+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
I made two drafts of $123.70

booked two pick-ups (call Purolator and follow instructions as provided by BLS when you book pick-up)
booked two drop-offs blindly (no idea what to do with them, hoping that they will send it back when done somehow, maybe they could see it with the passport number NO IDEA)

Sent two applications in different individual packages

fingers crossed

lol
Call purolator?
Can you please tell what instructions were provided by BLS?

B.T

Jun 13, 2021
Hello! Has anyone recently submitted Surrender application to Ottawa via walk-in? How is the wait time? If we walk-in do they give option to drop off or it has to be pickup only? What is the processing time? 8 weeks?

I couldn't find the postal link so I guess I'll just walk in.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello! Has anyone recently submitted Surrender application to Ottawa via walk-in? How is the wait time? If we walk-in do they give option to drop off or it has to be pickup only? What is the processing time? 8 weeks?

I couldn't find the postal link so I guess I'll just walk in.
Ottawa wait time have never been crazy. You can ask for pickup or drop off. They give you both option. 6 - 10 weeks it takes.

Reactions: B.T

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello Everyone,

My wife recently had a baby. She cannot travel to surrender her Indian passport. Can I go on her behalf?
It should work. As an additional measure take a letter of authorization. There is no specific format for it.
Be prepared for multiple trips if they not satisfied with the documents.

rohidw

Nov 2, 2017
Hello,

What is the current processing times for Surrender certificate for VC jurisdiction.. I applied on Dec 15th still waiting. Further more to add, I have tried logging into the Embassy portal status seems to unchanged since last 2 weeks :

Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello,

What is the current processing times for Surrender certificate for VC jurisdiction.. I applied on Dec 15th still waiting. Further more to add, I have tried logging into the Embassy portal status seems to unchanged since last 2 weeks :

Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate
They have slowed for OCI, looks like similar thing happening for Surrender. 6-8 weeks would be the processing time you should look forward to.

coolak2007

Star Member
May 22, 2021
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
04-12-2020
AOR Received.
15-09-2020
Just FYI - on eVisa and SC: We got the following reply from eVISA India team:

Dear Applicant,

Prior to submitting an application for an e-Visa, it is mandatory to initiate the process of "renouncing Indian citizenship."

Regards
e-Visa support Team

To: "e-TV Support Team" <indian-evisa@gov.in>
Sent: Saturday, January 6, 2024 1:56:07 AM
Subject: Fwd: OCI and SC Query

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Just FYI - on eVisa and SC: We got the following reply from eVISA India team:

Dear Applicant,

Prior to submitting an application for an e-Visa, it is mandatory to initiate the process of "renouncing Indian citizenship."

Regards
e-Visa support Team

To: "e-TV Support Team" <indian-evisa@gov.in>
Sent: Saturday, January 6, 2024 1:56:07 AM
Subject: Fwd: OCI and SC Query
What was your question sent to them?
Your subject was oci and sc query but you are telling about e-visa..

coolak2007

Star Member
May 22, 2021
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
04-12-2020
AOR Received.
15-09-2020
What was your question sent to them?
Your subject was oci and sc query but you are telling about e-visa..
Question was:

Could you let me know if traveling to India on e-VISA without having obtained the Surrender Certificate first, is allowed?

I am in Canada and have acquired Canadian citizenship and would like to apply and request an OCI and Surrender Certificate (SC). Considering the wait times for processing, I was thinking to parallelly apply for India e-VISA for a family visit, and also Apply for a Surrender Certificate (which is an e-requisite for OCI)?

I was thinking of traveling to India on e-VISA while the Surrender Certificate is in progress and once I am back in Toronto after the Trip to India on e-Visa, I wanted to start the Fresh OCI application process upon getting the Surrender Certificate.

Could you please let me know?
Thanks

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Question was:

Could you let me know if traveling to India on e-VISA without having obtained the Surrender Certificate first, is allowed?

I am in Canada and have acquired Canadian citizenship and would like to apply and request an OCI and Surrender Certificate (SC). Considering the wait times for processing, I was thinking to parallelly apply for India e-VISA for a family visit, and also Apply for a Surrender Certificate (which is an e-requisite for OCI)?

I was thinking of traveling to India on e-VISA while the Surrender Certificate is in progress and once I am back in Toronto after the Trip to India on e-Visa, I wanted to start the Fresh OCI application process upon getting the Surrender Certificate.

Could you please let me know?
Thanks
They gave you the safest answer. Evisa is available to all Canadian citizens even though they may or may not be of Indian origin. At port of entry they cannot keep asking everyone do you have Indian passport and did you surrender it. If it was mandatory they would have made it a prerequisite for the visa. For e.g. Entry visa has SC as a prerequisite.

Reactions: coolak2007

doogie88

Jun 18, 2018
New Delhi
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
21-09-2018
IELTS Request
30-06-2018
Hey guys I am trying to arrange a pick up for Surender passport but I am not able to got through the booking page on BLS website ? Any way around this ? I do not want to walk in and would prefer by postal

Reactions: desmat