+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IRCC 2022-2023 Plans ATIP

saou17

Oct 18, 2021
App. Filed.......
28-10-2021
AOR Received.
21-01-2022
2nd bullet point: for FY 2021-2022 (Apr 2021-Mar 2022), the goal was to process 5000 online applications for the year only. So aside from these 5000 online applications, priority was given to paper applications.

3rd bullet point: proposal for FY 2022-2023 (Apr 2022-Mar 2023): continue the FY 2021-2022 strategy of prioritizing paper applications (in the name of clearing paper backlog), aside from a targeted number of online applications. The number is not specified, so it might be 5000 or it might be more or possibly less. Edited to add: it appears from page 7 that the FY 2021-2022 target of online applications processed is 32,000.

Also, by "process" and "decision", they seem to be referring to processing applications until Decision Made stage (i.e., time from DM to oath is not part of their "processing" or "decision" time)

At this rate, I will forget my CAN Citizenship application, and move on with my life! I feel so disappointed reading this report, and seeing how we are treated, as fools :( had I known this, I would have just applied on paper. It would have taken an hour of hassle, but saved me all this wait. My gush!

saou17

Oct 18, 2021
App. Filed.......
28-10-2021
AOR Received.
21-01-2022
As I have said . . .

The proposition I disputed, because at best it was misleading, not just because it was self-centered me-first whining, was the claim that IRCC was prioritizing paper applications ahead of online applications. Malarkey weeks ago. Malarkey still.

I fully recognize there are nuances which make it difficult to compare outcomes, and that is indeed part of the problem, much of what is cited to support the unfounded claim that IRCC is prioritizing paper applications ahead of e-apps cites the number of cases in which individuals who made paper apps are getting to this or that next step sooner than forum reports about e-app applicants. When applications go into different processing streams, they are in queue in that stream, and yes there are often significant differences in how quickly applications proceed through this or that processing stream. It has been long known that some local offices, for example, seem to be notoriously slower than others. No prioritizing necessary, none intended, it being more about the vagaries of bureaucratic processing. But yes, of course, that is affected by things like the allocation of resources, especially human resources.

But in how resources are allocated, for example, claims that this or that local office is given priority over another, for the purpose of processing applications in one office faster than in another, are unfounded. Likewise claims that IRCC is intentionally implementing practices and allocating resources to prioritize the processing time of incoming paper applications ahead of online applications are, simply, unfounded.

Meanwhile . . . some can, and particularly in this forum there seems to be many who make a sport of it, second-guess IRCC application management policies and practices, who are certain they know better. Some whistling in the wind, others whining. Perhaps this is entertaining for some. Shrug.

No matter how deeply you dig into the nuances, overall it is easy to see IRCC has, as I have oft said, dropped-the-ball, badly, and while progress is being made, it is readily apparent IRCC is still struggling to adapt, still stumbling. So for now, and frankly for the near future plus awhile, no big mystery to solve, it is going to be slow-going for most, slow will be the rule, even if some in some way sail through faster than most. And oh yeah, there's no shortage of those who will begrudge those who benefit being among those who get to the oath remarkably fast. But for the vast majority, it is going to be slow-going, with some proceeding a little faster, some a little slower, and unfortunately probably a disconcerting number suffering a lot slower.

How slow it has been and continues is unfair. That's a different scene than those who are mischaracterizing what is happening in an effort to claim their applications should be put ahead of others.
Do you work for IRCC? You seem so sure of your answers!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
As I have said . . .
. . . it seems rather obvious that IRCC fell way short of doing everything it could, and fell well short of taking reasonable steps to adapt to the pandemic as it unfolded. It does indeed appear that IRCC dropped the ball, rather badly, and has continued to be painfully slow adapting and catching up. A two plus year processing timeline speaks for itself, illustrating a failure to competently adjust. After all, the grant of citizenship is NOT discretionary. IRCC has a legislated mandate to process citizenship applications and grant citizenship.
Do you work for IRCC? You seem so sure of your answers!
I do not and never have worked for IRCC or any Canadian government body in any capacity.

Hard to put how things "seem" to you in context here.

If you doubt what I posted above about the extent to which IRCC has dropped the ball in responding to the situation created by the Covid global pandemic, or you doubt that despite some progress IRCC is, as I said, still struggling to adapt, or you doubt my observation that:
"So for now, and frankly for the near future plus awhile, no big mystery to solve, it is going to be slow-going for most, slow will be the rule, even if some in some way sail through faster than most."​

If you doubt any of that, best I can offer is to look at the threads about processing timelines, and look at the spreadsheets, and look at IRCC's own numbers . . . they are currently posting a 26 month processing timeline for citizenship applications. Two plus years to process a citizenship application speaks rather loudly and clearly for itself. Not good.

Otherwise, if your doubts are about me in particular, frankly if you have read very much of what I post, it should be readily apparent I am not spouting baseless claims or unfounded opinions off-the-cuff, but rather making an effort to inform, illuminate, and clarify what we know about how certain things work (my participation tending to focus on how just a small number of things work), albeit sometimes when it seems necessary, to also correct. And it should be readily apparent that I do the homework, a lot of homework actually, doing what I can to sort things out and get things right, as best we can. (In the context of and contrary to much of what is posted in this thread, it warrants noting that it helps to read available sources with an eye to understand them rather than to cherry pick sound bytes to fuel this or that personal agenda or grievance.)

