13/09/2013
Doc's Request.
sent with app - app received Sept 18, 2013
AOR Received.
04/10/13
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
V --> M OWP received Jan 9th (pilot program)
Med's Request
AIP Feb 25/2015 & DM FEB 27/2015
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
March 18, 2015
jonwv said:
Hello everyone,

My case is somewhat complicated. I am an international student and I have been living with my common law partner for over two years. We planed to submit a outland app for the sake of shorter processing time, however, my academic suspension changed everything. University asks me to take 2015 winter seamster off and come back in Sep 2015. So to avoid losing legal status, we submitted an inland app with OWP.

My original study permit valid until aug 2016, but the suspension would make it invalid within 3 months as my school immigration advisor told me. So I am worried about not able to get OWP because my study permit is expiring now(Since the pilot program requires legal status and I don't know if my situation satisfy that requirement).

1.Am I eligible for OWP?

2.I have read about implied status, am I having an implied status now? What can I do before I get OWP, can I work or study?

3.Can I go back to university this September with OWP?

4.Can I reapply Study Permit now since I have a letter from school saying I am eligible to come back school this Sep?

I know this is a lot of questions and I am really looking for the best way for me to remain in Canada legally and go back to school next term.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

ps:
Mailed app: Jan 13, 2015
Received: Jan 17, 2015(showing on Canada post website)
I cant answer all of your questions...in our case, my partner was on a Post grad work permit, her permit expired in November ... she qualified for the owp under the pilot program. She got it in the mail 2 months after her PGWP expired...

i think she was considered to have maintained 'legal status' because she sent in an OWP application with her original PR application... ..that probably gave her implied status. (otherwise she wouldnt have qualified for lack of legal status)

So, if you dont have not maintained legal status then i think that you wont qualify

So my question would be, did you send in a OWP app with your inland PR application? and if so, did you send it in BEFORE your suspension kicks in? if so then i think you're good

jonwv

Oct 14, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
I included OWP app with inland app however it is after the suspension, but I don't know when will the office report the suspension to CIC. And I am not sure if I still have legal status within 3 months after I get suspended.

Actually, my problem now is I don't know what my legal status is and I don't know how to figure it out. My school immigration advisor has no answer for this and I don't know if I can trust CIC call centre because people are saying they provide contradict answers for same question.

Do you guys have any suggestion of how I can figure out my legal status now?

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
jonwv said:
I included OWP app with inland app however it is after the suspension, but I don't know when will the office report the suspension to CIC. And I am not sure if I still have legal status within 3 months after I get suspended.

Actually, my problem now is I don't know what my legal status is and I don't know how to figure it out. My school immigration advisor has no answer for this and I don't know if I can trust CIC call centre because people are saying they provide contradict answers for same question.

Do you guys have any suggestion of how I can figure out my legal status now?
You need to find out exactly what day ended / will end your legal status. If it was before January 17, you can apply for restoration of status, you can do this within 90 days of loosing your status, so you are still in time.
Can't the school immigration adviser confirm your lost of status? You can try and contact your MP and ask them to find out from CIC, but not every MP answer in a timely manner. You can also call the call centre yourself, but I personally don't trust them.
If there is no way to be 100% sure about the date I would just send a restoration and let CIC sort it out, but it would cost you a couple hundred bucks.

jonwv

Oct 14, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
Thank you for your advice. I am not studying now so can I still apply for restoration?
And I have included OWP app in my inland app, would that give me implied status?
Can I go ahead and apply for a new study permit for next term now?

Thank you again, and I would try to talk to my school immigration advisor again to see if he can find out the date I lost status.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
jonwv said:
Thank you for your advice. I am not studying now so can I still apply for restoration?
Yes, you can.

And I have included OWP app in my inland app, would that give me implied status?
If you still had legal status on January 17, then yes, you are or will be on implied status. If you didn't have legal status on January 17, then you are out of status and the OWP won't help it.

Can I go ahead and apply for a new study permit for next term now?
I'm not sure, I don't know the rules well enough.

Thank you again, and I would try to talk to my school immigration advisor again to see if he can find out the date I lost status.

erwinjohn997

Nov 4, 2014
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
11-07-2019
AOR Received.
waiting..
Hi. Me and my partner are planning to live together for a year as soon as I land in Canada on June 2015. We will be applying for a common law sponsorship next year in 2016. I would just like to ask if how many months is the processing time if both of us are staying in Canada? I mean based in cic website it says there that the maximum waitibn time is 25 months so that is almost 3 years right? Why it took them so long to verify the papers inland?

my student visa will expire in 2017 and student visa is not eligible for renewal. In 2016 we will be applying for common law sponsorship. what should I do if my visa will expired in 2017 while the embassy are processing our paper In land? is that advisable to go back to my country if my visa is expired and while processing our papers In canada?

