AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
I'd like to welcome all future 2015 inland applicants!:)
Although it's still 2014, you can join this thread if you are planning to file an inland app in 2015, you can share your questions and concerns.

A couple things to start:
Know that you can apply outland even if you are in Canada. Check the processing time in the appropriate thread, it can be much shorter than what CIC states on the website.
If you apply inland, consider to send an application for OWP, which gives you implied status during the process (only if you have valid status at the time that CIC receives your Inland application and OWP).
Read more tips here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1exVjDW_qTVuCdi9Fnd5pKlOSA-XJ82Z4JDUZkUtQrE8/edit#heading=h.5g92pl60a1z2

Wish you a smooth and fast process in 2015!:)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aw...you're no SO nice sophieee.

Just to clarify, implied status only happens if the applicant has valid status at the time that CIC receives their Inland application and OWP (or Study Permit).

*edited to correct my boo boo* LOL!

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
Ponga said:
Aw...you're no nice sophieee.

Just to clarify, implied status only happens if the applicant has valid status at the time that CIC receives their Inland application and OWP (or Study Permit).
Thank you for the clarification, I edited the post.
Sorry if it was misleading, just wanted to start with the two most common thing I read in the 2013 and 2014 threads: "Wish I knew I could apply outland..." and "Wish I had sent an OWP..."

MaryLou6

Oct 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014, common-law
Doc's Request.
OWP received May 26.2015, SA & AIP August 31, 2015, DM on September 3, 2015
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
Ponga said:
Aw...you're no nice sophieee.

Does it mean if you apply for PR inland, while on valid Study Permit, but have not included OWP, you still have implied status?
I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I understand correctly.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MaryLou6 said:
Does it mean if you apply for PR inland, while on valid Study Permit, but have not included OWP, you still have implied status?
I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I understand correctly.
If your Study Permit expires before your Inland application is processed, you would not have implied status...but if it does NOT expire, you wouldn't need implied status anyway, because your previous status would still be in effect. :)

joeschmo

Sep 25, 2014
Yeah, that is kind of confusing. I applied inland and got confirmation that CIC received my application on April 28th 2014. I was here on a closed work permit, meaning I was on an intra-company transfer that was valid for three years. It expired in August and I am now here on a new permit that is a consultant/manager status good till Feb. 2015. Does this mean I have implied status as well?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow! Just received a -1 before I was able to correct my typo in my first reply! :'(

MaryLou6

Oct 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014, common-law
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
Ponga said:
If your Study Permit expires before your Inland application is processed, you would not have implied status...but if it does NOT expire, you wouldn't need implied status anyway, because your previous status would still be in effect. :)
It expires in August 2015 and I applied in September 2014... So after my Study Permit ends, do I need an AIP to have implied status, or I need to change my conditions to Visitor, not Student?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
joeschmo said:
Yeah, that is kind of confusing. I applied inland and got confirmation that CIC received my application on April 28th 2014. I was here on a closed work permit, meaning I was on an intra-company transfer that was valid for three years. It expired in August and I am now here on a new permit that is a consultant/manager status good till Feb. 2015. Does this mean I have implied status as well?
No. Implied status is nothing more than an `extension of your current status', if your status expires before you complete the Inland process.

If a person did not include an OWP or Study Permit with their inland application they would not benefit from implied status. Those individuals would need to apply to change their status (from worker to visitor, for example) before their status expires, if they wanted to remain in Canada legally*.

[*without the fear of possible removal before their Inland application is processed to completion.]

MaryLou6

Oct 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014, common-law
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
Ponga said:
No. Implied status is nothing more than an `extension of your current status', if your status expires before you complete the Inland process.

If a person did not include an OWP or Study Permit with their inland application they would not benefit from implied status. Those individuals would need to apply to change their status (from worker to visitor, for example) before their status expires, if they wanted to remain in Canada legally*.

[*without the fear of possible removal before their Inland application is processed to completion.]
Thank you so much Ponga. It would be a relief if I could just send the OWP now, since they most likely haven't even looked at my application yet...

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
Ponga said:
Wow! Just received a -1 before I was able to correct my typo in my first reply! :'(
It wasn't from me, your help is always much appreciated, and it would be even if you called me "no nice" :p :-*

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
joeschmo said:
No, currently you have a valid work permit. In a sense this is "more" than an implied status.
You could have implied status after Feb 2015 IF you sent an OWP along with your PR app AND your company doesn't provide you a new work permit. Implied status means that you currently don't have any other valid status but you are waiting for one (some other restrictions apply, like you have to send the OWP with you PR app and you need to have valid status).

joeschmo

Sep 25, 2014
sophieee said:
No, currently you have a valid work permit. In a sense this is "more" than an implied status.
You could have implied status after Feb 2015 IF you sent an OWP along with your PR app AND your company doesn't provide you a new work permit. Implied status means that you currently don't have any other valid status but you are waiting for one (some other restrictions apply, like you have to send the OWP with you PR app and you need to have valid status).
Thank you Sophieee,

As a side note, I spoke to CIC today and the rep told me that I can apply for my OWP now and the processing takes four months which means I'll have it in March. The CIC website will be updated in a few days to reflect this and they will now encourage people to send in their OWP application separately from their PR application. The notes were sent out to CIC reps just today. So I guess this will mean that I'll have implied status between Feb. 21 (my expiration date) and the time my OWP becomes valid. I may just apply for TRP before this just in case.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
joeschmo said:
Thank you Sophieee,

As a side note, I spoke to CIC today and the rep told me that I can apply for my OWP now and the processing takes four months which means I'll have it in March. The CIC website will be updated in a few days to reflect this and they will now encourage people to send in their OWP application separately from their PR application. The notes were sent out to CIC reps just today. So I guess this will mean that I'll have implied status between Feb. 21 (my expiration date) and the time my OWP becomes valid. I may just apply for TRP before this just in case.
It sounds very interesting. Forgive me, I don't trust at all any call centre agent, they proved themselves unreliable so many times before, but I will check the website the next week.