+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Issue with Ontario Driver's Licence - strike

claxtonCT

Star Member
Oct 11, 2008
Hello everyone,

This is an issue I came across: I'm settling in Ontario in the next few months, but it looks like nobody will be issued with an Ontario driver's license since they are on strike (since august).

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/
http://www.drivetest.ca/
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090820/drivetest_ont_090820?hub=TorontoNewHome

If you know about this issue, what is really going on? How can a new immigrant settle in the province of Ontario without being able to get or exchange your driver's license and drive (specially now in the winter). I do have my license from my own country but it is only good for the first 2 or 3 months. It looks like the government fixed the issue for Ontario residents who need to renew their expiring licenses, but what has been done for newcomers needing to exchange their licenses?

Thank you for your help.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
you can always phone and inquire. they do some driving tests, but limited. only for those who require it for job or driving courses.
but if you already have a driving license there will be no problem for you to switch it to Canadian. the strike is related to driving tests. they do renew driving licenses and I am almost sure there will not be a problem to obtain a Canadian license having a foreign one. if you say that yours is valid for a few months, so it quite be possible that they can be out of strike by that time too.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your license is exchangable without a test, you can see if you can get it exchanged inspite of the strike. If you need a test, you can ask them what you should do. If it was me, I would just keep driving. If the cops stop you for driving on a foreign license after more than 2 months in Canada, you can tell them you are sorry but you tried to exchange your license and couldn't because of the strike. I am sure they will be understanding of that.

claxtonCT

Star Member
Oct 11, 2008
Thanks guys!

In Ontario, you can only exchange licenses (eye test required) if your license is from USA, Japan, Korea, Switzerland, Germany, France, Great Britain, Austria and Belgium, not my case.

I was thinking of having to settle in another province just because of this license issue... but I guess when I get there I can talk to a couple of cops to see what I can do, but this is really a set back for the province since driving is a basic living requirement if you live someone less urban.

I wonder what other solutions people are coming up with to overcome this issue...

THANKS

surf237

Feb 20, 2010
Hey,

I am in the same boat... I moved here during the strike, and had 2 months to switch my license (it's from New Zealand)... So am I able to drive now (seeing as I wasn't given two months two transfer my license and do the testing), or what am I supposed to do in order to be able to drive in Ontario? Any advice would be fantastic!

Also, if you are not on the list of countries, what testing do you need to do under normal circumstances?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

surf237 said:
Hey,

I am in the same boat... I moved here during the strike, and had 2 months to switch my license (it's from New Zealand)... So am I able to drive now (seeing as I wasn't given two months two transfer my license and do the testing), or what am I supposed to do in order to be able to drive in Ontario? Any advice would be fantastic!

Also, if you are not on the list of countries, what testing do you need to do under normal circumstances?

Thanks
See: http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
surf237 said:
PMM gave you the link to the Ontario information. They would require you to provide a letter proving your driving experience from the proper authorities in New Zealand and then they will allow you to take the written test and road test to get an Ontario license. If you fail to prove prior driving experience, you would be treated as a new driver and could only take the written test, get a learners permit and then would need to wait to take the road test.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
HOW TO OBTAIN ONTARIO DRIVING LICENSE WITH OUR HOME COUNTRY LICENSE:

Dear Surf237,

If our home country doesn't have a *reciprocal licence exchange agreement with Ontario, we cannot Swap our current D/License to get a Toronto D/License.
*Reciprocal License Exchange Agreement exists between Ontario and: US, Japan, Korea, Switzerland, Germany, France, UK, Austria & Belgium.

But, in that case do we have to START all over Again? No...
We can immediately apply & get a Toronto (Ontario) Driving License thru the following procedure:

FIRSTLY:
1. Before we land, we must obtain a 'Letter of Authentication' (in English) from the home country's Roads & Transport Authority, stating "more than 24 months" driving experience in our country.
2. Take also a 'True Translation Copy' (in English) of our D/License from Road & Transport Authority.
3. Both of the above, in most cases, would be clubbed in one letter.
4. Or obtain an International Driving License* (IDL / IDP).
*This is nothing but a translated copy of our present d/license. (it can be used in lieu of the item stated in point-2 above).