That is, I make mistakes and am wrong, too often in fact, but when I am posting here, yeah, I've done the homework, done my best to get it right, and when there is cause to be unsure or have doubts, I try to note that. I cannot recite gospel, but I can say my posts are honest and genuine efforts to expand the community's understanding, to help. Notwithstanding detractors to the contrary (and oh yeah, as always everywhere, there tends to be no shortage of those who contest for the sake of contest).

To see and read some of my contributions here, in the forum, for an illustration of what I try to contribute, see (for example):

Refugee status cessation and PRs applying for citizenship​
RQ versus Physical Presence Questionnaires, including CIT 0205​
Who-accompanied-whom can matter for PRs living with citizen spouse abroad: UPDATE​
Proof of Residency if Case Destined for a CJ Hearing​

Caveat: as I have noted, I make mistakes. And there are indeed mistakes I made in some of the posts in the topics I link here. I have said things like the CIT 0520 is not "RQ-lite" but is just a specific request for certain documents, but later even IRCC information was referring to this form as "RQ-lite." I am always open to clarifications and corrections. I probably made a significant number of mistakes in early posts about cessation of refugee status, but in my defense when I started that topic there was much confusion and misinformation, even call centre agents were giving PRs erroneous advice, and initially it seemed I alone was trying to bring attention to the serious risks involved for PR-refugees applying for citizenship (brought about by a change in the law adopted by the Harper government).

Reactions: iBarjar

nowayjust

Sep 24, 2022
Ok so 87k e-apps in inventory as of May 2022, estimated e-apps to be submitted nearly 180k from May 2022 to May 2023, and the target for May 2022 to May 2023 e-apps is 32,000. And they already missed the first month target. LMAO this is chalked.

Reactions: saou17

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
And now with the hurricane we can now completely forget about our applications. Perhaps they'll get to it sometime in 2024 when they finish teaching their staff how to operate computers.

Reactions: saou17 and sahibo

Sheru86

Star Member
Sep 22, 2022
Ok so 87k e-apps in inventory as of May 2022, estimated e-apps to be submitted nearly 180k from May 2022 to May 2023, and the target for May 2022 to May 2023 e-apps is 32,000. And they already missed the first month target. LMAO this is chalked.
Yea…I have no idea what they are thinking will happen. What are they going to do next year when the online inventory gets flooded? We are all in this situation in the first place because they did not allot sensible targets for online apps last year. Isn’t there nothing we can do? Can these questions be asked via an ATIP? Would contacting the MP’s office help? Or CBC tip line?

Reactions: saou17

rmtl

Aug 27, 2021
Another big factor is that 2020 applications are 2nd to last in priority, ahead only of 2019 applications. Many people here are 2021 online applicants who have forgotten that 2020 and 2019 applicants are even worse off. I guess IRCC measures its performance by the percentage of applications processed within a certain amount of time, like 12 months, so that once an application has exceeded 12 months, the hit to their metrics is the same whether it's 13 months or 50 months, so they just let the older applications languish while they process newer ones to boost their metrics.
I am 2020 applicant and it is been 24 months since I submited my application and the last update i got was Nov last year.

skoduru0708

Star Member
Nov 11, 2019
@dpenabill , are still planning to gaslight the people in this forum in this topic? It is clear that e-apps not a priority.
My interpretation from Page 6 bullet point 1 is that they wanted to increase e-apps to 11% of the total applications of 285,000 (total intake per year for citizenship applications) applications. So, all they are saying is to increase e-apps share of total applications intake. As of today that intake is increased by now allowing e-apps for group. So, it is not that they will prioritize paper based applications.

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
I just read the article. It just looks like when you say a lot but do not give any specifics so you cant be held accountable.
So did I. The article misstates a few things:

"The memo recommends that IRCC continue with its current system of first-in-first-out for all applications, meaning maintaining focus on older, paper applications while also making room to prioritize a small number of digital applications to prevent backlog growth."

Specifically, as we have discussed before in this thread, it is not accurate regarding FIFO processing of older paper applications. page 5 of the report explicitly says "modified first in, first out (FIFO) processing model)" that "would continue to largely process paper applications". Never does it say "older" paper applications. And modified is the keyword here regarding FIFO. That's why we still see 2020 and 2019 applications languishing while 2022 paper applications are processed in 3-6 months.

"IRCC says it has taken steps towards clearing the backlog, and processing 80% of all new applications within service standards."

This part does seem accurate and explains why IRCC is prioritizing newer applications, meaning not FIFO processing but "modified" FIFO

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
So did I. The article misstates a few things:

"The memo recommends that IRCC continue with its current system of first-in-first-out for all applications, meaning maintaining focus on older, paper applications while also making room to prioritize a small number of digital applications to prevent backlog growth."

Specifically, as we have discussed before in this thread, it is not accurate regarding FIFO processing of older paper applications. page 5 of the report explicitly says "modified first in, first out (FIFO) processing model)" that "would continue to largely process paper applications". Never does it say "older" paper applications. And modified is the keyword here regarding FIFO. That's why we still see 2020 and 2019 applications languishing while 2022 paper applications are processed in 3-6 months.

"IRCC says it has taken steps towards clearing the backlog, and processing 80% of all new applications within service standards."

This part does seem accurate and explains why IRCC is prioritizing newer applications, meaning not FIFO processing but "modified" FIFO
That's true. I will just keep checking the tracker weekly because there's nothing I can do. I applied online in May 2022 and everyone who applied at the same time as me on paper already has their certificate. IRCC was using Online applicants to test their systems. They did not think that their actions affect real people. Lots of people are still waiting from 2019 and 2020, you would think that instead of rushing the present paper applications in 3 to 4 months that they would maybe do paper applications in like 7 to 8 months while clearing the backlog. Nothing IRCC does makes sense