+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inland spousal sponsorship, exiting and re-entering Canada during the process

Ste_Vege

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Hi,

I have applied for inland spousal sponsorship 2 months ago after entering as a visitor (I am from an eTA country).

I now need to leave Canada briefly for 1 week. Has anyone had to do this during their inland application? Any suggestions about what to say and what to show to the border officer to minimise the risk of them refusing me re-entry as visitor on eTA?

Does the fact that when I entered as visitor a few months ago I didn't mention my plans to apply for sponsorship as well as declared my plan was to stay 20 days only increase the chances that the border officer will refuse re-entry?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There's a reason why Inland applicants are cautioned not to leave Canada during the process, but that doesn't mean that others have not successfully left and returned for a short trip. Some have for sure.

No idea how you will be assessed by CBSA upon your return, but having submitted a spousal sponsorship application may or may not help.
For the latter, if the officer has concerns that you might not leave Canada if your PR application is denied, the officer could deny re-entry.

The fact that you verbally mentioned that you would only be staying in Canada for 20 days, may only be an issue if you had been given a stamp in your passport with a date to leave by (doesn't sound like you have that). You likely have 6 months from the date of entry so it's probably a non-issue.

IMHO, you will only know what will happen when you are inspected by CBSA upon your return. You have to weigh the risk and see if the reason for your trip meets or exceeds that risk.

Last edited:

Ste_Vege

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
The fact that you verbally mentioned that you would only be staying in Canada for 20 days, may only be an issue if you had been given a stamp in your passport with a date to leave by (doesn't sound like you have that). You likely have 6 months from the date of entry so it's probably a non-issue.
I haven't been given a stamp on my passport, I have simply had to select how many days I was going to stay on the 'self-service' kiosk and then asked again the question by the officer. No more questions and no stamp.

IMHO, you will only know what will happen when you are inspected by CBSA upon your return. You have to weigh the risk and see if the reason for your trip meets or exceeds that risk.
I can bring proof of savings and a statement from my parents that they own a flat in Spain and they have a spare room and they will offer me an accomodation to stay with them if PR is rejected. Would it be good to have a statement from my Canadian wife saying that she is also willing to move to Spain with me if PR is negated? or that could negatively affect my application?

Also, what should I declare when re-entering? If I remember correctly, I will need to pre-fill the info on the 'self-service' kiosk, what do I put as a reason to enter (tourism/leisure, immigration?) and for how long?

Last edited:

Ste_Vege

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
I can bring proof of savings and a statement from my parents that they own a flat in Spain and they have a spare room and they will offer me an accomodation to stay with them if PR is rejected. Would it be good to have a statement from my Canadian wife saying that she is also willing to move to Spain with me if PR is negated? or that could negatively affect my application?

Also, what should I declare when re-entering? If I remember correctly, I will need to pre-fill the info on the 'self-service' kiosk, what do I put as a reason to enter (tourism/leisure, immigration?) and for how long?
Any help on this please? Anything else I can show to ease the officer concerns about home country ties?
I mean... if I applied for spousal sponsorship, obviously my plan A is to move to Canada, so it is difficult to keep ties for 1 year in the home country... does the officer consider this fact when dealing with people who applied for spousal sponsorship or are we treated like any other temporary resident?