Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Mrs_Canuck said:
Line.a, I am truly sorry for the pain you must be feeling right now. I know you do not know us outside of this forum, but we are all here for you during your difficult time. My husband is going through the same situation right now, his grandmother is ill in Turkey and there is no way for him to see her. It is terrible for me to see him go through this and not be able to help.
There is nothing in the law that says one cannot leave Canada with an in-process application, so there is nothing CIC can do. The real decision is what a CBSA officer does upon your return to Canada. If you have all your paperwork to re-enter Canada then it shouldn't be a problem. CBSA officer's have broad latitude but they are still well aware of the impact a refusal would have upon you - and that's a refusal you can challenge so they know they need to have some reasonable basis for a refusal.

I know the common wisdom is "don't leave Canada with an inland application" but there are also people who think the only safe investment is a GIC. That has to do with risk tolerance. There's just no legal requirement so there's nothing CIC can (or will) do.

dawlex

Star Member
Aug 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-Feb-2013
AOR Received.
06-Mar-2013
File Transfer...
07-Mar-2013 <br><i>- to Vancouver CIC (BRO)</i>
Med's Request
16-May-2013<br><i>- sent with original application</i>
Med's Done....
11-Jan-2013
Interview........
29-Apr-2013 (at Local CIC) <br><i> - AIP verbally approved at interview !! </i><br>AIP & OWP Rec'd: 10-May-2013<br>RCMP Check Req'd: 02-Aug-2013 <br><i>- sent 14-Aug-2013</i><br>DM: Rec'd letter 24-Oct-2013 <br><i>- letter dated 21-Oct-2012</i><br>Landing Interview/PR Rec'd: 12-Nov-2013<br>Rec'd PR card in mail: 18-01-2012
guri3577 said:
Dawlex became a PR today. Congrats to him and his family :)
Yes it is true, we are excited to announce that hubby received his PR today!! :D

The landing appointment letter had a list of things to bring: the letter itself, receipt of PR fee for $490 (we sent original with application), our ID, verification of both our incomes, any immigration documents in our possession, his SIN#, 2 photos, and i think that was about it. We were called to the counter, provided all of these documents, the officer asked if he had any criminal convictions in Canada, and if he had any dependents not listed on the application, he had to inital and sign the PR and then it was issued with congrats from the officer. We were told he could apply for citizenship in 3 years, and then I (sponsor) was also asked if I was aware of and understood the 3yr undertaking. Also advised that the PR card itself should come in the mail in 6-8wks, and warned that it was not advisable to travel until it is received as you may not be allowed re-entry to Canada without it. We were then told to wait at the side until we were called into an interview room, and once called in, he was issued his permanent SIN# (which will also come in the mail in 6-8wks, but, is active as of now) and he is to use the paper one they issued until the card arrives in the mail.

Good Luck to everyone who is still waiting.. your turn will be coming soon!

Cirene

Sep 9, 2013
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
Sent with Application // PCC: Sent with Application
dawlex said:
Yes it is true, we are excited to announce that hubby received his PR today!! :D

The landing appointment letter had a list of things to bring: the letter itself, receipt of PR fee for $490 (we sent original with application), our ID, verification of both our incomes, any immigration documents in our possession, his SIN#, 2 photos, and i think that was about it. We were called to the counter, provided all of these documents, the officer asked if he had any criminal convictions in Canada, and if he had any dependents not listed on the application, he had to inital and sign the PR and then it was issued with congrats from the officer. We were told he could apply for citizenship in 3 years, and then I (sponsor) was also asked if I was aware of and understood the 3yr undertaking. Also advised that the PR card itself should come in the mail in 6-8wks, and warned that it was not advisable to travel until it is received as you may not be allowed re-entry to Canada without it. We were then told to wait at the side until we were called into an interview room, and once called in, he was issued his permanent SIN# (which will also come in the mail in 6-8wks, but, is active as of now) and he is to use the paper one they issued until the card arrives in the mail.

