02-11-2010
Med's Request
Oct 2011 -2nd Medical request
Med's Done....
October 2009
Interview........
11-01-2011
Love_Young said:
Hubby just got asked to pay $60 to the CRA for the year 07-08. Do what?

We called about it and apparently they messed up saying we were in a common law relationship in 2008 instead of on the 2009 return. Ugh...
Now we have to mail them a letter explaining the correct date and evidence of our marriage certificate for our new relationship status. The man said they will take the $60 out of his refund since technically he owes it but that they will reimburse him when they correct the error. That is all fine and dandy but hubby is already supposed to get almost $300 less than he thought he would get on his refund. Does anyone know what the provincial/territorial tax is? That is what the are taking the almost $300 out for on the return. (We are using Ufile) Was I doing right by linking our returns even if we mail separately? Anyway these financial stresses are getting under my skin lately. Might as well get used to it because this is going to be life from here on out, isn't it? I can only hope CIC is more understanding than the CRA. I feel like I am running on a hamster wheel and can't get out. Round and round I go.

*And cue the CRA/financial headache again for this year*

I totally know how you feel Love_young. Its a well known fact that when you get married it causes all sorts of havic on your taxes..ours has been outragious. The gov is asking for my husbands "world income" (money he made in countries outside of Canada) for 2008 and 2009, they have stopped my child tax benefit for my son, held back all our GST since lst year, mixed up our marital staus's that we thought we already straightened out and saying we owe thousands of dollars. I guess even though i was a single mother in 2008 when I met my husband and they are recalculating my taxes for that year to include his income. Which in tern makes me ineligable for the benefit ...so they want all their money back. Our tax guy said our taxes was going to be 120.00 to do. I prepaid, when I got there he said we had to pay an extra 100.00 because he had to tally up my reciepts for tax deductions, and then when i went there yesterday ..they said they needed 187.00 more! Who pays $400 to do their taxes!? :eek: I love those commercials with the guy who is complaining that he has pain in his lower extremedies...because taxes really are a pain in the backside!!!l :-\

Well i guess we are eligible for a return this year but it will be going toward the balance we "owe" geesh all that for nothing.

On a happy note: Hubby got a job!!!! :)

Today is his first day of a really great job. I think he will be wonderful at it. It pays well and will have excellent benefits after 3 months. Things are really startin to look bright for us. We have been through alot in these past couple years and I am happy to say that we have so much to look forward to ;D

Cmilo

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AmandaHsu said:
HI Cmilo

May I ask where you found the info? I just check the website and "Last update: March 2, 2011" is showed on the website....so I think CIC hasn't updated for this week yet

TeresaLynn

Jan 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 18, 2010
Doc's Request.
January 07, 2011
AOR Received.
April 12, 2011
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
February 17, 2012
Jadanian - Whenever there is a marital status change it messes things up. If you send in your husbands world income it will sort itself out. It happens to a lot of people. They can't calculate your benefits if they don't have your spouses income and since he didn't file a Canadian tax return they are requesting the world income. CRA will back pay you your benefits once they receive his world income if you are still within the incomes levels. As for your accountant he sounds like he is scamming you. Just because you have receipts doesn't mean he should charge you more. A tax return should be about $25-50 to complete, and about $100 if it's really complicated, but not $400. Get your paperwork back and take it somewhere else. So sad how people can take advantage of people. I hope this helps.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Hey TeresaLynn, so does this mean that they will back pay the GST that hubby did not get last year? I am assuming because they are just now able it seems to finish up last years. Also when I sent mine to the International office will mine get matched with hubby's even though he will be at another office? And I have another question, should we include the "determination of residency status" form in with mine a long with world income form? I don't want to be asked for evidence all through out the year again. Ugh...

And I used the tax software Ufile to fill out our forms, where it asked if I wanted to link our returns, was this the correct thing to do?
I tried doing it without and with. It seems that if we didn't somehow link them together that he wouldn't be entitled for the WITB which is $400 he would miss out on. Hmm...I don't know what I am doing.

