+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Issue with Ontario Driver's Licence - strike

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The main difference is that with a 12 month experience, you can only take the G1 road test and get a G2 license and with a 24 month experience you can take the G2 road test and get a G license.

You can see the restrictions on a G2 license at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/gradu/index.shtml but unless you are still in your teens, the most important one is that you have to maintain a zero alcohol level. You are not allowed to drive after 1 or 2 beers or glasses of wine as you could if you had a full G license.

You will also lose your license at a lower number of demerit points if it is a G2 instead of G. You can read about that at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/demerit.shtml

I don't know if Ontario is the same but in Alberta, you are also not able to get a truck, bus or taxi license unless you have first gotten an unrestricted regular license.

ap8329

May 8, 2005
The main difference is:

If experience is between 12 to 24 months, you get a G2 licence (some restrictions, but you can easily live with these).

If experience is > 24 months you get G licence (full licence, no restrictions).

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Amit

claxtonCT

Star Member
Oct 11, 2008
I was surprised to see the topic I opened 3 months ago being active recently. I'm happy to say everything went just fine. I landed in Canada two weeks ago and last monday I passed the driving test and got my Ontario DL!

Love Canada!

cono_sur

Star Member
Feb 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For the benefit of everyone who wants to get their Alberta, British Columbia or Ontario driver's license, you might find this site a good place to start. There are some useful links here.

http://www.passthewheel.com/

samrupl

Mar 2, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
do anyone got the sample format of letter telling that this person got more than 24 months of driving experience please

claxtonCT

Star Member
Oct 11, 2008
I dont think there is one. They want to see an 'abstract' of your driving record provided by your licensing office OR consulate. This report will list when you was first licensed, what changes you made to it, any tickets, and most importantly if it is currently active. Remember in Ontario it has to be translated by a certified professional, you can find the list of certified translators at the drive test website.

aybee

Nov 2, 2009
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-October-2009
IELTS Request
overall - 8 (7 above in each)
LANDED..........
5-July-2010
qorax said:
HOW TO OBTAIN ONTARIO DRIVING LICENSE WITH OUR HOME COUNTRY LICENSE:

FIRSTLY:
1. Before we land, we must obtain a 'Letter of Authentication' (in English) from the home country's Roads & Transport Authority, stating "more than 24 months" driving experience in our country.
2. Take also a 'True Translation Copy' (in English) of our D/License from Road & Transport Authority.
3. Both of the above, in most cases, would be clubbed in one letter.
4. Or obtain an International Driving License* (IDL / IDP).
*This is nothing but a translated copy of our present d/license. (it can be used in lieu of the item stated in point-2 above).

SECONDLY:
In such cases we are called 'Out of Country Drivers' and we can skip the G1 'waiting period' and get a G2 driving license [provided we have the above 24 Months letter]:

THIRDLY:
Based on the 24 months Authentication Letter the ministry will recognize the applicant's foreign driving experience as certified on the authentication letter AND,
Dear Qorax,

I want to ask that Is having the international Driving License enough or do i need to 24 month letter as well or both ??

Regards,

Aybee

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are staying in Canada for less than a year and do not wish to get a Canadian drivers license, you can choose to go for an international license to allow you to drive longer.

If you wish to get a Canadian drivers license, you will need the 24 month letter if you want to be able to get a full license. If you are unable to prove how long you have been driving, you can only get a learners license. That goes for Ontario.

If you are in Alberta, an international license can serve instead of a translation of a license and can get you skipped over a learners license straight to a probationary license.

aybee

Nov 2, 2009
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-October-2009
IELTS Request
LANDED..........
5-July-2010
Leon said:
If you are staying in Canada for less than a year and do not wish to get a Canadian drivers license, you can choose to go for an international license to allow you to drive longer.

If you wish to get a Canadian drivers license, you will need the 24 month letter if you want to be able to get a full license. If you are unable to prove how long you have been driving, you can only get a learners license. That goes for Ontario.

