+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian travel after getting Canadian citizenship

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I need to travel to india on oct and they shut down visa services for india and i just became Canadian citizens can i travel to india please share your experience i m very tense
Can you go to other countries to get the visa?

Rina Arora

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
I have traveled within the grace period without any problems. You show Indian passport on arrival to India and show Canadian passport on exit. On exit from India, if the immigration officer notices that you don't have Indian visa in Canadian passport or OCI he will question how did you enter , at that point you can show Indian passport. Also keep your citizenship certificate and a print out from high commission website stating grace period, just in case. There are many people who have traveled without problems, someone else may also chip in their experience here.
5 years later, I am in the same situation. I have few questions. Will you be able to answer please.

keerthi. rk

Apr 18, 2014
Hi, we are in same situation. My father is in final stages I am Canadian citizen left Canada with India passport and I am unable to book appointment for surrendering Indian passport.

Hello buddy,

I am similar situation, had booked tickets early January -2022 for travel date in November.

We have got Canadian citizenship in September and applied for passport now the situation is we don't have time to get OCI or tourist visa because they want us to surrender (3-4 weeks) and another minimum of 30 days for evisa processing.

Did you manage to travel and can you please share your experience

Thanks

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
Hi, we are in same situation. My father is in final stages I am Canadian citizen left Canada with India passport and I am unable to book appointment for surrendering Indian passport.
Can't we walk in to any RPO with surrender application filled to surrender the passport?

tarsainX

Apr 20, 2023
So whats the final verdict on folks who are unable to travel to India in the absence of OCI / eVisa. My position is:
- Took oath yesterday
- Something urgent has happened, so I need to travel to India
- Do not have a Canadian passport.

Whats my option?
Go on Indian passport and apply Canadian passport in India
OR
Apply for Canadian passport and then travel to India - will not have the Canadian passport on me when I travel.

tarsainX

Apr 20, 2023
Thats a good question. In my case, my passport was already applied for and my brother was going to travel to India in a month. So the plan was he would carry the passport. Of course, he needed an authorization letter from me so that he was legally able to carry my passport.

And yes, you can apply for your Canadian passport in India. But given the diplomatic issue, I was not sure how long it would take from there.

Ktpatel91

May 24, 2018
You should carry all the originals and the copies of the documents that you will submit.
This includes
  • Canadian Passport and Citizenship Certificate
  • Indian Passport
  • Proof of Address
  • Although they dont ask buy some applicants have mentioned they have been asked to show CoPR(which i think is super weird). Why would BLS ask for it when the applicant is a Canadian Citizen lol... but BLS is BLS...
If you are applying along with your spouse/minor, please keep extra copies for each applicant i.e. these folks at the counter may ask for your spouse's copy to be attached along with your application and the other way around...
About COPR please keep it handy, when i opened my bank account my bank manager told me it will be needed when you apply for pension(CPP) or RRSP at the age of 64. So do keep it saved.

Reactions: softwaretesting