Corrine

Jan 31, 2011
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/11/2010 Started Processing Jan 10,2011
AOR Received.
AIP Oct 26,2011
Med's Done....
22/10/2010
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made Nov 15,2011
LANDED..........
Dec 12,2011 Landed Etobicoke
Boy does getting married mess up your taxes, its almost like you get punished for being married. I lost my G.S.T in 2010 and even had to pay back the CRA a G.S.T refund that I was not entitled too. My husband never made any money in 2009 and thats the year that they based the G.S.T refund on. I lost money just for being married, mind you I do not have a high income at all. I usually file my taxes in Feb but since we are going to owe money I have been putting off the tax man. I never pursued CRA on the G.S.T issue, maybe others might have more luck!

canadiancitizen

Feb 3, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 10-2011
Doc's Request.
July 8, 2011
Med's Done....
April-26-2011
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
Corrine said:
Boy does getting married mess up your taxes, its almost like you get punished for being married. I lost my G.S.T in 2010 and even had to pay back the CRA a G.S.T refund that I was not entitled too. My husband never made any money in 2009 and thats the year that they based the G.S.T refund on. I lost money just for being married, mind you I do not have a high income at all. I usually file my taxes in Feb but since we are going to owe money I have been putting off the tax man. I never pursued CRA on the G.S.T issue, maybe others might have more luck!
Hello everybody... not matter what, you need to report your marital status, if you decide to report as single then you are going to lose the tax exemptions for dependants in the case that your hubbie makes less or zero income... if you are using a software to file your income tax return then you must insert the name of your husband on the first page, then fill up the schedule were you specify his income... if you report as single you loose advantages (combine medical expenses, city taxes, medical insurance, Child and family benefits CCTB, GST/HST credit, etc), taking in consideration o depending the province where you are... in fact, if most of you do earned a salary and you are paying taxes then you should report it... if you are not working and you are 19 or older then you are entitle to GST and HST credits, and for family of two without owning a house, you should not pay more than 40 for both returns, if you have a house, children then you are looking at a 60$ fee for preparation...

Janadian

Jun 14, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 18 2010
File Transfer...
02-11-2010
Med's Request
Med's Done....
October 2009
Interview........
11-01-2011
I know.. lol..this is our 2nd year filing and its still incredibly messed up. They kept promising me that when we sent everything in they would reverse everything nd we would get thousands back. so we happily did what we were told and didn't fuss about it. This week they tell us we are not getting a penny back..the amount owing that finally got down to 1000.00 is now increased by 2500.00 and we have never heard a response yet from my hubbies last year return. I'm told its not until year 3 that things mellow out.

Hang in there guys..do your taxes, but don't count your chickens until they hatch..lol...and maybe not even then for the first 2 years. :p

Silver lining is i caught a mistake on our notice of assessment that might bring down the balance a bit.

Janadian

Jun 14, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 18 2010
File Transfer...
02-11-2010
Med's Request
Med's Done....
October 2009
Interview........
11-01-2011
canadiancitizen said:
Hello everybody... not matter what, you need to report your marital status, if you decide to report as single then you are going to lose the tax exemptions for dependants in the case that your hubbie makes less or zero income... if you are using a software to file your income tax return then you must insert the name of your husband on the first page, then fill up the schedule were you specify his income... if you report as single you loose advantages (combine medical expenses, city taxes, medical insurance, Child and family benefits CCTB, GST/HST credit, etc), taking in consideration o depending the province where you are... in fact, if most of you do earned a salary and you are paying taxes then you should report it... if you are not working and you are 19 or older then you are entitle to GST and HST credits, and for family of two without owning a house, you should not pay more than 40 for both returns, if you have a house, children then you are looking at a 60$ fee for preparation...
Thanks Ccitizen for the info :)

To be fair, our tax guy last year filed my marital status wrong and some of my problems have been around that. I have a child and a small business so it makes it a little more difficult of a return.

I still know im getting gouged because the tax reps said its unfortunate that the way the tax law is set up, we lose out...and as for my new ex-tax guy, my small buisness details are tax ready, all he had to do is plunk in the numbers..I will be shopping around for a new tax person next year for sure. Lesson learned.

Love_young Wish i could answer your question for ya hon...as you can see..i'm not so knowledgeable /lucky in the tax department LOL..best of luck to you! :-*

canadiancitizen

Feb 3, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 10-2011
Doc's Request.
July 8, 2011
Med's Done....
April-26-2011
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
Janadian said:
I know.. lol..this is our 2nd year filing and its still incredibly messed up. They kept promising me that when we sent everything in they would reverse everything nd we would get thousands back. so we happily did what we were told and didn't fuss about it. This week they tell us we are not getting a penny back..the amount owing that finally got down to 1000.00 is now increased by 2500.00 and we have never heard a response yet from my hubbies last year return. I'm told its not until year 3 that things mellow out.

Hang in there guys..do your taxes, but don't count your chickens until they hatch..lol...and maybe not even then for the first 2 years. :p

Silver lining is i caught a mistake on our notice of assessment that might bring down the balance a bit.
If you have to pay money back, it means that you both have a good job, perhaps you should consider contributing to your RRSPs, now is too late, but is the best way to use taxes to your advantage (you get a 30% refund for every dollar you invest).. Now, if you don't want to pay at the end of the year, then you should consider increasing your Taxes at source by completing Form TD1 (ask your employer, you are allow to change it once a year) so can end the fiscal year even. Some people love receiving money back, to me is like asking the gov to use my money without getting not return from it, so I rather end the year even.

