+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian travel after getting Canadian citizenship

kot81

May 15, 2017
I'm sorry I did not understand your questions.

I'm not a Canadian citizen yet. I traveled to India with my son who holds a Canadian passport with Indian eVisa. The immigration officer in India mentioned to us that he can stay upto 6 months.
Thank you, my question was this - whether a Canadian Citizen can stay in eVisa ( not the regular Travel Visa) for more than 60 days with a Canadian passport. I am asking this since the Consulate General of India - Toronto website mentions only max 60 days stay in the eVisa; there is no mention of special allowance of stay more than 60 day’s mentioned for citizens of specific countries (in our case, Canada).

kot81

May 15, 2017
Hi Kot81,

The updated rules states that
"The length of continuous stay mustn't be longer than 90 days -- except for citizens of US, UK, Japan and Canada. Citizens of these countries can stay for up to 180 days at a time."
So, with a evisa and canadian passport you should be good for 5 months.
Aeropostale,
O just checked the CGI Toronto website for eVisa, now where is it mentioned that citizens of Canada can stay for up to 180 days. Are you referring to generic tourist visa or eVisa ?

aeropostale

Sep 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aeropostale,
O just checked the CGI Toronto website for eVisa, now where is it mentioned that citizens of Canada can stay for up to 180 days. Are you referring to generic tourist visa or eVisa ?
What I've shared is from personal experience of travelling to India in July this year. Also, it is posted in the official application website as well.
https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/evisa/tvoa.html

sahil7789

Sep 4, 2019
I got my Canadian Passport before a month and I am going to take eVisa from my Canadian Passport. But I have not surrendered Indian Passport yet as I dont have time to get the Surrendered certificate (as it takes 2-3 weeks). So if I show in India my Canadian passport and eVisa on my Canadian passport and keep Indian passport in my pocket then would it be fine ? Or would I face some issue ?

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,
I am Indian citizen, living in Toronto with Canadian PR. My family also has the same status. We applied for Canadian citizenship last year & today we received the citizenship ceremony invitation which is on June 1st week.
My family has to travel to India on June 30th (I will be travelling 3 weeks after), we have no time to get the OCI/Indian visa. To do so, we need to get the Canadian Passport first, surrender the Indian passport & then apply OCI/Indian visa.

I am looking at Consulate Genera Indian website & it says as follows:

“Even after acquiring the Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. However, penalty will be charged if the passport is used after 3 months.”

Does that mean we can travel on Indian passport (along with Canadian passport) as our travel dates (mentioned above) falls under 3 months grace period?

Whats the definition of 3 months grace period? I mean we should be back to Canada with in 3 months? what will happen if we fly with in 3 months but come back to Canada after 3 months? is that be considered with in grace period?
i already asked Consulate Genera India but didn't get any answer, except whatever its on website its correct.

Does anyone face this issue? Can i travel using both Canadian & Indian passport? Whats going to happen at airport when using both passports?
I have an option to reschedule my Canadian ceremony date but little hesitant of doing that.

Thanks in advance for your help....
What had you done finally? I may be in same situation soon.

anurag0071

Star Member
Feb 3, 2015
What had you done finally? I may be in same situation soon.
Hello buddy,

I am similar situation, had booked tickets early January -2022 for travel date in November.

We have got Canadian citizenship in September and applied for passport now the situation is we don't have time to get OCI or tourist visa because they want us to surrender (3-4 weeks) and another minimum of 30 days for evisa processing.

Did you manage to travel and can you please share your experience

Thanks

Divya15

Jan 9, 2016
Singapore
NOC Code......
I got my Canadian Passport before a month and I am going to take eVisa from my Canadian Passport. But I have not surrendered Indian Passport yet as I dont have time to get the Surrendered certificate (as it takes 2-3 weeks). So if I show in India my Canadian passport and eVisa on my Canadian passport and keep Indian passport in my pocket then would it be fine ? Or would I face some issue ?
Hi Sahil,

I am currently in the same situation. I wanted to understand what exactly you did finally.

not sure if anyone can answer my question. I have applied for canadian passport and will be getting it in 2 weeks. I have upcoming travel plan in 3 weeks which i think would be too tight to apply start surrender Indian passport application. Can I travel on my canadian passport and surrender my Indian passport itself in India.

yaml

Star Member
Aug 16, 2022
Hi Sahil,

I am currently in the same situation. I wanted to understand what exactly you did finally.

not sure if anyone can answer my question. I have applied for canadian passport and will be getting it in 2 weeks. I have upcoming travel plan in 3 weeks which i think would be too tight to apply start surrender Indian passport application. Can I travel on my canadian passport and surrender my Indian passport itself in India.
You can apply for India e-Visa, no need to surrender Indian passport for it. You should be able to get that in couple of days. Once you are back in Canada you can surrender Indian Passport.

Reactions: Divya15

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi Sahil,

apply for eVisa after you get the Canadian passport. You do not need to surrender Indian passport for the eVisa application

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
apply for eVisa after you get the Canadian passport. You do not need to surrender Indian passport for the eVisa application
I had a quick question for you. In the section where it says: “Do you currently have a travel document of any other country”, do you put the the details of your INDIAN passport?? (even though you have already acquired Canadian nationality)?? Thank you very much for your response!

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I had a quick question for you. In the section where it says: “Do you currently have a travel document of any other country”, do you put the the details of your INDIAN passport?? (even though you have already acquired Canadian nationality)?? Thank you very much for your response!
You should not include the Indian passport details in there.
Technically Indian citizenship is considered renounced once you acquire foreign citizenship. The GoI allows the cancellation of Indian passport and formal surrender for Indian citizenship upto 3 years
https://eoi.gov.in/eoisearch/MyPrint.php?0834?001/0005

Reactions: 747-captain

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
Reactions: abbas.pasha

systix

Mar 13, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
None
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
##-08-2027
LANDED..........
##-09-2027
had a question ... in the evisa application, it asks for "Have you visited india before". did you reply yes to that? If so, what visa type and visa details did you specify

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
No its for foreign passport holders who have visited India before on a visa
Hi Abbas, 2 questions for you I hope you can help please as you have always provided helpful answers:

1.) In the next question in the evisa application for list of countries visited, should we include India? As I have visited in Indian passport should this be included?
2.) When applying for 5 year evisa, it asks for data of travel in the next 120 days. If we get the evisa but travel after 120 days, would it be a problem?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited: