+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Has anyone recently applied for surrender certificate without a Canadian passport at BLS Vancouver?
Yes . You don’t need Canadian passport for applying Surrender certificate only for Vancouver consulate. For other consulate, you need one . I confirmed with CGIVancouver .

Reactions: SithLord

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Yes . You don’t need Canadian passport for applying Surrender certificate only for Vancouver consulate. For other consulate, you need one . I confirmed with CGIVancouver .
That's great. So a copy of citizenship certificate should be enough with my application? or should I include a letter with my application as to why I'm not submitting my Canadian passport?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
That's great. So a copy of citizenship certificate should be enough with my application? or should I include a letter with my application as to why I'm not submitting my Canadian passport?
I submitted without passport and i included letter. I got without any issues.

Reactions: SithLord

ThenT

Oct 6, 2023
Hi everyone,

Today, my SC application got returned by BLS. I made a mistake and I hope no one else make this in their application.

When you're filling out the Surrender Certificate online form, make sure ALL THE PARTICULARS EXACTLY MATCHES YOUR INDIAN PASSPORT that you have on hand. I made a mistake on my Parent's surname.

It messed up big time and I had it retuned back. Trust me, they found the mistake on February 7, and I had my form returned today - February 13 with the reason for returning my application form (FYI, Application was picked up on February 1 postal; Received at BLS Brampton office on February 2). I believe someone in this thread also mentioned that BLS even checks the signature in your Indian passport to match the attested forms that you submit. Don't allow BLS to find an excuse to return your application.

It sucks that my mistake cost me 2 weeks of wait & $84. I had to call BLS again, and this time they charged $62 altogether for resubmitting the form by postal.

When I spoke to the BLS Rep over the phone today, he said it'll take 6–8 weeks. Let's see, I'll update when it gets through.
Hi,

I am in the same situation.
Received an email stating that my application is sent back ($62 for courier) due to mismatch of parents name, I think we should not give surname for parents, which add up with their first name and become mismatch from the passport.

Can you help me with details?
1. Do I have to attach photo again on the re do application form?
2. Do I have to make all the documents again? or just corrected application form and check list page only?

TQ

Mum2Can

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020
Hi everyone,

Today, my SC application got returned by BLS. I made a mistake and I hope no one else make this in their application.

When you're filling out the Surrender Certificate online form, make sure ALL THE PARTICULARS EXACTLY MATCHES YOUR INDIAN PASSPORT that you have on hand. I made a mistake on my Parent's surname.

It messed up big time and I had it retuned back. Trust me, they found the mistake on February 7, and I had my form returned today - February 13 with the reason for returning my application form (FYI, Application was picked up on February 1 postal; Received at BLS Brampton office on February 2). I believe someone in this thread also mentioned that BLS even checks the signature in your Indian passport to match the attested forms that you submit. Don't allow BLS to find an excuse to return your application.

It sucks that my mistake cost me 2 weeks of wait & $84. I had to call BLS again, and this time they charged $62 altogether for resubmitting the form by postal.

When I spoke to the BLS Rep over the phone today, he said it'll take 6–8 weeks. Let's see, I'll update when it gets through.
Thanks for this info, on my current indian passport wife name is before marriage.
so while submitting online surrender form should I mention her name before marriage (Anu abc sharma) as per current indian passport or her new legal name after marriage (Anu xyz verma).
please help.

Mum2Can

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020
Hello Friends,
Congrats for Canadian passport !!

We are in also queue to submit passport application, but have some questions so throught putting questions here who already received Canadian Passport.

1. Indian passport place of birth (POB) mentioned as "Village Name, District Name, State Name" so in Canadian Passport application what should go on "place of birth" (for Country field it will be: India and State will be blank, as it is mainly for US and Canada states)
2, US passport (for kids) place of bither (POB) mentioned as "State Name, USA" so in Canadian Passport application what should go on "place of birth" (for Country field it will be: USA and State: NY)
3. How the place of birth get printed on passport - based on "Place of Birth" + "Country" + "State" or only "Place of Birth" mention on passport application?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello Friends,
Congrats for Canadian passport !!

We are in also queue to submit passport application, but have some questions so throught putting questions here who already received Canadian Passport.

1. Indian passport place of birth (POB) mentioned as "Village Name, District Name, State Name" so in Canadian Passport application what should go on "place of birth" (for Country field it will be: India and State will be blank, as it is mainly for US and Canada states)
2, US passport (for kids) place of bither (POB) mentioned as "State Name, USA" so in Canadian Passport application what should go on "place of birth" (for Country field it will be: USA and State: NY)
3. How the place of birth get printed on passport - based on "Place of Birth" + "Country" + "State" or only "Place of Birth" mention on passport application?
Use this sample form as a template https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/Surrender-Sample-form-with-common-errors.pdf

Mum2Can

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks for your reply. The sample template is for surrender application, I was looking guidance/help for Canada passport application around what to put in Place of birth.
For adult's Canadian passport application f I remember it correctly they went by the information we mentioned in the form e.g. Mumbai or New Delhi etc.
PoB in my Indian Passport was mentioned as Mumbai MS, but I only wrote Mumbai as PoB in Passport Application form

For minor's Canadian passport application they are ask for the original (if submitting in person) to be provided for them to check the Place of Birth.
In the minor's application form we submitted it had birth certificate issued by Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), and all through out the certificate it was mentioned either Delhi or South Delhi. But in the passport application we mentioned New Delhi, so the Passport Canada said they cannot mention New Delhi but instead they will mention Delhi only as per the MCD issued certificate. Although we pushed back on it saying in the citizenship application form we mentioned New Delhi, but it was politely declined that it does not matter what you wrote at the time of submitting your citizenship application form, it was owned by IRCC now you have to deal with Passport Canada :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Mum2Can

Mum2Can

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020
For adult's Canadian passport application f I remember it correctly they went by the information we mentioned in the form e.g. Mumbai or New Delhi etc.
PoB in my Indian Passport was mentioned as Mumbai MS, but I only wrote Mumbai as PoB in Passport Application form

For minor's Canadian passport application they are ask for the original (if submitting in person) to be provided for them to check the Place of Birth.
In the minor's application form we submitted it had birth certificate issued by Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), and all through out the certificate it was mentioned either Delhi or South Delhi. But in the passport application we mentioned New Delhi, so the Passport Canada said they cannot mention New Delhi but instead they will mention Delhi only as per the MCD issued certificate. Although we pushed back on it saying in the citizenship application form we mentioned New Delhi, but it was politely declined that it does not matter what you wrote at the time of submitting your citizenship application form, it was owned by IRCC now you have to deal with Passport Canada :D
Thanks for detailed response. I hope your POB in Canadian Passport printed as "Mumbai, IND" (Place of birth and Country from Canada Passport application)

Now good for adult application, for kids if they are going to verify there US birth certificate then I have to update POB with Town name instead of state name, as they will decline with state name even it is on there US passport .

Surrender application: Verified sample form of errors (but it was blank for spouse name) and SURRENDER-FORM-FILLING-INSTRUCTIONS document it says "All names on the application form must be mentioned exactly as per Indian Passport." so not sure hence below question:
- While submitting online surrender form should I mention spouse name before marriage (Anu abc sharma) as per current indian passport or her new legal name after marriage (Anu xyz verma).

could you please help here?.