Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I’ll try to answer the questions raised by different people in this single post.

I don’t know what will be in the letter requesting a medical that the medical officer should see. I’ll let you know when I get the letter.

The questions centred on the differences between us (age, culture, education) – to assess whether we had an authentic relationship. Most of the interview was with my wife, while I waited outside the interview room. The VO did ask my wife if she married me for the visa (his tone was respectful; he was just doing his job). She replied that she had no burning desire to go to Canada, that she is happy with her friends here in China, and that it is I who is more interested in Canada – all true.

When the VO invited me into the interview room, he mentioned the differences between my wife and me, and asked me to explain how we could have a real relationship. I replied that my first marriage (I was divorced) was perfect on paper, but didn’t work out. So, similarities and differences on paper don’t mean much. What counts is compatibility and chemical attraction. No one understands the latter two, or divorce rates would not be so high around the world. I then listed a few of my wife’s great qualities, and ended with the simple statement that a day with her goes very quickly.

If personal aura counts, or vibrations – or whatever you want to call the element of communication that is non-verbal – then yes, I think it was helpful that I was there with my wife at the interview, and that the VO could see us interacting in real life. Documents are a poor way to assess how two people interact.

Our answers were not challenged; the VO accepted what we said without argument. I suspect the interview was called just to be safe, to verify that we were good. I also suspect that every Chinese person from the south of China gets an interview. I was talking to a young couple – he a naturalized Canadian citizen, she a sweet thing from Guangzhou. No reason to doubt the validity of their relationship, yet they were called to an interview too. They also were in and out in about 10 minutes.

Was the translator necessary? I asked the VO that after the interview, and he said that where the case is a “good case” (like ours was), the translator was probably not necessary. But where the VO has serious concerns to explore, and the applicant does not answer clearly, the VO is left to wonder if the applicant is being evasive. Having a translator present allows the applicant to answer clearly, if he is legitimate.

I was glad to have the translator there just to be safe. Why risk everything on a mere linguistic misunderstanding?

So … a happy experience and a good outcome for us both. I still think someone needs to take a close look at the process, and make it much clearer and kinder for applicants. Imagine the confusion that would reign without this forum!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats! Not every Chinese people from Southern China gets interview.

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
thanks for ur long reply and feedback toby, so glad it worked out well for u

i'll flag this thread to remember it for future reference in case we need, it's positive and it will give us hope

good luck with the rest of the application...almost there!! :)

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
steaky said:
Congrats! Not every Chinese people from Southern China gets interview.
If you're right, Steaky, then I'm confused about why the young (seemingly perfect) couple I mentioned was called for an interview. It was the Canadian-Chinese husband who mentioned that everyone from the south of China is called for an interview.

I did not ask him his source for that statement, and now I wish I had.

I'd like to get at the facts of this issue, so may I ask you for your source? That is, how you know that not all Chinese from the south are called to an interview?

Thanks

boblu

Star Member
Oct 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
hong kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/09/2010
File Transfer...
08/10/2010
Med's Done....
14/09/2010
Congrats to both you and your wife

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, I am also Chinese-Canadian husband from southern China but not being called for an interview.

toby said:
If you're right, Steaky, then I'm confused about why the young (seemingly perfect) couple I mentioned was called for an interview. It was the Canadian-Chinese husband who mentioned that everyone from the south of China is called for an interview.

I did not ask him his source for that statement, and now I wish I had.

I'd like to get at the facts of this issue, so may I ask you for your source? That is, how you know that not all Chinese from the south are called to an interview?

Thanks

NT_PH

Mar 19, 2011
Davao
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
October 21,2011
toby said:
My wife and I passed the interview at the Canadian Consulate in Hong Kong today. The VO was friendly and respectful, intervieewedmy wife for 10 minutes, htyen asked me into the toom and asked me a few questions. Then he said we had passed, and if my wife could leave her passpoert with him, the visa-passport woudlo arrive in about 8 weeks.

Meanwhile we must wait for an official letter requesting a new medical before actually getting the medical. We must take the letter itself to the examiner.

Still, despite these last delays, we're on our way!!
congrats toby...

Dikz

Star Member
Oct 10, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
I don't know what will be in the letter requesting a medical that the medical officer should see. I'll let you know when I get the letter.
I was sent the same letter to take to my DMP to redo medicals when I already did knowing that my medical expired. So i opened it! It doesn't say much it is a computer generated print out (not sure if that makes any sense) It had my photo pasted, name, file number, tests to be done and just basic info you filled on the form taken to the DMP. By the way on the envelop it said confidential, to be opened by DMP.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Congratulations, Toby. I'm glad things worked out for you and your wife.

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
toby said:
the VO could see us interacting in real life. Documents are a poor way to assess how two people interact.
Just wondering if truer words have been written?

Congrats again...

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
steaky said:
Well, I am also Chinese-Canadian husband from southern China but not being called for an interview.
Hmm ... interesting. Steaky, may I ask where you are in the process? Have you or your spouse got the PR visa yet? Or is there still time for Canada to call an interview?

And I assume you are being processed through Hong Kong, right?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
Hmm ... interesting. Steaky, may I ask where you are in the process? Have you or your spouse got the PR visa yet? Or is there still time for Canada to call an interview?

And I assume you are being processed through Hong Kong, right?
My wife landed in 2007, left after getting the PR card and recently we came back to Canada. Yes, her application was processed through Hong Kong. We are in downtown Vancouver right now.

Couple days ago was Vancouver's 125th BIRTHDAY. A mixture of rain and hail in the morning. What a day!

Inlandappl

Jul 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
toby said:
My wife and I passed the interview at the Canadian Consulate in Hong Kong today. The VO was friendly and respectful, intervieewedmy wife for 10 minutes, htyen asked me into the toom and asked me a few questions. Then he said we had passed, and if my wife could leave her passpoert with him, the visa-passport woudlo arrive in about 8 weeks.

Meanwhile we must wait for an official letter requesting a new medical before actually getting the medical. We must take the letter itself to the examiner.

Still, despite these last delays, we're on our way!!

Congratulations!!!

I checked your timeline. did you wait 1 year for a 10 minute interview?? did i read that right???

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Inlandappl said:
Congratulations!!!

I checked your timeline. did you wait 1 year for a 10 minute interview?? did i read that right???
Yes, something like that. From memory: submitted application in November 2009, Hong Kong acknowledged receipt of my wife's application in December 2010, and then ... a short interview just to confirm things in April 2011.

I had to laugh at the poster who submitted her application in December 2010, and landed a few days ago. She had the nerve to say "about time".