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
erwinjohn997 said:
Hi. Me and my partner are planning to live together for a year as soon as I land in Canada on June 2015. We will be applying for a common law sponsorship next year in 2016. I would just like to ask if how many months is the processing time if both of us are staying in Canada? I mean based in cic website it says there that the maximum waitibn time is 25 months so that is almost 3 years right? Why it took them so long to verify the papers inland?

my student visa will expire in 2017 and student visa is not eligible for renewal. In 2016 we will be applying for common law sponsorship. what should I do if my visa will expired in 2017 while the embassy are processing our paper In land? is that advisable to go back to my country if my visa is expired and while processing our papers In canada?
Why it took them so long to verify the papers inland? - That's the question that every inlanders would die to know the answer for :D
You are planning to apply in one and a half years, that's plenty time to decide and lot of things can change during this. One thing is sure, you don't need to leave the country once your visa expire, you can change your status to visitor. Read the FAQ in my signature, follow this thread and the one that would be your outland office and you will get a better picture to what to choose when you are about to apply.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
For those who are planning to apply: The IMM 0008 has been updated!

Feb 24, 2015
Hi, I'm new to this and really don't understand how to go about this.

I am very much in love with a man and we plan on marrying and living together here in Toronto. He has only visited Canada from his home country, Sweden, once, but we've known each other nearly three years now (online). The next time he comes to Canada we would like to get married. Is he allowed to stay while we apply for an Inland Application? Or how do we go about this? When he left from his last visit it was unbearable being apart and we want to begin our lives together as soon as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to read this :)

vinotintazo

Star Member
Jul 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 9, 2015
Doc's Request.
May 2, 2015 (Forms with Typos)
AOR Received.
Mar 29, 2015 OWP: April 27, 2015
Med's Done....
Nov 9, 2014 (Upfront)
Interview........
SA: April 12, 2016 AIP: April 12, 2016 DM: April 12, 2016 Interview: Waived
LANDED..........
May 3, 2016
sophieee said:
For those who are planning to apply: The IMM 0008 has been updated!
Earlier this month when I sent my forms, they had not updated this form. Will they send my app back? :-X

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
vinotintazo said:
Earlier this month when I sent my forms, they had not updated this form. Will they send my app back? :-X
CIC should accept every app with the old form that was received before Feb 23, but even those that was sent before Feb 23. If they need a new form they still have the option to ask you to send only that one again without sending back the whole package.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
assumeIknowNothing said:
Hi, I'm new to this and really don't understand how to go about this.

I am very much in love with a man and we plan on marrying and living together here in Toronto. He has only visited Canada from his home country, Sweden, once, but we've known each other nearly three years now (online). The next time he comes to Canada we would like to get married. Is he allowed to stay while we apply for an Inland Application? Or how do we go about this? When he left from his last visit it was unbearable being apart and we want to begin our lives together as soon as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to read this :)
Welcome here, first read the FAQ in my signature so you can have some idea about the process.
I also suggest to follow the London thread besides this one:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-outland-london-uk-applications-t49436.15660.html
By the time your boyfriend comes next time you can decide if the inland or the outland process works better for you.
Good luck!

MC2015

Feb 2, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 29,2015
AOR Received.
April 24,2015
File Transfer...
SA April 21, 2016 / AIP April 21, 2016 / DM April 21, 2016
Med's Done....
Feb 16,2015
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 8, 2016
Does anybody here know if I take private french classes, I will be considered studying ?

GG_wife

Feb 9, 2015
sophieee said:
Üdv Kanadában és a fórumon ;)

You could apply for extension even with the outland process and stay in the country but since Vienna's processing time is more than a year and you have some red flags because of your previous denial I think inland is the better choice.
If you can send your PR app with an OWP before your visitor status expire than you don't need to apply for extension, you will have implied status in the meantime. Read the FAQ in my signature and ask your questions here.

Sok sikert! :)
Hello there,
I got stuck again...
This time it is about the medical check...
Do I need one for the OWP upfront to submit it along with my OWP (and spouse sponsorship application) or can I wait until they contact me for one?
I understand that for spouse sponsorship it's OK to wait, but I could not find any info on CIC whether that's the case for OWP as well...
thanks so very much for the response in advance!