+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is it getting hard for us International Students to stay in Canada?

GD4985

Mar 8, 2015
Hi there, before i had plan in my mind to get to CANADA by education track, which was going there as an international students, study there and apply for "Post Graduation Work Permit". It seemed to be a good idea.

But recently i found this article:
theglobeandmail.com/news/national/new-immigration-rules-risk-leaving-international-students-behind/article22886693/ (just add the www)

This is some of the sentence from that article

"On Jan. 1, new federal rules came into effect that no longer give international students with Canadian work experience an automatic leg-up when they apply to stay in Canada permanently.

Now, Canada may find it difficult to continue successfully recruiting international students. Almost 300,000 international students were enrolled in Canadian postsecondary institutions last year, drawn partly by one of the most open systems of residence after graduation.

Under the new rules, international students with a degree or diploma from a Canadian institution are placed with other groups of skilled workers in a “pool” from which Citizenship and Immigration draws invites for permanent residence. Before, international students did not have to compete with other skilled workers."

What do you think about this? Is this the end of us who want to go there using Education Track?

Thank you very much.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
well yes express entry has screwed us up.

GD4985

Mar 8, 2015
mead said:
well yes express entry has screwed us up.
Hi there, can you please elaborate your answer? what do you mean by express entry (is it referring to education track?) and whom do you mean by us (is it international students or skilled worker)? Sorry kind of confuse here...
:)

Savvyor

Star Member
Feb 16, 2014
It will only affect to those who are doing Bachelors or Diploma, Master program candidate wont be affected..
Post Graduates from Canadian universities there is a better way to get PR and that is apply for Provisional Nominee just after getting Masters degree and then get PR firmly... :)

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
GD4985 said:
Hi there, before i had plan in my mind to get to CANADA by education track, which was going there as an international students, study there and apply for "Post Graduation Work Permit". It seemed to be a good idea.

But recently i found this article:
theglobeandmail.com/news/national/new-immigration-rules-risk-leaving-international-students-behind/article22886693/ (just add the www)

This is some of the sentence from that article

"On Jan. 1, new federal rules came into effect that no longer give international students with Canadian work experience an automatic leg-up when they apply to stay in Canada permanently.

Now, Canada may find it difficult to continue successfully recruiting international students. Almost 300,000 international students were enrolled in Canadian postsecondary institutions last year, drawn partly by one of the most open systems of residence after graduation.

Under the new rules, international students with a degree or diploma from a Canadian institution are placed with other groups of skilled workers in a “pool” from which Citizenship and Immigration draws invites for permanent residence. Before, international students did not have to compete with other skilled workers."

What do you think about this? Is this the end of us who want to go there using Education Track?

Thank you very much.
The way I see it, if you are an international student with a prior degree( eg bachelors) and some work experience from your home country, you can apply under federal skill.

After a year of pgwp, you can apply under cec. It's suppose to the a faster system. So hopefully, before the three years of pgwp expires, you shud have been able to get pr.

That's my opinion tho'. All is not lost.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
GD4985 said:
Hi there, can you please elaborate your answer? what do you mean by express entry (is it referring to education track?) and whom do you mean by us (is it international students or skilled worker)? Sorry kind of confuse here...
:)
well express entry is the new system that they implemented since jan 2015 u should read about it. but in short if u were looking for PR under CEC(which most of us would be) then with express entry u have to wait for ur number to come up. also provinces r also modifying PNP so thats becoming risky too. so who knows what will happen with PNP by the time u graduate(1 to years)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/express/express-entry.asp

some one on this forum has started a petition asking CIC to consider PGWP holders/students
https://www.change.org/p/citizenship-and-immigration-canada-candidates-on-open-work-permits-and-working-in-canada-need-more-visibility-in-express-entry-system

also read about express entry on this forums express entry section and see whats currently going on with express entry. u can see what problems people are facing etc.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/express-entry-expression-of-interest-b54.0/

the way i see it canada wants experienced people not international students. express entry system favors experienced people over international students hence ur number may never come up for PR.

juancarlosco101

Star Member
Feb 10, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bro, dont lose hope,canada immigrational laws has been on try and error,if im right.
Who knows it will change for the better and thus benefiting international students.
A country cannot depend on labour market by looking to only PHD. MASTERS AND BACHELOR DEGREE HOLDERS alone.
Hold on fast to your dreams and works towards it bro, and it shall be ok. That its only my point of view

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
juancarlosco101 said:
Bro, dont lose hope,canada immigrational laws has been on try and error,if im right.
Who knows it will change for the better and thus benefiting international students.
A country cannot depend on labour market by looking to only PHD. MASTERS AND BACHELOR DEGREE HOLDERS alone.
Hold on fast to your dreams and works towards it bro, and it shall be ok. That its only my point of view
well when u spend $30k and they change rules on u thats when u lose hope. what i am saying is when u decide to study in canada be careful. dont put ur parents in loan etc. now it seems if u take up job in ur home country and after a few years u can apply directly under express entry no need to spend tons on money on education.

