+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is PGDM from India considered as Masters level education for FSW

nihilist

Sep 24, 2014
Hi,
I have a PGDM degree in Marketing with Major in Computers from an accredited University (AICTE) in India. The course was for 2 years.
When I looked for points in the education factor in FSW program, it was mentioned that Masters degree would fetch 22 points along with Bachelors.
I do have a 3 years bachelors degree from a reputed university (Osmania) in Commerce.
Is PGDM considered a Master level education for FSW purpose? I think the answer should be yes, since it's a post graduate degree but wanted to check

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
PDGMs are generally not equivalent to MBAs. I think you should expect 21 points - not 22.

In Canada PDGMs are certainly not the equivalent of an MBA - they are a lower level of education.

nihilist

Sep 24, 2014
Thanks for the reply scylla. Are you speaking from experience or just guessing? I would like to get this confirmed from someone who actually did PGDM in India and got their education assessment done for PR.
Even IIM's in India give PGM degrees for their students and not MBA degree. They are the TOP tier MBA university in the country and are definitely not inferior in any way to regular MBA degrees.

nishesh3003

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oakville Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2014
Doc's Request.
Submitted with application
AOR Received.
16-01-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
13-01-2015
Med's Request
20-01-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2015
LANDED..........
31-07-2015
nihilist said:
Thanks for the reply scylla. Are you speaking from experience or just guessing? I would like to get this confirmed from someone who actually did PGDM in India and got their education assessment done for PR.
Even IIM's in India give PGM degrees for their students and not MBA degree. They are the TOP tier MBA university in the country and are definitely not inferior in any way to regular MBA degrees.
In all honesty - no body can tell you "for sure" even someone who has had their PGDBM evaluated by WES (unless his credentials are an EXACT match with yours).

My 'guess' is that you will either get 2 or more Post secondary degrees/diplomas which will fetch you 22 points or Masters degree which wiil fetch you 23 points.

Good Luck!

CanadaImmi2015

Star Member
Jan 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nihilist said:
Hi nihilist - Were you able to get your PGDM assessed by WES. Did they find it equivalent to Master's or Bachelor's degree? I'm planning to get my PGDM assessed as well, hence the question.

hotmidhun

Mar 23, 2015
Bengaluru
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi.

Could anyone with a similar experience add to this?

I am also looking forward for a PR to Canada, but my highest qualification is a PGDM in Marketing by a college approved by AICTE. What I notice with all Educational Assessment Agencies (including WES) is that college issued and attested mark sheets would not be accepted by them unless issued by an autonomous college. However, the list of autonomous colleges are the ones approved under UGC. To my knowledge, UGC only approves and controls colleges affiliated to Universities, and not those approved by AICTE.

Please let me know the way forward if any of you guys who have done PGDM from an AICTE approved college has got the WES or any other ECA assessment successfully.

Thanks.

GraceCan

Oct 16, 2014
hotmidhun said:
Hi.

Could anyone with a similar experience add to this?

I am also looking forward for a PR to Canada, but my highest qualification is a PGDM in Marketing by a college approved by AICTE. What I notice with all Educational Assessment Agencies (including WES) is that college issued and attested mark sheets would not be accepted by them unless issued by an autonomous college. However, the list of autonomous colleges are the ones approved under UGC. To my knowledge, UGC only approves and controls colleges affiliated to Universities, and not those approved by AICTE.

Please let me know the way forward if any of you guys who have done PGDM from an AICTE approved college has got the WES or any other ECA assessment successfully.

Thanks.
My XLRI - PGDM certification wasn't assessed by WES as Masters. I have heard same is the case with IIM degrees too unless the degree is a MBA from Universities.

hotmidhun

Mar 23, 2015
Bengaluru
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Would this mean that they we would need to re-submit for assessment? or is just that they would consider the PGDM as not recognized, and effecting the overall score a bit.

Are there any other issues with this other than on the score? If it's just a matter of score, this may not be much of a concern.

Thanks.

GraceCan

Oct 16, 2014
hotmidhun said:
Would this mean that they we would need to re-submit for assessment? or is just that they would consider the PGDM as not recognized, and effecting the overall score a bit.

Are there any other issues with this other than on the score? If it's just a matter of score, this may not be much of a concern.

Thanks.
As Nitesh rightly pointed you would get 22 pts w/o Masters instead of 23 pts with Masters.

vikram2805

Jun 14, 2015
GraceCan said:
My XLRI - PGDM certification wasn't assessed by WES as Masters. I have heard same is the case with IIM degrees too unless the degree is a MBA from Universities.
Hi GraceCan, I am also planning to begin work on my PR, I am from XLRI batch-11. Can you please share ypur email-id, I want some guidance. Thanks.

TheAkshayh

Nov 7, 2015
I have executive PGDBM from Symbiosis International University it was 2 years part time program where I had to attend classes on weekends.
While checking on WES degree equivalence tool on website what should I to select, should I select MBA as an option to check the equivalence through this tool.
Has anyone got Symbiosis's PGDBM evaluated earlier? What they have considered it equivalent to?
Is University important or college? My PG certificate is from Symbiosis International University and university is accredited by UGC and NAAC as A grade.

Jitashi

Apr 11, 2016
hotmidhun said:
Just to update on this topic: my pgdm was assessed by wes as masters equivalent.

Thanks
Midhun
Hi Midhun, can you please help me with steps you followed for your pgdm evaluation. Did you have to submit any documents in particular for it to be evaluated as masters?