+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Invalidate application?

fuzzfuzz

Mar 13, 2013
Hi guys! New to the forums.

I have a question which I've searched and searched for many weeks but have been unsuccessful in finding an answer, nor have I been able to get a response from my local visa office in London.

My question is this: if my father has already applied for entrepreneur immigration which is currently in process, if I were to find a job in Canada before the process has completed and get a work permit, would that affect or invalidate our immigration application (or even just affect me as being part of that)?

Your help would be very much appreciated, or if you have any telephone numbers by which I can actually get through to someone at the London office of the Canadian Embassy who could answer my question, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!

sckel

Star Member
Mar 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Port of Spain Trinidad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20/09/2007
Doc's Request.
12/12/2011
AOR Received.
15/10/2007
Med's Request
12/11/13
Med's Done....
16/12/13
Passport Req..
26/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
27/3/14
LANDED..........
12/4/14
From what you have described I assume that your father had you listed as a dependant on his application.

I dont see why you cannot apply for a work permit with a Job Offer in hand. What I suspect will happen at that stage is that you will no longer be considered a dependant on your father's application so if his application is successful you will not be able to get permanent residence status through him and will then be left with a work permit which you will have to have renewed regularly. After some time working in Canada maybe you could then apply through "Canadian Experience Class". I think your father will also need to notifiy CIC that you are no longer a dependent on his application as it affects the total number of visas to be issued with his application.

This is just based on my own research and should not be considered professional advice. You may want to talk to an immigration consultant before you make any firm decisions.

fuzzfuzz

Mar 13, 2013
Hello, thank you so much for your reply.

Yes I am a dependant on his application. I was 21 at the time, does that mean my age is locked in as that? I'm 25 now and still in full-time education and don't earn enough money to support myself so I'm assuming I still count as a dependant? When our process completes (we believe it should be some time this year hopefully), am I correct in assuming that I need to still be in the same position in order to be accepted with him and the rest of my family?

sckel

Star Member
Mar 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Port of Spain Trinidad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20/09/2007
Doc's Request.
12/12/2011
AOR Received.
15/10/2007
Med's Request
12/11/13
Med's Done....
16/12/13
Passport Req..
26/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
27/3/14
LANDED..........
12/4/14
I do not think that your age is locked in at 21, I believe they will look at your age when they are finalizing the application.

There is another post by alina2 that you may want to look at as that person has a similar problem to you and others have offered advice there.

Again I suggest maybe trying to talk to an immigration consultant in your area for clear guidance on this. The last thing you want to do is make a decision that will negatively affect your case after waiting so long for your father's application to be processed.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Your age is locked in at 21. Aside from that, the rest is correct. If you get an AEO and come to Canada on a work permit, you will no longer be a dependant.

I would just make sure the job has a proper NOC code for CEC or PNP.

Your father would need to notify CIC once you got the work permit that you are no longer a dependant. He can just write them a letter or email. (I prefer email and BCC myself for proof.) Then at landing, he needs to make sure you're removed before he signs his Schedule A with the IO.

rock_khan

Jul 2, 2011
Kuwait
Visa Office......
London.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/8/09
Doc's Request.
5/5/10
IELTS Request
N/R
Med's Request
7/1/13
Med's Done....
20/1/13
Interview........
19/11/12
Passport Req..
26/07/13
VISA ISSUED...
01/09/13
LANDED..........
23/09/13
@amikety : Your very much right !

Lubs64

Star Member
Sep 12, 2010
Hi fuzzfuzz.
Just out of interest when did your father apply for Entrepreneur Visa? The reason I ask is that I have an application in process as well and I was just curious.
Getting a job in Canada is your best bet, but I have to warn you it is not going to be a walk in the park. Canadian employers want 'Canadian experience' in respective of your qualifications or work experience. I have family members who have gone over from the UK and found it very hard to find a job in their line of work.
It is actually 'Canadian Consulate' not Embassy and they will not answer any questions over the phone.

Lubs64

fuzzfuzz

Mar 13, 2013
Hi Lubs64

We applied in 2009, at that time it said 36-48 months processing time for applications from the London office. What I don't understand is that the "estimated processing times" on the CIC website now says 94 months for Entrepreneur Visa from London, but the London office's website says 42-48 months for the same thing. Which is it? And also, which applies? The time that is currently showing or the time that was given when we first applied?

I'm trying to get some sort of internship in Canada, that way as they're mostly unpaid I don't think I'd need a work permit? If that's the case then hopefully I can build up my experience whilst still being a dependant and when my Dad gets granted the visa I can start applying for paid work with Canadian experience?

Am I going about things the wrong way/with the incorrect understanding?

Lubs64

Star Member
Sep 12, 2010
fuzzfuzz,
I applied in 2009, London VO as well. As for processing times I would go for 94 Months, to be on the safe side. In 2011 London VO took over processing of Business Class Visa applications from Islamabad, Pakistan. Straight away processing times shot up. I suggest you apply for your CAIP notes, these will show you your Brought Forward date, i.e. when they intend to look at your file (in theory).
I actually contacted CIC London not long ago and they told me that they have a large inventory of applications, they are working on the oldest application first and just be patience. On top of that there is a rumour that CIC may cancel some Business Class Visa application to reduce the backlog of applications (not sure how true it is).
As for a internship, that is a good idea. I think you will need a visa look at the IEC visa for details. There are a limited amount of visa's available I think the program opened in February. Try this link:
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?view=d
Which part of Canada are you intending to head for? PM me if you need to ask any thing, If I can be of any help I will try.
Lubs64

fuzzfuzz

Mar 13, 2013
Thank you for the information, it really means a lot. I'm looking to go to Ontario as that's where my relatives and fiancée live.

Where can I apply for the CAIP notes?

I want to do whatever gets me there as soon as possible because I'll be getting married sometime next year and was hoping to be able to have a steady job there by that time. If that means getting a job offer after an unpaid internship and applying for a work permit then so be it, I just don't want to get a work permit and then a few months later my family gets immigration granted and then I have to wait so many years when I could've waited a few months more. We've been wanting to move since 1998 but due to personal circumstances (elderly family members who needed care) couldn't apply until 2009.

Lubs64

Star Member
Sep 12, 2010
fuzzfuzz,
You could ask a relative in Canada to obtain your notes for your or you go through a firm that does this type of work. Personally I would use a firm, less hassle.
http://caipsnotes.com/index.shtml
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-atip.asp
An employer first has to get a LMO (labour market option). Basically they have to prove to CIC that they cannot find a Canadian to do the job, hence they have to employ an immigrant. A lot of requests get rejected .
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp
http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/LMI_report_bynoc.do?&noc=7271&reportOption=outlook
Try these links that I have given and Google key words. You have to do a lot of research, as I said earlier " It is not a walk in the park".
Lubs64

fuzzfuzz

Mar 13, 2013
So I've been researching for the past couple of days and have realised what my options are. Firstly I think as you recommended the best thing to do is apply for the CAIPS notes to get an idea of what's happening. However does anybody have the IMM5563E form already downloaded? Every time I click on the link an empty document opens telling me to download Adobe Reader which I already have done. My uncle will be requesting them for us, we'll fill out the consent form and scan that and send it to him too.

Also, thank you Lubs64 for the links and advice. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. I feel so lost as I don't know much about all these things and you're really making things make sense with your advice.