+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is a new SIN needed after regaining status??

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
Hello
My wife used to have a PR back in 2006 which she lost in 2017. She is here in Canada since 2017 and we got a decision made for inland spousal sponsorship. She is not working but has always filed taxes up till now.
Does she need to apply for new SIN or advise Service Canada that she got a status now, or simply she keeps using her old SIN?

Thanks
Hady

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello
My wife used to have a PR back in 2006 which she lost in 2017. She is here in Canada since 2017 and we got a decision made for inland spousal sponsorship. She is not working but has always filed taxes up till now.
Does she need to apply for new SIN or advise Service Canada that she got a status now, or simply she keeps using her old SIN?

Thanks
Hady
I would assume that a SIN is assigned for life, to combat identity theft, but you might consider calling Service Canada to get their thoughts.

Reactions: Hadysaade

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello

Thanks
Hady
The SIN she had before as a permanent resident should remain with her for life. It will not hurt to contact Service Canada to check/update on her PR status. In some cases, they put the SIN numbers in a sort of 'locked' status (I forget the name) to avoid someone else trying to access any benefits, but only after several years of non-activity. So just contact the govt to check.

[My spouse had PR status ages ago (before we'd even met) and then left and lost the status (renounced it in the interim as had not been in Canada at all), returning with me relatively recently after sponsorship. She still uses the same original SIN but we had to contact the government to show valid PR status to lose that frozen status. It wasn't a problem although it took a month or so by post]

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
The SIN she had before as a permanent resident should remain with her for life. It will not hurt to contact Service Canada to check/update on her PR status. In some cases, they put the SIN numbers in a sort of 'locked' status (I forget the name) to avoid someone else trying to access any benefits, but only after several years of non-activity. So just contact the govt to check.

[My spouse had PR status ages ago (before we'd even met) and then left and lost the status (renounced it in the interim as had not been in Canada at all), returning with me relatively recently after sponsorship. She still uses the same original SIN but we had to contact the government to show valid PR status to lose that frozen status. It wasn't a problem although it took a month or so by post]
Thank you for the information, Appreciated.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
SIN is for tax purposes. ONLY in extremely rare circumstances would a SIN ever need to be replaced . Identity theft being one .
As mentioned, check with the ESDC to see if the SIN has been made dormant OR it has been used while the individual was out of the country

Reactions: Hadysaade