If you are in Alberta, an international license can serve instead of a translation of a license and can get you skipped over a learners license straight to a probationary license.
Thanks Leon !! One question is that on that on that certificate what do i need to get written. It will say that on my driving license i have more than 24 months of driving experience. Is that enough or do i need anything else as well. Should i take my Indian license as well along with me ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aybee said:
Thanks Leon !! One question is that on that on that certificate what do i need to get written. It will say that on my driving license i have more than 24 months of driving experience. Is that enough or do i need anything else as well. Should i take my Indian license as well along with me ?
What they say is this:

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx said:
To obtain recognition for more than 12 months driving experience, applicants are required to obtain written authentication of their foreign driving experience from the originating licensing agency, or from the Embassy, Consulate or High Commissioners' offices representing the jurisdiction. The authentication letter must be on official letterhead and be written in either English or French. It must be dated and cannot be more than 6 months old. If the Authentication Letter is in a language other than English or French, it must be accompanied by a Letter of Translation from a qualified translator
You will also need to hand in your license:

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx said:
All applicants for an Ontario driver's licence at the time of application are required to;
present a valid foreign driver's licence (if it is not in English or French, it is to be accompanied by a written translation from a qualified translator)
present written authentication of their foreign driving experience from the originating licensing agency, or from the Embassy, Consulate or High Commissioner’s office representing the jurisdiction, in order to get credit for their driving experience.
pass a vision test and a written knowledge test regarding Ontario's traffic rules
pay all applicable fees
Provide acceptable proof of identity.

aybee

Nov 2, 2009
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-October-2009
IELTS Request
LANDED..........
5-July-2010
Thanks Leon !! :D

anil.ar

Apr 23, 2010
Hi qorax,

My RTO [kerala] told like he can't issue Letter of Authentication as there is no provision to give such experience/Authorization letter. He issued the IDP only. Is this IDP is enough to skip G1 test in Ontario ?

Regards
Anil AR

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
anil.ar said:
Hi qorax,

My RTO [kerala] told like he can't issue Letter of Authentication as there is no provision to give such experience/Authorization letter. He issued the IDP only. Is this IDP is enough to skip G1 test in Ontario ?

Regards
Anil AR
I'm aware of a few guys who got the letter from Indian RTOs... so, how Kerala is different?

BTW, DriveTest Canada [mostly] looks for the Authentication Letter [driver's abstract]... they do not accept an IDP in lieu of it... however, I know of one case who got to take the G1 road test with his IDP... so, I guess, it depends on the Centre, the officer u approached & your luck!

Qorax

Ricoz

Jun 6, 2011
qorax said:
I'm aware of a few guys who got the letter from Indian RTOs... so, how Kerala is different?

BTW, DriveTest Canada [mostly] looks for the Authentication Letter [driver's abstract]... they do not accept an IDP in lieu of it... however, I know of one case who got to take the G1 road test with his IDP... so, I guess, it depends on the Centre, the officer u approached & your luck!

Qorax
Hi Qorax,

I just got my landing visa and I'm landing after 19 days in Ottawa for just one month, I live in Abu dhabi, I have more than 24 months driving experience, and I was wondering if you can help me with the letter of authentication issue as I know you lived in UAE.
1) Do you have a template (format) for this letter?
2) How can I ask for this letter from the AD transportation authority?

Thanks in advance :)

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Ricoz said:
Hi Qorax,

I just got my landing visa and I'm landing after 19 days in Ottawa for just one month, I live in Abu dhabi, I have more than 24 months driving experience, and I was wondering if you can help me with the letter of authentication issue as I know you lived in UAE.
1) Do you have a template (format) for this letter?
2) How can I ask for this letter from the AD transportation authority?

Thanks in advance :)
They have the template in their system. It's called, "Lesson Bayanat".
Approach them & they'd issue u [in a plain paper, under laserjet printing, B&W, with logo, signed & stamped, bilingual].

Qorax