+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is a PR travel document required

Whacket

Nov 6, 2015
Hi All,

I have just received PPR and hope to have my PR finalized within the next couple of weeks. In June i have a flight booked to visit the UK for 10 days. I am wondering whether i need to apply for a travel document within the UK to be able to fly back as i am pretty sure i will not have my PR card by then

Detail:

Visa expires 10th June
Plan to flag pole to activate PR before 10th
Flight is 17th June
Return 27th June

Another option, i was nominated via PNP so could activate my recommendation letter but this will end up costing us $400 for the both of us, plus $200 which the company is required to pay for as part of a compliance fee.

Thanks in advance

manidhatt

Champion Member
May 30, 2013
Ontario
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 03
Doc's Request.
Feb 26 - Submitted March 03
AOR Received.
Feb 03
Med's Done....
Feb 12
Passport Req..
Aug 03
Do you have US visa ?
If yes then fly back to US and cross the border by road and enter with COPR. If not, then yes you will need travel document.

Reactions: Adanac11

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
You need to have PR card to enter Canada which as of today is taking 49 days AFTER landing.

You will have to apply for PR travel document with CIC in UK and will have to wait until they issue you that. Without it, you cannot enter Canada.

I don't know anything about your PNP recommendation letter. It has nothing to do with entering Canada to the best of my knowledge. CBSA needs a valid doc to enter Canada. Either its a visa, a pr card or a CIC issued travel document. A work or a study permit is not a travel document to enter Canada. I hope you know that.

So the way I see it, you cannot book June 27 return. What many people do is - they land in Canada, apply for PR and then go back. The PR card is received at some friend's address who sends it to them internationally (slight risk of loss). But you don't have time to wait for PR card in your plan outlined.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
manidhatt said:
Do you have US visa ?
If yes then fly back to US and cross the border by road and enter with COPR. If not, then yes you will need travel document.
This works - but has additional restrictions. You have to enter Canada in a private car, not a commercial one. Which often in this circumstance is not easy to do.

Secondly, unless you are from a country which comes and goes to US freely, the moment you enter customs for boarding for US and tell them the actual reason of going to US (so you could get to Canada without PR card), it probably won't be a good situation.

You can always try not telling them this, but it is not as easy as one might think.

Whacket

Nov 6, 2015
fkl said:
This works - but has additional restrictions. You have to enter Canada in a private car, not a commercial one. Which often in this circumstance is not easy to do.

Secondly, unless you are from a country which comes and goes to US freely, the moment you enter customs for boarding for US and tell them the actual reason of going to US (so you could get to Canada without PR card), it probably won't be a good situation.

You can always try not telling them this, but it is not as easy as one might think.
Thanks all, that is what i was expecting to hear.

I think the travel document is the only option for us at the moment as the flight to the UK cannot be changed sadly.

Whacket

Nov 6, 2015
fkl said:
You need to have PR card to enter Canada which as of today is taking 49 days AFTER landing.

You will have to apply for PR travel document with CIC in UK and will have to wait until they issue you that. Without it, you cannot enter Canada.

I don't know anything about your PNP recommendation letter. It has nothing to do with entering Canada to the best of my knowledge. CBSA needs a valid doc to enter Canada. Either its a visa, a pr card or a CIC issued travel document. A work or a study permit is not a travel document to enter Canada. I hope you know that.

So the way I see it, you cannot book June 27 return. What many people do is - they land in Canada, apply for PR and then go back. The PR card is received at some friend's address who sends it to them internationally (slight risk of loss). But you don't have time to wait for PR card in your plan outlined.
As a heads up, after PNP nomination the province provides you with a recommendation letter which you can take to the border to pickup a visa. Initially it is 6 months until/unless you have already applied for PR. Afterwards you can cross the border again (with a new letter) to pickup the a remaining 2 year visa. This of course costs 150 for each application, plus 100 for a Open work permit. Then the comapny has to pay 200$ as part of a compliance fee as you have applying for a visa outside LMIA

GARJ

Mar 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Or you could just skip the flag poling, leave for your trip and come back on June 27th with your COPR and do the landing then.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Whacket said:
As a heads up, after PNP nomination the province provides you with a recommendation letter which you can take to the border to pickup a visa. Initially it is 6 months until/unless you have already applied for PR. Afterwards you can cross the border again (with a new letter) to pickup the a remaining 2 year visa. This of course costs 150 for each application, plus 100 for a Open work permit. Then the comapny has to pay 200$ as part of a compliance fee as you have applying for a visa outside LMIA
Thanks, I didn't know about this letter. But I wanna ensure you are not confusing two different things.

The 200 compliance fee that employer pays is for a work permit (for a person who is LMIA exempt).

However, work permit is NOT A VISA. It allows you to work in Canada but it does not allow you to ENTER Canada except from US, since entry from US is exempted from VISA if you have a work/study permit.

So are you sure what this nomination letter allows you to get is a VISA (a sticker on passport and is only issued to people belonging to non visa exempt country) and not a work permit.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
GARJ said:
Or you could just skip the flag poling, leave for your trip and come back on June 27th with your COPR and do the landing then.
Didn't he say his visa expires june 10? I assume he is referring to immigrant visa - IM1 - issued for the purpose of PR landing.

Ah ... his description is all wrong... You are right GARJ.

He said he just received PPR - obviously he hasn't received immigrant visa yet.

So OP (Whacket) --- gosh... You can just delay your landing to your return from UK.

When you receive COPR, you will also receive a new visa called Immigrant visa stamped on your passport. It is a single entry one so CBSA would cross it once your landing is completed. But this is the visa every new comer to Canada uses to enter upon landing.