+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Internship work experience in FSW

bitbytes0110

Nov 21, 2016
Hello all,

I have got my IELTS and my WES assessments done.
Currently filling my Express entry profile and I have this query from my work experience :
I have done an M.Sc (5 year integrated) course which has 2 semesters of internships that has to be done in a company.

While Graduating :
6 months fulltime unpaid internship (part of my academic curriculum - 7th semester)
6 months fulltime paid internship (part of my academic curriculum - 10th semester)

After Graduation :
10 months gap after graduating -
3 months fulltime paid employee at Zenova infotech
3 months fulltime paid employee at Jean Martin
6 months fulltime paid internship at Ubisoft
20 months fulltime paid permanent employee in Ubisoft (job offer after internship)

A) Can you please tell me what are the above experiences be counted in ?
Is Paid fulltime internship experience while graduation or after graduation considered ?

B) I have a break (10 months)after graduating and my first job, but continuous job experiences after that.
Is break between work experiences accepted (assuming internship counts) ?

I am worried as the number of years of experience changing from 2 to 3 would be a game changer for me!

Really appreciate if someone can throw some light on this.
Thanks !

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Any internship experience after graduation which is paid counts.

Any internship experience during studies counts IF done outside of Canada and was paid.

Also assuming its NOC code is 0/A/B

Reactions: noc2132 and fv-br

bitbytes0110

Nov 21, 2016
DelPiero07 said:
Any internship experience after graduation which is paid counts.

Any internship experience during studies counts IF done outside of Canada and was paid.

Also assuming its NOC code is 0/A/B
Yes it was paid and outside Canada with NOC A.
But what if there was a gap of 1 year between the internship and my first job. ?
I qualify in EE as I have more than 1 years of continuous experience in my current job.
My question is whether internships and work experiences from my previous jobs count before my 1st continuous year?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As long as you have a year of continuous work experience you can add up the other skilled work experience to count the total number of years of work experience that you ahve.

Having gaps is completely irrelevant.

applicant_2016

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
As long as you have a year of continuous work experience you can add up the other skilled work experience to count the total number of years of work experience that you ahve.

Having gaps is completely irrelevant.
Hello,
I am in a similar situation. While pursuing my MS in US from 2013-2015, I worked as a fulltime intern from 2014-2015 while being enrolled as a fulltime student in the university. I graduated in 2015. That 1 year of experience was in NOC 2171/A so can it be counted towards my EE profile ?
Please advise.

AmirHNK

Nov 6, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Passport Req..
16-05-2017
This is a quote from someone with Canadian internship:

It will count towards FSW but not CEC. I have had multiple confirmations. You are working on a work permit when you work for a long-term paid internship.
I contacted CIC and at a talk at my university, an official from the ministry confirmed that paid internships count towards FSW for Express Entry. It clearly mentions that paid TA work counts so why wouldn't a full-time paid internship count?
Read the whole tread if your internship was in Canada.

May 23, 2018
Hi @bitbytes0110
If you did apply, would appreciate if you could share your experience with us please! Were you able to make your internship experiences during studies count and achieve a 3 year working experience or they only accepted work experiences after graduation?

Secondly, in the FSW application it is asked to state only experiences that are not apprenticeships. Is that a concern (i.e., can we still specify internship experiences)?

Cheers :)

Reactions: pk21

bitbytes0110

Nov 21, 2016
Hi @bitbytes0110
If you did apply, would appreciate if you could share your experience with us please! Were you able to make your internship experiences during studies count and achieve a 3 year working experience or they only accepted work experiences after graduation?

Secondly, in the FSW application it is asked to state only experiences that are not apprenticeships. Is that a concern (i.e., can we still specify internship experiences)?

I was not very clear about the internship experiences. So I skipped them and included only the work experiences that I had after graduating. Since I had a masters degree, I was lucky that my score was still high and managed to get an invite. Sorry I was not able to help you much there.

Good luck.

pk21

Dec 15, 2019
Hi @bitbytes0110

hi @hasnainmamdani , with any luck were you able to confirm if CPT experience counts towards work ex for Express entry for FSW?