Good Luck to everyone who is still waiting.. your turn will be coming soon!
OMG :D You must be so excited. I'm here with my husband reading this and he just told me "That would be us soon babe"! I just can't wait.

Congratulations Dawlex :D So so happy for you!

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
ArtSnow said:
My prayers are with you and your family Line.a, this is a very delicate situation, I'm always fearful something along those lines happens with my parents back in Portugal, I can't even imagine.
Hang in there, it will be ok.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! It is horrible and it's certainly the worst possibly time to receive bad news like that! Not only is it such a hassle with flights and what not, but I am scared about getting in trouble at the border, the last thing we need is this application to be gone out the window! Likewise, and once again, thank you!!

LaylaLala

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
Ontario, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-Jan-2013
AOR Received.
13-Feb2013
Med's Request
17-Nov-2013
Med's Done....
4-Dec-2013
Interview........
29-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
29-Apr-2014
Line.a said:
I am so heartbroken. One of my favourite grandparents has been diagnosed with cancer. We don't know how bad the situation is, but the fact that he's past 80 it can't be looking good.. I want to travel home, is there not a way we can go for an exception like that? I can't live with myself if I eventually don't see him before it's too late! :(
I'm so sorry for that Line.a I understand completely. My mom passed away in August, at the young age of 50. I wished I had seen her one last time, but that never happened. I obviously had to go back home to take care of things (I'm an only child) and say my last goodbye. At that point I really didn't care about what CIC says about leaving. After two weeks, I came back (wish it would've been longer, but I had the PR application to worry about as well) and I had no problems when I talked to the CBSA agent. He showed empathy, said he was sorry for my loss and let me back in.I did have her death certificate at hand, although he never asked for it. These guys aren't as horrible as some say, they are just doing their job. I'm sure they will understand. Maybe some proof of your grandfather's condition will help, I know it's a tough one. Hope I could be of more help. Good luck. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Blessings!

kaiu

Nov 13, 2013
Not sure how to edit the profile or join the Google Doc (Forum doesn't allow me to PM)

Application Received: March 4, 2013
Application Processed: March 20, 2013

Sponsoring my wife
- Was here on a PGWP which has expired and has an OWP application that was sent later
- Medicals done & sent some time April/May 2013
- Police report from her home country along with certified translations etc... sent with application.

Xenocat

May 25, 2013
Hey Line.a - I feel your pain, I really do.

A few weeks back my mom suffered a brain aneurysm with minor stroke... it was the worst experience I've ever gone through in my life. I was so torn about whether or not I should leave Canada to go attend her at the hospital, or stay in Canada.

Fortunately, my sister in the States was keeping me up to date, and said it looked like she was expected to make a full recovery. (Which she did in fact do!)... but had I thought for a minute that she's wasn't going to survive the ordeal, I would have gone. Some things are just more important than a piece of paper. My advice to you would be to look inside... and decide for yourself what's gotta take priority.

My take on the whole thing, is that if you have issues getting back in to Canada, even after explaining everything to the border agent, then that agent must be one cold SOB, and try to speak to his/her superior.

All that said tho.... It looks like you and I share similar application days!

My application was received on 12 Feb 2013, and started processing on 28 Feb 2013. So I'm watching you for good news on mine, lol. Good luck, and I hope it all works out for ya!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Line.a said:
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! It is horrible and it's certainly the worst possibly time to receive bad news like that! Not only is it such a hassle with flights and what not, but I am scared about getting in trouble at the border, the last thing we need is this application to be gone out the window! Likewise, and once again, thank you!!
I'm sorry to hear about your beloved grandparent and hope the s/he will make it through this very soon.

I know it's not much consolation but perhaps you should consider using a service such as Skype...at least in the interim until you make a decision. While certainly not the same thing as `being there' to hold their hand, it would at least allow you to see them (and they you) which is certainly better than a phone call or email. The Skype app seems to work well on smartphones and best of all, it's free.

Keep the faith.

Andym

Jan 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2013
AOR Received.
08-02-2013
FYI

Work is beginning on 2013 apps. Yesterday had a call from CIC requesting my (the sponsor's) birth certificate. We are positive it was in the initial app but the CIC person said it was not there. Regardless, we faxed it off yesterday. They said they were done except for that piece of info. Checking email very often now ;)

Spikey92

Star Member
Jan 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2013
AOR Received.
15-05-2013
Med's Done....
16-04-2013
LANDED..........
12-03-2014
Andym that is awesome news :D yay!

folks-g

Star Member
Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24/05/2013
Doc's Request.
OWP with app
Nomination.....
AIP/OWP JAN 29 2014
AOR Received.
05/06/2013
IELTS Request
docs requested jan 29
Med's Done....
15/05/2013
Andym said:
FYI

Work is beginning on 2013 apps. Yesterday had a call from CIC requesting my (the sponsor's) birth certificate. We are positive it was in the initial app but the CIC person said it was not there. Regardless, we faxed it off yesterday. They said they were done except for that price of info. Checking email very often now ;)
ohh wow thats great its about time

PRsoon

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2013
AOR Received.
10-09-2013
kaiu said:
Not sure how to edit the profile or join the Google Doc (Forum doesn't allow me to PM)

Application Received: March 4, 2013
Application Processed: March 20, 2013

Sponsoring my wife
- Was here on a PGWP which has expired and has an OWP application that was sent later
- Medicals done & sent some time April/May 2013
- Police report from her home country along with certified translations etc... sent with application.
Has your wife continued working under implied status after her PGWP expired?

I am currently working full time but my PGWP will expire on March 1 and I should only get my AIP by June. I sent an OWP application together with my PR application. I wonder if I can continue working under implied status after my PGWP expires...

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
PRsoon said:

I am currently working full time but my PGWP will expire on March 1 and I should only get my AIP by June. I sent an OWP application together with my PR application. I wonder if I can continue working under implied status after my PGWP expires...
a PGWP is NOT extendable. If you continue to work after it expires you will be breaking the law. Some will tell you it's ok, heck even some reps at CIC call center will tell you it is ok, but there have been cases noted on this forum where folks were denied to either land because they broke the law by working after they expired or they falsely thought they had implied status and COULD continue working. Some have also managed to fly under the radar and continue working the entire time with no ill effects. You have to make your own decision and figure out what it is worth to you.

kaiu

Nov 13, 2013
PRsoon said:

Unfortunately, my wife has not worked since January? (money is pretty tight, but she never found something permanent, just have to suck it up heh)... Her PGWP expired Nov. 1, 2013.

However, we did check with immigration (as of Oct. 16, 2013). Technically if you already are working under your PGWP, you can keep working under implied status if you sent in the OWP application. It's only if you aren't currently working, you can't get under that implied status once your PGWP is over.

*REALLY REALLY want to go on vacation out of the country, but yeah... This immigration thing has delayed a lot of plans.*

PRsoon

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2013
AOR Received.
10-09-2013
Alurra71 said:
a PGWP is NOT extendable. If you continue to work after it expires you will be breaking the law. Some will tell you it's ok, heck even some reps at CIC call center will tell you it is ok, but there have been cases noted on this forum where folks were denied to either land because they broke the law by working after they expired or they falsely thought they had implied status and COULD continue working. Some have also managed to fly under the radar and continue working the entire time with no ill effects. You have to make your own decision and figure out what it is worth to you.
Thank you for the feedback.

What confuses most is that I called CIC more than once and all the reps say that you can work under implied status after my PGWP expires. They say it does not matter that its not extendable. The PGWP is considered by the CIC as just a type of open work permit. It is hard to not believe the only people that can actually give you official information.

Another question: my PGWP was issued till March because back then my passport was expiring at March. Technically I can apply for another PGWP with expire date by mid-June. Should I do that? Or better, can I apply for another PGWP when I already have a PR application filed since August 2013?