+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

**INLAND SPOUSE SPONSORSHIP JANUARY 2019**

shbgjs123

Mar 7, 2019
Did you also get an email or were you only able to link it? Mine was also received on Jan 16, I tried linking it and nothing :(
No, I didn't get an email. I tried it last few days and finally it linked today. As others suggested, I used PA's UCI and family name.

ExpatDad

Jun 17, 2018
We got the OWP acceptance by email today and, as I understand it, we will get a post of the physical document in a few days.

A couple of questions:
  1. The OWP is valid only until this coming December, because that's when my wife's passport expires. What do we do, once the new passport arrives, hopefully in the fall? Do we have to submit another full application for the OWP, or can we just let them know about the new passport and have them extend the OWP?
  2. Along with the OWP, they issued her a eTA, and the acceptance letter says:
    A study or work permit is not a travel document. To allow you to travel to or re-enter Canada by air only, we have issued you an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) when we issued your permit extension. Your eTA is linked to the passport that you used to apply for your permit renewal. You must travel with this same passport. If you get a new passport, you will need to get a new eTA.
    We were under the impression that we could NOT travel while the PR application was in process, but this makes it sound as though she is allowed to travel...but by air only.
Can anyone provide some clarity on these two points? Thanks for your help.

cmvalle

Star Member
Feb 24, 2018
I was finally able to link my OWP application today!

Application Sent: January 14
Application Received: January 16
PR Application Linked on GCKey: March 6
Status on ECAS and AOR: March 7
OWP Application Linked: March 12

IamJems

Star Member
Jul 27, 2016
We got the OWP acceptance by email today and, as I understand it, we will get a post of the physical document in a few days.

A couple of questions:
  1. The OWP is valid only until this coming December, because that's when my wife's passport expires. What do we do, once the new passport arrives, hopefully in the fall? Do we have to submit another full application for the OWP, or can we just let them know about the new passport and have them extend the OWP?
    We were under the impression that we could NOT travel while the PR application was in process, but this makes it sound as though she is allowed to travel...but by air only.
All work permits issued by CIC are given an ETA, or a TRV for visa required countries, regardless of the stream. This is standard.

CAN-AL2018

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018

A couple of questions:
1. I believe you would have to apply for an extension of your work permit (so, another full application).
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1410&top=17

2. You can travel by any means (you only need the eTA if flying). Since you are still a temporary resident at this point, you are not guaranteed re-entry in Canada. So, there is a risk you won't be able to re-enter, but it's very low if you have the proper documents, meet the requirements, and were gone for a short period of time. Remember that you have to be in Canada for the inland application to be valid - if you are denied entry, the application will be refused. From what I've seen on the forum, a short trip (week-end, 1-2 weeks) as a vacation here and there seems to be acceptable, but being gone for longer periods won't look good. It really comes down to a personal choice.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/extend.html#worker_travel

shbgjs123

Mar 7, 2019
!!! I got my AOR today! Whew, beginning of a long journey already exhausted lol...

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement!
Applied: Jan 24/19
Received AOR: March 13/19

Now I gotta figure out how to link everything in the next couple days
Congrats!
It seems that most applicants from the end of January are receiving AOR in less than 50 days.