+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

Ethen

Apr 12, 2024
Ottawa
hey i went to Surrey BLS on April 10 2024 and they say that they are not accepting application as the fee is not updated for Indian Passport Surrender application process but i saw on their website, its changed to $38.7. i am not sure why they didn't accept my application.

anyone in same boat?
Same situation with BLS Ottawa.They said that they were not accepting any application from April 1st and they have no clarity on when the Surrender services will resume.
Can I (an Ex-Indian/ Indian passport holder) apply for e-Visa since I cant apply for Entry Visa or OCI without the Surrender certificate .

imdsumit

Star Member
Sep 6, 2018
India
Category........
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-09-2019
I am planning to apply for surrender certificate without Canadian passport (its in process, but not received yet).
Also, not seeing any appointment available in Brampton/Mississauga/Toronto, so going to do Postal application.
Questions:
- Can I apply for surrender certificate without Canadian Passport ?
- How many photos I need to send, and do I need to add address and name of photographer behind the photo ?
- What is the total fee and I need to create only one Bank draft for it ?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I am planning to apply for surrender certificate without Canadian passport (its in process, but not received yet).
Also, not seeing any appointment available in Brampton/Mississauga/Toronto, so going to do Postal application.
Questions:
- Can I apply for surrender certificate without Canadian Passport ?
- How many photos I need to send, and do I need to add address and name of photographer behind the photo ?
- What is the total fee and I need to create only one Bank draft for it ?
-You cannot apply for SC without Canadian passport at least in the Toronto jurisdiction
-Follow the requirements As per the checklist for the photographs.
-https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/surrender-of-india-citizenship.php
(Application Fee)

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
It's interesting how the surrendered passport goes to the consulate in one day per tracker, but it's taking so long to come back to BLS.

Still "in transit to BLS" ;)

imdsumit

Star Member
Sep 6, 2018
India
Category........
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-09-2019
-You cannot apply for SC without Canadian passport at least in the Toronto jurisdiction
-Follow the requirements As per the checklist for the photographs.
-https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/surrender-of-india-citizenship.php
(Application Fee)
Thanks for quick reply.

- Is it safe to send Canadian and Indian passports over mail ?
- As per my understanding from the checklist, only one photo 51x51mm is needed. Though they mentioned a digital copy to upload with online form but I didn't find any option in online form for photo upload. So, one physical photo is good enough ?
- The fee mentioned is CAD $117.7 - So a bank draft of this amount is the only payment to be sent in the mail Or any courier/return fee etc need to be included ?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks for quick reply.

- Is it safe to send Canadian and Indian passports over mail ?
- As per my understanding from the checklist, only one photo 51x51mm is needed. Though they mentioned a digital copy to upload with online form but I didn't find any option in online form for photo upload. So, one physical photo is good enough ?
- The fee mentioned is CAD $117.7 - So a bank draft of this amount is the only payment to be sent in the mail Or any courier/return fee etc need to be included ?
Dont send original Canadian issued documents by postal application. Since it is SC application, you will have to send the original Indian passport by mail
There is no Digital copy of photo required for SC

I checked again it seems the new SC fee is not updated on the BLS website. It was reduced from Apr 1, 2024 onwards from $117.7 to $38.7 (SC fee - $34, ICWF/Consular Fee - $3, BLS charges $1.7)

Here is one of the users who posted this https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/indian-passport-surrender.771938/post-10801507

@2017CanadaHo! do you have the link handy of the new fee structure for SC ?

Last edited:

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
Dont send original Canadian issued documents by postal application. Since it is SC application, you will have to send the original Indian passport by mail
There is no Digital copy of photo required for SC

I checked again it seems the new SC fee is not updated on the BLS website. It was reduced from Apr 1, 2024 onwards from $117.7 to $38.7 (SC fee - $34, ICWF/Consular Fee - $3, BLS charges $1.7)

Here is one of the users who posted this https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/indian-passport-surrender.771938/post-10801507

@2017CanadaHo! do you have the link handy of the new fee structure for SC ?
SC fee reduced????? when? it has gone up marginally i think. incidentally the $38.7 fee you are referring to - is for those who became Canadian citizens before 2010. this was the case (fee) earlier too. what am i missing??