File Transfer...
01-02-2017
Med's Request
24-07-2017, further tests requested 13-08-2017
Med's Done....
08-08-2017
LANDED..........
22-12-2017
So my application (paper) is Jan 2021 submitted, and no update since April 2021.

My local MP's office very kindly looked into it, and called me back with an update (within 24 hours of submitting the consent form to the MP office - very happy to see the responsiveness).

Apparently my application has been classified as "non-routine" and the officer has put "Do not disclose" on the file.

I am surprised - there's nothing on my file that should make it non-routine but now its just stuck. They also told me that the file is actually still in Sydney and not Mississauga office.

This from CIC website:

What is a non-routine application?
We consider your application non-routine if:
  • you asked to change your personal information, such as:
    • name
    • sex or gender identifier
    • date of birth
  • you missed a:
    • test
    • interview
    • hearing
  • we need you to submit extra documents, like:
    • fingerprints
    • residence documents
  • we asked you to come to another interview or hearing after you attended your interview
We also consider your citizenship application non-routine if you:

Nothing applies to me. My background check is already complete - so no issues there. They haven't reached out for additional info/fingerprints etc. Any one have a similar experience?

There's nothing I can do now but wait - they have asked me to wait for 2 months, and if still no updates, then to call them back :(
I'm so sorry :( That is really unfortunate that they labelled yours as non-routine even though it doesn't seem to fit the non-routine description. Maybe they are planning to request FP, but haven't done it yet? At least you were able to get an answer from MPs so you are at least more aware of your situation, however frustrating and disappointing it is? Hopefully you'll see some movement on your file now that you've brought it to the forefront of the list, and cause them to "do" the extra work they say they need to do, such as FP request.

I've been thinking of contacting our MP... so maybe it's time to get some light shed on our file as well, incase we also received the non-routine label erroneously... Glad to hear they were so quick in looking into your file.

ts270890

Apr 8, 2016
So my application (paper) is Jan 2021 submitted, and no update since April 2021.

My local MP's office very kindly looked into it, and called me back with an update (within 24 hours of submitting the consent form to the MP office - very happy to see the responsiveness).

Apparently my application has been classified as "non-routine" and the officer has put "Do not disclose" on the file.

I am surprised - there's nothing on my file that should make it non-routine but now its just stuck. They also told me that the file is actually still in Sydney and not Mississauga office.

This from CIC website:

What is a non-routine application?
We consider your application non-routine if:
  • you asked to change your personal information, such as:
    • name
    • sex or gender identifier
    • date of birth
  • you missed a:
    • test
    • interview
    • hearing
  • we need you to submit extra documents, like:
    • fingerprints
    • residence documents
  • we asked you to come to another interview or hearing after you attended your interview
We also consider your citizenship application non-routine if you:

Nothing applies to me. My background check is already complete - so no issues there. They haven't reached out for additional info/fingerprints etc. Any one have a similar experience?

There's nothing I can do now but wait - they have asked me to wait for 2 months, and if still no updates, then to call them back :(
I think for backlog issues many applications particularly the paper ones are considered non-routine. Keep patience. Many applicants from 2019 and 2020 are waiting or just finishing up.

tatateagold

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
I'm so sorry :( That is really unfortunate that they labelled yours as non-routine even though it doesn't seem to fit the non-routine description. Maybe they are planning to request FP, but haven't done it yet? At least you were able to get an answer from MPs so you are at least more aware of your situation, however frustrating and disappointing it is? Hopefully you'll see some movement on your file now that you've brought it to the forefront of the list, and cause them to "do" the extra work they say they need to do, such as FP request.

I've been thinking of contacting our MP... so maybe it's time to get some light shed on our file as well, incase we also received the non-routine label erroneously... Glad to hear they were so quick in looking into your file.
So they DIDN'T request fingerprints or any additional info, at least not yet - so that's what is frustrating really! There's nothing to classify my application as non-routine, at least as per their definition.

I only hope that MP's office calling them might at least give my file a nudge.

tatateagold

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
I think for backlog issues many applications particularly the paper ones are considered non-routine. Keep patience. Many applicants from 2019 and 2020 are waiting or just finishing up.
I know I should be patient - it would be so much easier if the applications were treated in a fair FIFO manner. It is really unfortunate that late 2021 applications are now on oath.

But yeah - what can I do really but wait - i should go back to my original stand - i will not worry unless its Jan 2023 :)

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So they DIDN'T request fingerprints or any additional info, at least not yet - so that's what is frustrating really! There's nothing to classify my application as non-routine, at least as per their definition.

Agree, since BG is already completed. Usually they ask for FP before BG.

BTW, how did you contacted your MP? Through email or personally?

Nov 1, 2016
Thailand
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
10-01-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1 - 24-01-2017, AOR2 20-02-2017
File Transfer...
01-02-2017
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-08-2017
LANDED..........
22-12-2017

Yes, I really hope that the MP office bugging them will make them DO something now. I really hope this will nudge them into action!

Nov 1, 2016
Thailand
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
10-01-2017
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
01-02-2017
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-08-2017
LANDED..........
22-12-2017
Yes. I'm very happy to see that there has been more activity on the 2019 and 2020 files! It's about time, and hopefully they get those all processed quickly! The wait doesn't bother me, its more seeing applications filed many months after ours already have oath booked that frustrates. If it was first in first out, then a long wait would be fair. But yes, the online ones are "routine" and processed a lot quicker in many cases. I think the problem might also be that our application at least was with the "old" forms, and then the new forms came out the day after I mailed out the application! So, that could also be making our files "non-routine" or at least slower in general. But hopefully soon we'll see some movement :)

Reactions: LoneRider
Nov 1, 2016
Thailand
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
10-01-2017
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
01-02-2017
Med's Request
Med's Done....
08-08-2017
LANDED..........
22-12-2017
I know I should be patient - it would be so much easier if the applications were treated in a fair FIFO manner. It is really unfortunate that late 2021 applications are now on oath.

But yeah - what can I do really but wait - i should go back to my original stand - i will not worry unless its Jan 2023 :)
I feel you! I feel you! Trying to be patient here too... If only it was truly first in first out, the long wait wouldn't bother me. It would be fair and orderly. But seeing those mid and later 2021 applications already have oath o_O. Other than urgent applications, they should use some common sense and realize that they should focus on the oldest application first, not the newest one. With the oldest ones being 2019 and 2020, not us.

Reactions: softwaretesting

ssiddharthsuresh

Star Member
May 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2017
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2017
LANDED..........
23-03-2017

LemmeKnowIfYouKnow

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
My husband got an email today with an invitation for the oath ceremony on the 8th. Glad the journey is almost at its end!
Congrats..

What was his timeline like? Was it online or paper? What was Test invite, Test attempted, test update dates and everything else updated to DM? And which Office? Etc

Roby01

Feb 6, 2017
Got a ghost update after writing citizenship test today, but test still shows “in progress”

Application history

• Jan 18, 2022
    Scheduled for citizenship test
    Citizenship test

You've been scheduled to take citizenship test online between January 18, 2022 and February 8, 2022. Information and instructions will be sent to you.

• Jan 7, 2022
    Citizenship test activity status updated
    Citizenship test

Citizenship test status has been updated to In progress

• May 4, 2021
    Background verification activity status updated
    Background verification

Background verification status has been updated to Completed

• Mar 17, 2021
    Application filed

We have received your application and have begun to process your application. Information about next steps and required action items will be coming soon.
What study material did u study and any suggestions on how to prepare for the test?