+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Instruction - Apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)

Hdnarola20

Jun 21, 2019
Hi,

My closed work permit is about to expire and my job contract as well. I already applied for PR and I want to stay for the decision, so I will apply for Bridging Open Work Permit

The problem is that I don't have a new job offer, so for the form "imm5710e" I will choose "*An initial work permit….new employer". How should I fill the Prospective Employer information?

Thank you
Hi There...
Actually i have same issues like you have...
My job contract is finished and i dont have any job right now......and work permit about to expire on 28 August 2019..
So which following option i suppose to tick mark when i fill up the 5710 Form..
1) Apply for a work permit with the same employer..
2) apply for a work permit for a first time or a new employer..
3) Get a new temporary resident permit(for inadmissible applicant's only)..
4) Restore my status as a work...

Hdnarola20

Jun 21, 2019
Hi Mandy...
I am applyig for Bridge work permit..
I have my pr file in process...
i am filling the 5710 so do i need to check mark the box that has "Apply for a work permit with same employee"????
Unfortunately right now i don't have a same employer...
Suggestions plzzz.
Thaks
Hi There...
Actually my issue is that
My job contract is finished i dont have any job right now.....and work permit about to expire on 28 August 2019..
Thanks

sallam_ah

Star Member
Apr 2, 2019
Hi There...
Actually i have same issues like you have...
My job contract is finished and i dont have any job right now......and work permit about to expire on 28 August 2019..

First of all, to apply for Bridging Open Work Permit:
1- You should have already applied for PR and received the "acknowledgement of receipt" letter,
2- Attach this letter to the optional document of your BOWP application combined with an explanation letter of your situation. Also attach your current Work Permit

--
For the section "DETAILS OF INTENDED WORK IN CANADA" in the form 5710

1.a) What type of work permit are you applying for?
Answer: Open Work Permit

Then leave question [1.b - 7] empty, and then answer question 8 based on your case.

--
a template for the letter of explanation looks like:

Dear Officer,

My name is [your name] and I applied for permanent residence under [your PR stream] in [yyyy, mmm dd] with the following information:

Application number: E00xxxx
Date of birth: yyyy, mmm dd

I would like to apply for Bridging Open Work Permit because my current Work Permit ends by [yyyy, mmm dd]. Please find attached the acknowledgement of receipt letter of the permanent residence application.

Thank you for your time.
Yours sincerely,
[your name]

--

good luck

mimi1980

Mar 5, 2018
Hi.. My temp visa has expired and my open work permit expires soon. My PR is in process and the estimated completion date is Dec. 8th.
Do I need to first renew my temp visa before applying for the bridging open work permit? Is it better to apply online or by paper to buy more time?

Hdnarola20

Jun 21, 2019
Hi.. My temp visa has expired and my open work permit expires soon. My PR is in process and the estimated completion date is Dec. 8th.
Do I need to first renew my temp visa before applying for the bridging open work permit? Is it better to apply online or by paper to buy more time?
Its better to apply bridge workpermit to maintain your status in canada..
Also it will help you to your status to your Employer...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

sans351

Dec 15, 2017
Hi,

I have applied for PR and have got the AOR. My work permit will expire on Nov 17 2019 and Im applying for BOWP. Please help me on below questions:

1) I have a post graduate work permit and currently working on contract basis. I have updated the same information on my PR application as well. So, which option should I select below

A) Apply for work permit with same employer
B) Apply for work permit for first time or with a new employer

2) I am a primary applicant for PR and my husband is staying with me and since I sponsored him, even he has Open work permit. He is currently not working, which option does he has to select

A) Apply for work permit with same employer
B) Apply for work permit for first time or with a new employer

Hdnarola20

Jun 21, 2019
Hi Mimi..
my bridge work permit has been approved for one year and i am not sure whats the next step i suppose to take...how can i update my current wp expire date withe the new date?
also can you tell me the process of multiple visa..
thanks

arshad94

Dec 3, 2019
Hello,

I've read this somewhere about applying for the BOWP, while applying for PR/receiving an invite through the Provincial Nominee Program:

"The employment location on the work permit must be restricted to the nominating province".

However, this is not the case with me. I reside and work in one province, but have been invited to apply through another province. What do I do?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Stefanija89.

Star Member
Apr 4, 2020
Hi everyone,
Hope all of you until now are already got their PR or about to get them. I am here in a trcky situation and I would appreciate any information.
So about the situation, I have received ITA days 9 ago, still collecting documents for submission (as you may now it is almost impossible to obtain police certificate form back home due to Covid19). Let say I manage to get that in next 7 days. I will be able to submit my application for EE/CEC. Tricky part is my PGWP expires May 14th. I would like to apply for BOWP but requirements are as you know:
  • live in Canada (Quebec not included) yes
  • have a valid work permit that expires in 4 months or less - almost there
  • be the principal applicant on your permanent residence application -yes
  • have submitted a complete application for permanent residence and passed the completeness check - what this means and how long it takes them do complete this part, specifically completeness check
  • have your acknowledgement of receipt letter
    • we send this letter to your account after we get your permanent residence application - also after hitting magical submit button how long it takes them to provide me with AOR?
Maybe I am trying impossible but let me try. Any help would be appreciated.