With the foregoing, we can drive a car abroad for three [3] months (2 months, in Ontario). Within that time apply for the Ontario Driving License. The procedure of which is given at: http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountry... the salient points of which I am listing below.

SECONDLY:
In such cases we are called 'Out of Country Drivers' and we can skip the G1 'waiting period' and get a G2 driving license [provided we have the above 24 Months letter]:

(a) Now for the Ontario driver's licence are required to;
-a1. present a valid foreign driver's licence (if it is not in English or French, it is to be accompanied by a written translation from a qualified translator); [we got that, as above]
-a.2: pass a vision test and a written knowledge test regarding Ontario's traffic rules;
-a.3: pay all applicable fees;
-a.4: Provide acceptable proof of identity.

(b) Applicants are required to provide adequate proof of foreign driving experience. (However, if it is not there, the ministry will accept applicants' declaration of their foreign driving experience on the driver's licence application for up to a maximum of 12 months experience. In that case we get the G1* license only.

THIRDLY:
Based on the 24 months Authentication Letter the ministry will recognize the applicant's foreign driving experience as certified on the authentication letter AND,

(a) We can attempt the G2**Exit Road Tests (mandatory wait times are waived).
(b) Upon successfully passing the G2 Exit Road Test, we get the G2 license.
(c) After few months of driving under G2 we can apply for a G***Licence.
(d) If applicants do not provide a letter of authentication, applicants must pass the G1 road test and must fulfill the 12-month waiting period prior to taking G2 road test.

Note:
*G1 licence has certain limitations like we have to always drive alongwith a G license holder. It is thus, useless for us, who have good & adequate driving experience under similar driving conditions & system as that of Canada [read 'left-hand drive' experience & similar road/traffic management conditions].
**G2 license is as good as G, except that we cannot drive on the Highway at certain times (Midnight Rush Hrs. when truck movement starts).
***G License is the 'full fledged' driving license.

Hope that helps.
Qorax.

Ps.: The procedure is pretty much similar with all other provinces.

nilsej

Star Member
Nov 20, 2009
HI Qorax,

My question is if I do not have more than 24 month 4 wheeler exp but have almost 1.5 years of exp than what should I do? I have no problem in getting letter from here but do I qualify for G2 directly or not? pls advise.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
No Nilsej, unfortunately then u have to do with G1 only.
With 1.5 years experience and a letter verifying that, would he not be able to take the G1 road test right away and get a G2 license?

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx said:
Applicants declaring more than 12 months driving experience but less than 24 months within the preceding three years:

The ministry will recognize the amount of driving experience declared on the driver's licence application.
Applicants declaring more than 12 months driving experience but less than 24 months within the preceding three years will receive 12 months driving experience and may proceed to take the G1 road test without having to fulfill the mandatory 12-month G1 wait period.
If the applicant passes the G1 road test, they will be issued a G2 licence and will not be subject to the six restrictions of the G1 licence, including the requirement to have a fully licensed driver accompany them in the vehicle and prohibition from driving on 400-series expressways.
To obtain recognition for more than 12 months driving experience, applicants are required to obtain written authentication of their foreign driving experience from the originating licensing agency, or from the Embassy, Consulate or High Commissioners' offices representing the jurisdiction. The authentication letter must be on official letterhead and be written in either English or French. The letter of authentication must be dated within six months preceding the date of application for an Ontario driver's licence. If the Authentication Letter is in a language other than English or French, it must be accompanied by a Letter of Translation from a qualified translator.
The ministry will recognize the applicant's foreign driving experience as certified on the authentication letter.
Recognized driving experience will be applied towards the G2 12-month waiting period prior to taking the G2 road test.
If applicants do not provide a letter of authentication, applicants must fulfill the 12-month mandatory waiting period prior to taking the G2 road test.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Oh sorry Leon / Nilsej... that's right. I stand corrected. My folly... Regrets.
Qorax.

nilsej

Star Member
Nov 20, 2009
Thanks for your inputs Leon/Qorax

Then what is the main difference between, If you have more than 24 month exp. or exp of 12 month to 24 month?