+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job Assignment abroad while I am a PR

tender_heart

Star Member
Jul 19, 2012
Hi,

I am a PR holder and currently work as full time employee for a large company in Canada.

My employer are offering me an assignment to work for one of their clients abroad (Central America).

If I accepted this assignment, how CIC will consider my days outside Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
tender_heart said:
Hi,

I am a PR holder and currently work as full time employee for a large company in Canada.

My employer are offering me an assignment to work for one of their clients abroad (Central America).

If I accepted this assignment, how CIC will consider my days outside Canada?
If you are moving to a permanent role outside of Canada (i.e. your company is transferring you to a permanent job in one of their offices overseas), then your days outside of Canada will be counted as days IN Canada for PR residency obligation purposes. If you are moving to a temporary assignment (e.g. client project for a few months) outside of Canada, then your days outside of Canada will be counted as days OUTSIDE of Canada for PR residency obligation purposes.

Any days you spend outside of Canada will not be counted towards your citizenship residency requirement. You must be physically in Canada for days to count towards citizenship.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tender_heart said:
thank you Scylla.

any reference URL for this rule?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA

Scroll down to "time outside Canada", option 2