+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

ankurbhatia17

Star Member
Jun 26, 2018
Guys, I had randomly booked an appointment for OCI card for 29th dec morning at Ottawa BLS. Till today morning my status was processing at high commission. But I just checked and it changed to ready for collection. The pick up time is 3-4.30pm. Do you guys think I should take chance and go prepared tomorrow morning and request them to give me surrender certificate in the morning itself which I can attach with the application. Please suggest
I doubt they would entertain your request, they usually don’t do that. I have had this experience in the past and saw something similar happening with a guy during my last visit to BLS. Still there is no harm, you never know you might get lucky.
Side question- When did you apply for SC? Mind sharing timeline

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Guys, I had randomly booked an appointment for OCI card for 29th dec morning at Ottawa BLS. Till today morning my surrender certificate status was processing at high commission. But I just checked and it changed to ready for collection. The pick up time is 3-4.30pm. Do you guys think I should take chance and go prepared tomorrow morning and request them to give me surrender certificate in the morning itself which I can attach with the application. Please suggest
Morning the counter is busy collecting new applications. They will not entertain it. 3-4.30 pm they usually have it all ready to give. Better to go at the scheduled time.

tejaspan

Star Member
Feb 6, 2019
Do we need to send original Canadian passport for verification or just the copy?

In the checklist it says: (e) Canadian/Foreign passport* (Copy)

But in the (e) section it says:

"Please enclose photo page of your Canadian / Foreign Passport having photographs and details of your passport. Original Passport is required to be submitted for verification, it will be returned back after verification. Copies must be self-attested (signed) by the applicant."

I'm confused now.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Do we need to send original Canadian passport for verification or just the copy?

In the checklist it says: (e) Canadian/Foreign passport* (Copy)

But in the (e) section it says:

"Please enclose photo page of your Canadian / Foreign Passport having photographs and details of your passport. Original Passport is required to be submitted for verification, it will be returned back after verification. Copies must be self-attested (signed) by the applicant."

I'm confused now.
If you doing postal no need to send original. Attested copy is enough. If you going in-person they check and return it.

Reactions: tejaspan

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
Hi Guys

While applying Surrender certificate online in MEA portal, my last indian passport was issued in Toronto.

As I understand, Montreal J zip codes come under high commission Ottawa.

When I completed the form on MEA and looked at PDF, it says Consulate general of toronto on top instead of High Commission of India, Ottawa.

Is this right what I am seeing and there would be no issues?

sam2326

Apr 30, 2020
Hi Guys

While applying Surrender certificate online in MEA portal, my last indian passport was issued in Toronto.

As I understand, Montreal J zip codes come under high commission Ottawa.

When I completed the form on MEA and looked at PDF, it says Consulate general of toronto on top instead of High Commission of India, Ottawa.

Is this right what I am seeing and there would be no issues?
No… you need to create a new profile under the new high commission and then submit the form. They will reject the application if you don’t change

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
No… you need to create a new profile under the new high commission and then submit the form. They will reject the application if you don’t change
How do I change?
In MEA website when I login, it doesn't say to choose consulate city. Only Canada as a country can be chosen.