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
well express entry is the new system that they implemented since jan 2015 u should read about it. but in short if u were looking for PR under CEC(which most of us would be) then with express entry u have to wait for ur number to come up. also provinces r also modifying PNP so thats becoming risky too. so who knows what will happen with PNP by the time u graduate(1 to years)

some one on this forum has started a petition asking CIC to consider PGWP holders/students
https://www.change.org/p/citizenship-and-immigration-canada-candidates-on-open-work-permits-and-working-in-canada-need-more-visibility-in-express-entry-system

also read about express entry on this forums express entry section and see whats currently going on with express entry. u can see what problems people are facing etc.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/express-entry-expression-of-interest-b54.0/

the way i see it canada wants experienced people not international students. express entry system favors experienced people over international students hence ur number may never come up for PR.
You are right. Most international students are young with no experience at all. They just have around 2-3 years working experience. However, I found something from express entry. They prefer to accept people who is speaking in English or French as a first language. This means that they prefer... british/Australia/USA/Ireland/ some africa countires... + other countries. Even european who speak in german, italian, Sweden, and other languages.. they also will get some disadvantages. Even indian guys... I dont see the all indian students speak in English as a mother tongue... If their parents speak in English, they can put the English as a first language on papers.

I dont know.. It's just my opinion...

OrcaBayVan

Star Member
Feb 4, 2015
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to get Residency PGWP is probably not the way to go. It seems that CIC wants people on PGWP to go back home after it expires.

You should be studying in a Skills shortage area and Business Degrees do not qualify much anymore.

PNP in BC is currently closed for about 90 Days it is being revamped and Ontario is experiencing huge unemployment and a bad economy so is Alberta.

So you better research and pick your area of study carefully. I suggest the Tech, Medical and Bio Tech Sectors.

Get a Canadian Education by all means it is cost effective compared to US, Australia, the UK and EU.

Than try to get employed to get Canadian Experience giving you enough points to apply for PR.

shivam41

Star Member
Feb 4, 2015
Hi .. I applied in ontario for student visa in computer engg. But after reading your post about huge unemployment, makes me worried alot .. Can u tell me wht should i do now becoz next month i m going to lodge me file and all other formalities are completed..
OrcaBayVan said:
If you want to get Residency PGWP is probably not the way to go. It seems that CIC wants people on PGWP to go back home after it expires.

You should be studying in a Skills shortage area and Business Degrees do not qualify much anymore.

PNP in BC is currently closed for about 90 Days it is being revamped and Ontario is experiencing huge unemployment and a bad economy so is Alberta.

So you better research and pick your area of study carefully. I suggest the Tech, Medical and Bio Tech Sectors.

Get a Canadian Education by all means it is cost effective compared to US, Australia, the UK and EU.

Than try to get employed to get Canadian Experience giving you enough points to apply for PR.

sandeepsingh96

Feb 9, 2015
Delhi
Visa Office......
VFS Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-03-2015
Med's Done....
04-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2015
LANDED..........
26-04-2015
OrcaBayVan said:

What do you mean by business degree doesn't qualify? What else Commerce students should take? It ain't possible to take IT or any other courses you mentioned in post.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
sandeepsingh96 said:
What do you mean by business degree doesn't qualify? What else Commerce students should take? It ain't possible to take IT or any other courses you mentioned in post.
well I dont know about business degree not qualifying but u should read what express entry is calculate ur points and see where u stand

CRS calculator link is below calculate ur points roughly. right now CRS is not going below 450 for express entry
http://www.canadavisa.com/comprehensive-ranking-score-calculator.html

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
read if ur eligible in express entry
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/profile.asp

steakpie

Jul 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
would like a response to this as well, well all hopes down the gutter now, didnt know about the new rules ,I'm guessing its almost impossible now to get pr after studying there?