+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian travel after getting Canadian citizenship

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi Abbas, 2 questions for you I hope you can help please as you have always provided helpful answers:

1.) In the next question in the evisa application for list of countries visited, should we include India? As I have visited in Indian passport should this be included?
2.) When applying for 5 year evisa, it asks for data of travel in the next 120 days. If we get the evisa but travel after 120 days, would it be a problem?

Thank you for your help!
Do not include India, tbh I would interpret the question as countries visited excluding India
Just mention a tentative travel date within 120 days... I dont think so it should be a problem if you travel after 120 days

Reactions: alexross

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
Do not include India, tbh I would interpret the question as countries visited excluding India
Just mention a tentative travel date within 120 days... I dont think so it should be a problem if you travel after 120 days
Hi Abbas,

Need your help again please. I am going to apply for the Indian Passport Surrender. I see that the checklist only asks for Canadian Citizenship copy. Is it sufficient to take just the copy, or should we take the original citizenship certificate with us? I am applying in person. Thank you!

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi Abbas,

Need your help again please. I am going to apply for the Indian Passport Surrender. I see that the checklist only asks for Canadian Citizenship copy. Is it sufficient to take just the copy, or should we take the original citizenship certificate with us? I am applying in person. Thank you!
You should carry all the originals and the copies of the documents that you will submit.
This includes
  • Canadian Passport and Citizenship Certificate
  • Indian Passport
  • Proof of Address
  • Although they dont ask buy some applicants have mentioned they have been asked to show CoPR(which i think is super weird). Why would BLS ask for it when the applicant is a Canadian Citizen lol... but BLS is BLS...
If you are applying along with your spouse/minor, please keep extra copies for each applicant i.e. these folks at the counter may ask for your spouse's copy to be attached along with your application and the other way around...

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
You should carry all the originals and the copies of the documents that you will submit.
This includes
  • Indian Passport
  • Proof of Address
  • Although they dont ask buy some applicants have mentioned they have been asked to show CoPR(which i think is super weird). Why would BLS ask for it when the applicant is a Canadian Citizen lol... but BLS is BLS...
If you are applying along with your spouse/minor, please keep extra copies for each applicant i.e. these folks at the counter may ask for your spouse's copy to be attached along with your application and the other way around...
Thank you!

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
This includes
  • Indian Passport
  • Proof of Address
Hi Abbas,

Thanks for your help so far. One more question I hope you can help. We applied and received evisas for our family. All the names have the first name and surname reversed in the evisa. For example instead of "Alex Ross", its says "Ross Alex". Do you know if this is normal? Thank you!

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi Abbas,

Thanks for your help so far. One more question I hope you can help. We applied and received evisas for our family. All the names have the first name and surname reversed in the evisa. For example instead of "Alex Ross", its says "Ross Alex". Do you know if this is normal? Thank you!
imho no it should not be an issue

saim123

Sep 23, 2023
I have traveled within the grace period without any problems. You show Indian passport on arrival to India and show Canadian passport on exit. On exit from India, if the immigration officer notices that you don't have Indian visa in Canadian passport or OCI he will question how did you enter , at that point you can show Indian passport. Also keep your citizenship certificate and a print out from high commission website stating grace period, just in case. There are many people who have traveled without problems, someone else may also chip in their experience here.

Hi i am in same situation because india has banned visa to canadians and i will become citizen on sep 23 and have already booked the ticket on oct 31 so can i travel with boyh passports means when i enter india i will show indian and coming back will show canadian... have u done it before or is there any pblm???????

saim123

Sep 23, 2023
Hi All,
I am Indian citizen, living in Toronto with Canadian PR. My family also has the same status. We applied for Canadian citizenship last year & today we received the citizenship ceremony invitation which is on June 1st week.
My family has to travel to India on June 30th (I will be travelling 3 weeks after), we have no time to get the OCI/Indian visa. To do so, we need to get the Canadian Passport first, surrender the Indian passport & then apply OCI/Indian visa.

I am looking at Consulate Genera Indian website & it says as follows:

“Even after acquiring the Canadian citizenship, the Indian passport can be used to travel for 3 months from the day of getting the Canadian citizenship. However, penalty will be charged if the passport is used after 3 months.”

Does that mean we can travel on Indian passport (along with Canadian passport) as our travel dates (mentioned above) falls under 3 months grace period?

Whats the definition of 3 months grace period? I mean we should be back to Canada with in 3 months? what will happen if we fly with in 3 months but come back to Canada after 3 months? is that be considered with in grace period?
i already asked Consulate Genera India but didn't get any answer, except whatever its on website its correct.

Does anyone face this issue? Can i travel using both Canadian & Indian passport? Whats going to happen at airport when using both passports?
I have an option to reschedule my Canadian ceremony date but little hesitant of doing that.

Thanks in advance for your help....

Hi i am in same situation because india has banned visa to canadians and i will become citizen on sep 23 and have already booked the ticket on oct 31 so can i travel with boyh passports means when i enter india i will show indian and coming back will show canadian... have u done it before or is there any pblm???????

Did u traveled like this?

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's very risky. Legally you need exit visa in such cases. & that process takes approx 3 months. Indian govt is already angry at Canadian citizens, so higher chances of issue. I suggest you to postpone oath for now.

saim123

Sep 23, 2023
It's very risky. Legally you need exit visa in such cases. & that process takes approx 3 months. Indian govt is already angry at Canadian citizens, so higher chances of issue. I suggest you to postpone oath for now.
thx

thx for your reply but my oath is today so can i still postpone it??

Bunny2590

Aug 10, 2023
I have traveled within the grace period without any problems. You show Indian passport on arrival to India and show Canadian passport on exit. On exit from India, if the immigration officer notices that you don't have Indian visa in Canadian passport or OCI he will question how did you enter , at that point you can show Indian passport. Also keep your citizenship certificate and a print out from high commission website stating grace period, just in case. There are many people who have traveled without problems, someone else may also chip in their experience here.
I need to travel to india on oct and they shut down visa services for india and i just became Canadian citizens can i travel to india please share your experience i m very tense