Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2010
Doc's Request.
04-03-2011
LANDED..........
12-05-2011
CanAmerica said:
For those of you that have been waiting for PR for 3 years or longer if your time in canada can tabulate up to 3 years, you can just apply for citizenship, may be an easier route for some if you wanted to become a citizen. Just take the test, Canada is one country that doesnt make you renounce your former citizenship either, however for those of you that are Amarican citizens I will tell you this you can reatin your US citizenship when you get canadian citizenship but dont ever say the word dual at the border. I researched this extensively, canada recognizes dual but US does not, so when crossing the border into the US you are Amaerican, with American passport(just make sure to renew) and in Canada you are Canadian with Canadian passport.
Just a silly random question on that...if you are American ("dual" Canadian) and crossing to U.S. could you just hand them your Canadian passport and tell them you're Canadian? Then you don't have to carry two passports or renew your American one?

CanAmerica

Sep 2, 2010
You can, yes. Not that its of any consequence, but my husband has a sister that was American and lost her PR card and had to reapply, they took forever, and so she applied for citizenship, when she crosses the border into the US shes told or reminded of her American citizenship, and the US side has actually told her once American always American...lol. I dont think theres a right or wrong way...just as long as you do not claim dual, it seems using one passport would be much simpler.

joce288

Star Member
Nov 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well...I can't even express my frustration with the Vegreville office right now. I spoke to CIC this past thursday to see if they had received my requested information, and they inform me that my OWP application has been sent back to me because they thought I was "out of status". Yet I am no such thing since I sent in an application to extend my visitor's visa June 15..but they haven't opened June 15th yet and considered me out of status. So because of their slow processing, I now have to re-apply for my OWP and now won't be getting it until October!!!

konstantinos

Feb 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2010
LANDED..........
12 MAY 2011
just a question, my extension of visitor expires at the end of the month, but since I have applied for the OWP, I have been told that there is no need to apply for a new extension. Is this true according to your knowledge and experience?

joce288

Star Member
Nov 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
konstantinos said:
just a question, my extension of visitor expires at the end of the month, but since I have applied for the OWP, I have been told that there is no need to apply for a new extension. Is this true according to your knowledge and experience?
To my knowledge as long as CIC receives your app for an OWP before the expiry date of your visitors visa then you are absolutely fine. In my case, my visitors visa expired July 31st, and even though I applied to renew it back on June 15th, they haven't opened it yet so they considered me "out of status" when they opened my OWP app.

MandiF

Sep 7, 2010
Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2011
LANDED..........
25-02-2011
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and trying to work out how it all works, but have question, hopefully someone can help me with.

My husband is Canadian and is working in Canada right now, and I'm British currently in UK after my visitors visa expired.

I've come home and gotten all the paperwork and stuff sorted for the spousal visa application and have had my medical in UK, but my question is, if I originally apply outland can I swap over to inland if I get fed up of being without him? As long as I don't work in Canada before I get my visa?

Any thoughts, comments appreciated.

Thanks

konstantinos

Feb 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2010
LANDED..........
12 MAY 2011
joce288 said:
To my knowledge as long as CIC receives your app for an OWP before the expiry date of your visitors visa then you are absolutely fine. In my case, my visitors visa expired July 31st, and even though I applied to renew it back on June 15th, they haven't opened it yet so they considered me "out of status" when they opened my OWP app.
If I understood correctly, what happened in your case is because you didn't send your OWP app with your PR app, when you applied back in November. If you had done so, there shouldn't be a problem, is that so?
In spite this delay, it seems the hard part is over for you and soon you will be able to work!! Congratulations! If you have it by October as you said, your waiting has been almost a year, 11 months... the more the time pass the more I realise that the 6 months of waiting that I was told by the agent in the begginning,will be at least 1 year for me... especially with the time that has increased to 8-9 months , plus the process with immigation quebec for me.
Enjoy the rest, it's not much :), and as for me, I go to study some french!I have plenty of time to try to learn!!!

