than the others. You might have to shift to different city for one of your work term and that could drive up your rent costs, food, travel etc. I dont know what are your spending habits. My suggestion would be that make sure that you have enough to support yourself even without this additional income. In my case, since I had done a full time MBA, my 4 month salary helped pay off my 2 semesters' fees. But, I am a stingy fool. ;D Yes, these co-op terms will definitely help but I dont think you should plan your MBA with this as your fallback plan.

4. Although I am much more comfortable speaking English than I am speaking French, I am not too bad at the latter. Would that help my cause when I'm out looking for a job in Ontario? In fact, I also speak the mother-tongues of two of the largest immigrant communities in Canada. Is that any good in a city like Toronto?
Being bilingual is ALWAYS helpful

5. I won't have a jot of Canadian experience (unless you count a three-month exchange program in Northern Ontario, which didn't entail any non-academic work) when I apply for my first co-op job. Would that be a handicap? Given that most MBA co-op programs are designed for students with little or no work experience, would I be in the same boat as most of my Canada-born classmates when recruiters come to campus looking to hire us for our co-op terms?
Yes, you first co-op could be a challenge but it also depends on how you spin your experience in your resume. Its all about you showing the recruiter why you are the best choice for the role. I was selected for my internship over some of my classmates and, honestly, when I had gotten the call I was a little surprised too because I had thought that one of my Canadian classmates would have gotten the job but later I found out, that my manager was extremely impressed with the way I had told my story of how good a fit I would be in the organization. So dont underestimate yourself.

Cheers! :D

lucifer_2510

May 27, 2014
Kolkata
Category........
Visa Office......
Kolkata
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2014
Doc's Request.
Medical Upfront
IELTS Request
7.5 Bands
File Transfer...
01-08-2014
Med's Request
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
11-07-2014
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
31-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-08-2014
LANDED..........
21-08-2014
Re: Job prospects after Canadian diploma?

hello,

anyone there ? can anyone tell me the propect of job in canada after completing 2 yr. post graduate diploma in bussiness adminstratioon ? and where can i find appartments for rent or shared appartments within CAD 100 - 200 ?? Please write back to me as i am considering it pretty seriously !!!!

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
Re: Job prospects after Canadian diploma?

lucifer_2510 said:
hello,
anyone there ? can anyone tell me the propect of job in canada after completing 2 yr. post graduate diploma in bussiness adminstratioon ? and where can i find appartments for rent or shared appartments within CAD 100 - 200 ?? Please write back to me as i am considering it pretty seriously !!!!
I seriously hope you are joking, if not you are in for some serious shock when you come here.

Depending on the city and area, a single room can cost anywhere from $400-$750 a month. You are looking at around 1200-1500 CAD a month in living expenses.

Also, jobs depend on your luck. Employers are hesitent to hire people without any Canadian experience. So it may be difficult to get a decent job until you pay your "dues". The good news is that you will be allowed to work part time from day 1-this will help in making connection and getting that all important Canadian experience.