TeresaLynn

Jan 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 18, 2010
Doc's Request.
January 07, 2011
AOR Received.
April 12, 2011
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
February 17, 2012
Love_Young said:
Hey TeresaLynn, so does this mean that they will back pay the GST that hubby did not get last year? I am assuming because they are just now able it seems to finish up last years. Also when I sent mine to the International office will mine get matched with hubby's even though he will be at another office? And I have another question, should we include the "determination of residency status" form in with mine a long with world income form? I don't want to be asked for evidence all through out the year again. Ugh...

And I used the tax software Ufile to fill out our forms, where it asked if I wanted to link our returns, was this the correct thing to do?
I tried doing it without and with. It seems that if we didn't somehow link them together that he wouldn't be entitled for the WITB which is $400 he would miss out on. Hmm...I don't know what I am doing.
It depends on your combined family income. If you had zero income then more then likely he will be back paid for his GST plus he will get additional payments because of you. GST is based on family income and it's one payment per family. However if you had income it is added to his and he may be ineligible for the GST because the family income is too high. It all depends. Only you would know your combined family income so I cannot answer you question with confidence. As for it being sent to two different offices, they will be linked because CRA works off one system. So no worries. I suggest you link the returns, but you can netfile yours as you already know. It optimizes the credits you are entitled to on your returns. I hope this helps. I know everyone's tax situations can be frustrating but they will hopefully all work out.

Cmilo

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Has someone noticed that CIC's website is kind of weird? sometimes it says:
last update March 9, 2011
and some other times it says
last update March 2, 2011

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
TeresaLynn said:
It depends on your combined family income. If you had zero income then more then likely he will be back paid for his GST plus he will get additional payments because of you. GST is based on family income and it's one payment per family. However if you had income it is added to his and he may be ineligible for the GST because the family income is too high. It all depends. Only you would know your combined family income so I cannot answer you question with confidence. As for it being sent to two different offices, they will be linked because CRA works off one system. So no worries. I suggest you link the returns, but you can netfile yours as you already know. It optimizes the credits you are entitled to on your returns. I hope this helps. I know everyone's tax situations can be frustrating but they will hopefully all work out.
Hi, thanks again for always answering my bombardment of questions. It helps so much though.
Well my income has been zero since 2009 so I am pretty sure he would still be entitled to it. It would be nice if he could get paid back for that and more. And I linked our accounts but I already printed them off so I guess he will be mailing his too. Plus don't you need a NETFILE number in order to file it through that way? So it would probably be too late to do that.

Here is my last question though (for now):
Should I mail in the "determination of residency" or "world income" form with my return?

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
Cmilo said:
Has someone noticed that CIC's website is kind of weird? sometimes it says:
last update March 9, 2011
and some other times it says
last update March 2, 2011
Well I usually don't even look at the CIC site but that would seem odd.
Are you refreshing the page or always typing in the address? Sometimes pages mess up if you just refresh.
But it is possible that they aren't doing very good with the updating. Maybe there are problems with the program for it. This would explain why the date of processing didn't change this week. This is why I created the chart because their chart isn't always reliant or works. And with all the people having problems with ECAS too lately, I am amazed they haven't at least attempted to fix their errors. Oh well. Lets hope all of it is a glitch that is fixed soon.

Cmilo

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Love_Young said:
Well I usually don't even look at the CIC site but that would seem odd.
Are you refreshing the page or always typing in the address? Sometimes pages mess up if you just refresh.
But it is possible that they aren't doing very good with the updating. Maybe there are problems with the program for it. This would explain why the date of processing didn't change this week. This is why I created the chart because their chart isn't always reliant or works. And with all the people having problems with ECAS too lately, I am amazed they haven't at least attempted to fix their errors. Oh well. Lets hope all of it is a glitch that is fixed soon.
well I did a bunch of things and its still bugging. I even tried restarting my computer and using mozilla and google chrome.
I hope it will be ok soon

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
Cmilo said:
well I did a bunch of things and its still bugging. I even tried restarting my computer and using mozilla and google chrome.
I hope it will be ok soon
Then I would say it is a glitch on their side. I would say give it until the next update and see if it fixes itself. Sometimes I really wonder it they are actually still working on applications only on that date or it the site just glitches. This is why we can't rely just on the CIC site.