joce288

Star Member
Nov 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
konstantinos said:
If I understood correctly, what happened in your case is because you didn't send your OWP app with your PR app, when you applied back in November. If you had done so, there shouldn't be a problem, is that so?
In spite this delay, it seems the hard part is over for you and soon you will be able to work!! Congratulations! If you have it by October as you said, your waiting has been almost a year, 11 months... the more the time pass the more I realise that the 6 months of waiting that I was told by the agent in the begginning,will be at least 1 year for me... especially with the time that has increased to 8-9 months , plus the process with immigation quebec for me.
Enjoy the rest, it's not much :), and as for me, I go to study some french!I have plenty of time to try to learn!!!
Correct, I didn't apply with my PR app because I actually didn't know it was an option.. I wish I had though that's for sure. I'm really just frustrated because as I'm sure everyone else feels..financially it is very hard..and in my case, with a new baby, even more difficult. I just want to be able to work..and if Vegreville's times weren't so slow with visitors visas, mine would have already been opened and my OWP would have then been approved :( But yes, just another month for me and I'll be able to work..mind you as long as the time line for that stays at 20 days.

BlueDragon17846

Star Member
Oct 29, 2009
St. Catharines
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2010
Doc's Request.
04-03-2011
LANDED..........
12-05-2011
joce288 said:
Correct, I didn't apply with my PR app because I actually didn't know it was an option.. I wish I had though that's for sure. I'm really just frustrated because as I'm sure everyone else feels..financially it is very hard..and in my case, with a new baby, even more difficult. I just want to be able to work..and if Vegreville's times weren't so slow with visitors visas, mine would have already been opened and my OWP would have then been approved :( But yes, just another month for me and I'll be able to work..mind you as long as the time line for that stays at 20 days.
That is frustrating. Also I think it is completely unfair that we have to redo the medical exam, with our own money, if it expires. I mean, if they are taking like a year to process these things anyway, why do they expect us to take it before we apply? Why don't they tell us to take it after processing, because otherwise, things expire on their time and we are expected to pay for a new exam. It just doesn't make any sense.

Black-Berry

Jul 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville And Nanaimo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/01/10
Doc's Request.
27/07/10
File Transfer...
20/10/10
Interview........
November 29th, 2010
LANDED..........
March 29th, 2011
BlueDragon17846 said:
That is frustrating. Also I think it is completely unfair that we have to redo the medical exam, with our own money, if it expires. I mean, if they are taking like a year to process these things anyway, why do they expect us to take it before we apply? Why don't they tell us to take it after processing, because otherwise, things expire on their time and we are expected to pay for a new exam. It just doesn't make any sense.
I agree!. it would make sense to ask us to send in our medicals AFTER they have started processing, because these medicals take money and as you said its their fault that these medicals expire!. JMHO!..

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
BlueDragon17846 said:
maybe they doing business for the country too by telling ppl to do their medicals several times, so Canada collects some money from that.. sincerely they dont really care bout applicatnts' frustrations and so.

Black-Berry

Jul 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville And Nanaimo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/01/10
Doc's Request.
27/07/10
File Transfer...
20/10/10
Interview........
November 29th, 2010
LANDED..........
March 29th, 2011
Has everyone in November heard from these people??. yawwwwnn. I figure in the next two weeks these crazy wait times will move??..

joce288

Star Member
Nov 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BlueDragon17846 said:
I agree...In my case I couldn't do my medicals until April since I was pregnant when I applied in Nov...so I also waited to send in my fingerprints to the FBI because they expire after 6 months. Their process is just completely unfair. I was also wondering.. when you're granted residency and need to pay the 490$..how long do you have to pay that??

mint

Jun 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Black-Berry said:
Has everyone in November heard from these people??. yawwwwnn. I figure in the next two weeks these crazy wait times will move??..
Hi, I am a December applicant(my application arrived on Dec 8 2009)
My husband received his sponsor approval letter 2 weeks ago, and I received a letter for an interview last week.
I applied in land family class with no status, so I am guessing this interview is going to be one of those, being asked lots of questions... but I am very happy to have my interview finally!

I think they are sending letters to late November and early December applicants now.
I am not sure if you are a November applicant, but hope you hear from them soon too!

Mint