+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi everyone,
I am about to start my surrender and OCI applications I have few doubts,can someone please help

1. Can we apply for surrender and OCI together?
2. Is Canadian passport original mandatory for OCI application
3. Can we walk-in to bls even if we don't have appointment
Thanks in advance
1. No, Surrender first then OCI.
2. You would need self attested copy for OCI.
3. Yes. Limited availability and you may have to stand in line early in the morning to get a slot.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi everyone,
I am about to start my surrender and OCI applications I have few doubts,can someone please help

1. Can we apply for surrender and OCI together?
2. Is Canadian passport original mandatory for OCI application
3. Can we walk-in to bls even if we don't have appointment
Thanks in advance
- You cannot apply for SC and OCI together. SC first and then once you receive the SC and canceled Indian passport back you can apply for OCI
- Depends how are you planning to submit. If it is in person you will need to carry all originals including, Indian and Canadian passports, Surrender and Citizenship Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Address Proof etc as per the check list for verification. As part of the application submission the self attested copies of the supporting documents as per the checklist are required to be included in your application to BLS. The same supporting documents you upload on the OCI website does not need to be self attested
If you are submitting via postal route you do not need to include any originals, but other steps are the same
- You can walk in but be prepared to go very early before the BLS center opens (at 8:00am)

raman8310

Dec 13, 2012
Hello All
I want to apply for surrender certificate for me and my daughter and I have below queries

1. My daughter is 6 year so she is required to go with me for surrender certificate at bls?
2. Should I click the photos from outside with correct specification or should I click it from BLS Brampton? I heard BLS does not except photos clicked outside even if it is correct. My concern is that if my daughter is not required to go with me for surrender certificate then I have to take her also and there is huge line up at BLS center since early morning .
Please suggest

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello All
I want to apply for surrender certificate for me and my daughter and I have below queries

1. My daughter is 6 year so she is required to go with me for surrender certificate at bls?
2. Should I click the photos from outside with correct specification or should I click it from BLS Brampton? I heard BLS does not except photos clicked outside even if it is correct. My concern is that if my daughter is not required to go with me for surrender certificate then I have to take her also and there is huge line up at BLS center since early morning .
Please suggest
So technically one person can go and submit on behalf of the family but only if they have appointments for each member of the family . So she does not have to go
But But ..
If you are planning to get the photos clicked at BLS in that case they both will have to go.
Also invariably if a signature here or there is required on the form if they are going at the time of submission then them being present becomes handy

Better to get them clicked at BLS

Reactions: raman8310

Jasbir879

Mar 31, 2024
Hi All,

I am about start my surrender certificate. I don't see any appointment dates available for Brampton so I am thinking of sending my application through post.
1) what are the steps to send an application? Do I need to include a return envelope or I simply send my application with my documents?
2)I do not want my application sent back. What are the things that I should be careful about ?
3)For DD, What is the total amount ?

raman8310

Dec 13, 2012
Hi All,

I am about start my surrender certificate. I don't see any appointment dates available for Brampton so I am thinking of sending my application through post.
1) what are the steps to send an application? Do I need to include a return envelope or I simply send my application with my documents?
2)I do not want my application sent back. What are the things that I should be careful about ?
I heard many cases of BLS or courier company lose original documents ..just do through check and review before going this route

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi All,

Call BLS to book your pick up and drop off courier appointment. The online link does not work. When you speak to them they can guide you about the payment

Vptl

Star Member
Jun 4, 2021
Just in case anyone needs it, lots of April appointment slots are available for passport and OCI services at BLS Brampton/Mississauga/Toronto.

Reactions: fallcolours

fallcolours

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
Just in case anyone needs it, lots of April appointment slots are available for passport and OCI services at BLS Brampton/Mississauga/Toronto.
You are right, there are tons of appointments available.
Could it be an April Fools joke by BLS? ;)

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
A friend of mine went today to BLS Mississauga today. He got his Canadian Citizenship and Passport only few weeks ago.
He mentioned that from today SC fee has been reduced to $34
Although I do not see any update on the fee on BLS website

Can someone who went today to BLS for surrender confirm this ?

Last edited:
Reactions: adstarscream732

SruthiT

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
I went for passport surrender last week in Brampton. Today, when I tried to track my application on BLS site, my delivery address shows incorrect postal code. I re-checked my application and I correctly mentioned the postal code. How can I correct this please?

SruthiT

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
A friend of mine went today to BLS Mississauga today. He got his Canadian Citizenship and Passport only few weeks ago.
He mentioned the SC fee has been reduced to $34

I went last week and my surrender fee was around $125.

Zay11

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
He mentioned that from today SC fee has been reduced to $34

I applied SC last week and the charge was - 123 for processing + delivery charge

Zay11

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
what's the current timeline to receive the SC in hand ; if we are applying through walk-in or in person at the center and availed delivery service ( as pick up not available ) ? Is it 2 weeks to get SC delivered to home ?