+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

January 2019 - Citizenship Application

anita.saini

Jul 26, 2019
l6X2Z1
Visa Office......
Toronto
I dont think you are allowed to have two passports at the same time when one of your passports is from India. I believe that is against Inidian law as India does not allow dual citizenship.
I just checked and they have given 3 months grace period and you get charged no penalty for that . But I will surely consult bLS in person when I go to make get my urgent service Canadian passport .

GraceCan

Oct 16, 2014
I just checked and they have given 3 months grace period and you get charged no penalty for that . But I will surely consult bLS in person when I go to make get my urgent service Canadian passport .
Note there is a difference between getting citizenship and getting passport. Refer: https://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php

If one gets a Canadian passport then the grace period does not apply. Under this circumstance you need to apply for Indian eVisa.

However post the Oath, if you don't get a Canadian passport you can travel to India on the Indian passport but later cannot get into Canada since your PR card is taken. This is a catch 22 situation.

I think the options would be
1. to postpone the oath to avoid the situation or
2. get the Canadian Passport and apply for Indian visa.
3. If you have time get the Canadian Passport then surrender Indian one. Finally get an OCI. But for this you should provision about 1.5-2 mts.

ktown

Jan 17, 2020
Is anyone from Kitchener/Waterloo still waiting? My application was received on Jan 3rd and still waiting for a test invite.

anita.saini

Jul 26, 2019
l6X2Z1
Visa Office......
Toronto
Note there is a difference between getting citizenship and getting passport. Refer: https://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php

If one gets a Canadian passport then the grace period does not apply. Under this circumstance you need to apply for Indian eVisa.

However post the Oath, if you don't get a Canadian passport you can travel to India on the Indian passport but later cannot get into Canada since your PR card is taken. This is a catch 22 situation.

I think the options would be
1. to postpone the oath to avoid the situation or
2. get the Canadian Passport and apply for Indian visa.
3. If you have time get the Canadian Passport then surrender Indian one. Finally get an OCI. But for this you should provision about 1.5-2 mts.
That’s very good info . But I am not going to India . I am going down south for a week. So was just wondering.

ksleepwalker

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
Toronto
Category........
Hi. Received oath letter on Jan 17th, oath is on Jan 31st.

(Line 106 in the spreadsheet).

Question: Are we allowed to bring other family members to the ceremony?

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Ok. In that case you can fast track your Canadian passport request after your oath and travel on it. wish you the best.
Can apply 2 days after oath and get it overnight for $110 extra. On top of $160 for a 10 year one. Sometimes they even do it same day.

But then I got my oath date after 2 months from test which is much much more normal. I told them about my travel at test, but honestly doubt it made much difference if you look at average Test to Oath times and with Christmas in there...

Hi. Received oath letter on Jan 17th, oath is on Jan 31st.

(Line 106 in the spreadsheet).

Question: Are we allowed to bring other family members to the ceremony?
You can bring one guest. Additional ones will be allowed if space otherwise they’ll have to wait outside.

intstudent

Sep 28, 2015
Has anyone applied in January 2019 and gotten a test invite?
Received test invite for Jan 2019 application
App received: Jan 7, 2019
AOR: March 23, 2019
In Process ECAS: March 28, 2019
Test Invite date: January 16, 2020
Test Interview date: January 29, 2020

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Yes, same here. Kitchener seems to be the slowest office nation-wide :)
I think with a few exceptions I've seen almost every office accused of being the slowest nation-wide... Brampton is another popular one, Montreal I've see a thread where someone took 18 months and someone took 6.

As it's now been over 12 months I'd recommend calling or logging a web form asking about the delay and seeing it there's a specific reason given or if your file has just hidden under the dust. Good luck.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Please can admin update spreadsheet for me?

Oath invite: (Lists) Jan 14th, appeared on ECAS Jan 16th.
Oath: Feb 7th (hopefully!)

Thanks

2001fb

Star Member
Apr 9, 2019
What happens after decision made shows up in the website?

Should we receive something by post or by email and also, there will be a communication after that or there will be a communication only when they will send us an invitation with a date for the oath?

Thanks for the info

Last edited: