Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2013
AOR Received.
10-09-2013
kaiu said:
Unfortunately, my wife has not worked since January? (money is pretty tight, but she never found something permanent, just have to suck it up heh)... Her PGWP expired Nov. 1, 2013.

However, we did check with immigration (as of Oct. 16, 2013). Technically if you already are working under your PGWP, you can keep working under implied status if you sent in the OWP application. It's only if you aren't currently working, you can't get under that implied status once your PGWP is over.

*REALLY REALLY want to go on vacation out of the country, but yeah... This immigration thing has delayed a lot of plans.*
Thank you kaiu!

This is exactly the way I understand from the feedback I got from CIC.

I am currently working full time under my PGWP so I understand I can continue working under implied status after it expires.

P.S.: I am from Brazil and I would love to watch the Soccer World Cup there. But unfortunately we cannot leave the country during the PR process. Very sad here too :-(

salsal31

Star Member
Jun 15, 2011
Line.a said:
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! It is horrible and it's certainly the worst possibly time to receive bad news like that! Not only is it such a hassle with flights and what not, but I am scared about getting in trouble at the border, the last thing we need is this application to be gone out the window! Likewise, and once again, thank you!!
My prayers are with you and your family, I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
kaiu said:
Unfortunately, my wife has not worked since January? (money is pretty tight, but she never found something permanent, just have to suck it up heh)... Her PGWP expired Nov. 1, 2013.

However, we did check with immigration (as of Oct. 16, 2013). Technically if you already are working under your PGWP, you can keep working under implied status if you sent in the OWP application. It's only if you aren't currently working, you can't get under that implied status once your PGWP is over.

*REALLY REALLY want to go on vacation out of the country, but yeah... This immigration thing has delayed a lot of plans.*
Please see my above post. PGWP is NOT extendable. It is a one shot deal and when it's over, it's over. I know what CIC call center told you, and to follow that advice could cost you your PR. Take that advice for what it is worth.

Check this link out regarding PGWP http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=676&t=6 Please note that it says if you are awaiting a decision on your CEC application. It has NOTHING to do with your family class application. There are rules rules and more rules to be followed in order to not jeapordize your chances of obtaining your spousal PR. It is up to YOU to know the rules and follow up on the information given to you. Ignorance of the law will NOT save you if you continue to work and CIC decides you are in breach of the law.

This is a thread dealing with an IEC work visa, which is under same category as PGWP http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/apply-inland-after-iec-expire-keep-working-and-now-aip-refuse-t163087.0.html

salsal31

Star Member
Jun 15, 2011
Andym said:
FYI

Work is beginning on 2013 apps. Yesterday had a call from CIC requesting my (the sponsor's) birth certificate. We are positive it was in the initial app but the CIC person said it was not there. Regardless, we faxed it off yesterday. They said they were done except for that price of info. Checking email very often now ;)
OMG, I am so excited. Our application was sent 3 days after you. Hopefully you get some good news this week :)

PRsoon

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2013
AOR Received.
10-09-2013
Alurra71 said:
Please see my above post. PGWP is NOT extendable. It is a one shot deal and when it's over, it's over. I know what CIC call center told you, and to follow that advice could cost you your PR. Take that advice for what it is worth.

Check this link out regarding PGWP. Please note that it says if you are awaiting a decision on your CEC application. It has NOTHING to do with your family class application. There are rules rules and more rules to be followed in order to not jeapordize your chances of obtaining your spousal PR. It is up to YOU to know the rules and follow up on the information given to you. Ignorance of the law will NOT save you if you continue to work and CIC decides you are in breach of the law.

This is a thread dealing with an IEC work visa, which is under same category as PGWP.
Thank you Alurra71. I have just read the whole thread :) Yes, it seems I will not have implied status after my PGWP expires.

Do you know if I can apply to extend my current PGWP while I wait for the OWP/PR? Again, my PGWP expires on March 1 because my passport was close to expire back then. My current PGWP has a note saying: "Issued to passport expiry date. Must be renewed for further extensions".

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
PRsoon said:
Thank you Alurra71. I have just read the whole thread :) Yes, it seems I will not have implied status after my PGWP expires.

Do you know if I can apply to extend my current PGWP while I wait for the OWP/PR? Again, my PGWP expires on March 1 because my passport was close to expire back then. My current PGWP has a note saying: "Issued to passport expiry date. Must be renewed for further extensions".
I have absolutely NO idea how you would do that. I only know about the danger if you work beyond the expiry. I would use the same link that I provided before and look to see if there is something in the 'bridging' section perhaps? If there is phone number or email associated with how you originally got your PGWP then I would go ahead and inquire via that method.

PRsoon

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2013
AOR Received.
10-09-2013
Alurra71 said:
I have absolutely NO idea how you would do that. I only know about the danger if you work beyond the expiry. I would use the same link that I provided before and look to see if there is something in the 'bridging' section perhaps? If there is phone number or email associated with how you originally got your PGWP then I would go ahead and inquire via that method.
Hmm. It seems like the Bridging open work permit is only for people applying for PR under one of these programs: Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), Canadian Experience Class (CEC), Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) or the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP).

Guess I will have to do some research on this topic. I am currently working full time in a permanent career job and would hate to stop working.

Thank you for the feedback.

hockeyfan

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
10-01-2013
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
31-05-2014
PRsoon said:

Sup PR?

What degree did you get in Canada? If you went to university here and graduated, you are entitled to a 3 year PGWP. I think for college here, you get less than 3 years, but the max you can get is 3 years. And yes, you can extend it to get the maximum allowed time in Canada, only if the reason was because your passport was about to expire. They cannot give a valid work permit beyond the expiry date of your passport. So, say you are entitled to a 3 year PGWP and your passport expires before that 3 year period, then CIC will only give you a valid work permit to the extent of the expiry of your passport.

salsal31

Star Member
Jun 15, 2011
dawlex said:
Yes it is true, we are excited to announce that hubby received his PR today!! :D

The landing appointment letter had a list of things to bring: the letter itself, receipt of PR fee for $490 (we sent original with application), our ID, verification of both our incomes, any immigration documents in our possession, his SIN#, 2 photos, and i think that was about it. We were called to the counter, provided all of these documents, the officer asked if he had any criminal convictions in Canada, and if he had any dependents not listed on the application, he had to inital and sign the PR and then it was issued with congrats from the officer. We were told he could apply for citizenship in 3 years, and then I (sponsor) was also asked if I was aware of and understood the 3yr undertaking. Also advised that the PR card itself should come in the mail in 6-8wks, and warned that it was not advisable to travel until it is received as you may not be allowed re-entry to Canada without it. We were then told to wait at the side until we were called into an interview room, and once called in, he was issued his

permanent SIN# (which will also come in the mail in 6-8wks, but, is active as of now) and he is to use the paper one they issued

until the card arrives in the mail.

Good Luck to everyone who is still waiting.. your turn will be coming soon!

Congratulations for officially being our first 2013 applicant to get DM, your journey is over. Best wishes :) :)

PRsoon

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2013
AOR Received.
10-09-2013
hockeyfan said:
Sup PR?

What degree did you get in Canada? If you went to university here and graduated, you are entitled to a 3 year PGWP. I think for college here, you get less than 3 years, but the max you can get is 3 years. And yes, you can extend it to get the maximum allowed time in Canada, only if the reason was because your passport was about to expire. They cannot give a valid work permit beyond the expiry date of your passport. So, say you are entitled to a 3 year PGWP and your passport expires before that 3 year period, then CIC will only give you a valid work permit to the extent of the expiry of your passport.
Hi hockeyfan

I did a 1 year post graduate program which I finished in June 2013. So I should have a PGWP till mid-June. But unfortunately by then my passport was expiring at March 2013. So they issued it till March and added a note saying ""Issued to passport expiry date. Must be renewed for further extensions".

So what I mean is that I wanted my PGWP till June-13 which would give me enough time to wait for the AIP. The 3 year PGWP does not apply to me because my school program was only for 1 year.

Andym

Jan 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2013
AOR Received.
08-02-2013
AIP received by email today

hockeyfan

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
10-01-2013
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
31-05-2014
Andym said:
CONGRASTTEKJTKDJKJD DMOMMGMGM OMG CONGRATSS

niks1

Star Member
Jul 26, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2013
AOR Received.
13-03-2013
LANDED..........
27-03-2014
Andym said:
Congrats Congrats Congrats....Awesome.....

guri3577

May 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Done....