AOR Received.
21-12-2018
Passport Req..
24-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
LANDED..........
19-09-2019
Passport was never optional. You could show the receipt, that you applied for passport. Now that is not allowed and they need passport too.
The online form for the surrender certificate does not have a mandatory field for a Canadian passport number. The VFS Global that submits applications for the renunciation of Indian citizenship in the USA does not have a US passport/foreign passport listed as a mandatory document. The Canadian passport is optional for SC from CGI. BLS has many discrepancies in its checklist and this is one of them.
Please check this FAQ on the CGI Toronto: the list of documents to be submitted says: Canadian passport, if held

Last edited:

ish2110

Apr 5, 2019
Ottawa
Visa Office......
Niagra
App. Filed.......
21-12-2018
Nomination.....
31-10-2018
AOR Received.
21-12-2018
Passport Req..
24-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
LANDED..........
19-09-2019
Hi, I will be submitting surrender certificate application next week in Ottawa. Do we need Canadian passport as well or just the citizenship certificate is enough to apply.

Can you please confirm. Thanks
I am submitting an SC application as well in BLS Ottawa without a Canadian passport. I am planning to mention the online SC form where the foreign passport number is not a mandatory field as a reason for not submitting a Canadian passport.
Please check this FAQ on the CGI toronto: the list of documents to be submitted says : Canadian passport , if held
Since you are applying from Ottawa like me: here is the link for High commision of India, Ottawa

Last edited:

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
The online form for the surrender certificate does not have a mandatory field for a Canadian passport number. The VFS Global that submits applications for the renunciation of Indian citizenship in the USA does not have a US passport/foreign passport listed as a mandatory document. The Canadian passport is optional for SC from CGI. BLS has many discrepancies in its checklist and this is one of them.
Please check this FAQ on the CGI Toronto: the list of documents to be submitted says: Canadian passport, if held
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ottawa-jurisdiction/pdf/Checklist-and-Information-Booklet-for-Surrender-Certificate.pdf

Did you check this?

I hope your logical reasoning works with BLS.

ish2110

Apr 5, 2019
Ottawa
Visa Office......
Niagra
App. Filed.......
21-12-2018
Nomination.....
31-10-2018
AOR Received.
21-12-2018
Passport Req..
24-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
LANDED..........
19-09-2019

VimalSagar

Star Member
Apr 19, 2020
Anybody from Montreal, BLS submitted Indian passport for Surrender in OCT 2023 & printed ?
Please share your nearby timeline to understand current processing time ?

thanks everyone !

Noctis7

Nov 4, 2023
Yes, I did. I am posting my application on Monday without Canadian passport with the reference to high commission of India's FAQ printout. I will update here, once I submit, how logical/illogical BLS is ☺
Do update how it goes, BLS has rejected a lot of things for technically non-mandatory sections of the applications. Goes for SC/Visa/OCI.

Reactions: ish2110

AryanDastaan

Nov 2, 2023
Hi, I will be submitting surrender certificate application next week in Ottawa. Do we need Canadian passport as well or just the citizenship certificate is enough to apply. Thanks
If you have Canadian Passport, a copy of it.
If you dont have Canadian Passport, just write a letter stating that your canadian passport is in process. I also mentioned the delays of SC and further processing time of OCI so overall saves time. submitting copy of your citizenship certificate in enough. I also submitted copy of COPR as it stated on embassy's checklist.

AryanDastaan

Nov 2, 2023
Anybody from Montreal, BLS submitted Indian passport for Surrender in OCT 2023 & printed ?
Please share your nearby timeline to understand current processing time ?

thanks everyone !
I mailed in from Montreal, don't know if its the same as walk-in montreal office. I mailed-in 28th Sept. Started processing 3rd Oct. No update until today.

Reactions: VimalSagar

AryanDastaan

Nov 2, 2023

niks2102

Star Member
Nov 14, 2019
Pretty generic email from info@blsindia-canada.com

Your PASSPORT application with airway bill no xxxxxx has received at our BLS Center.
During this Pandemic and Provincial lock-down, postal application processing time at BLS Quarantined Postal Hub at Brampton/ Surrey/ Ottawa is 3 - 5 business days to process and send the application to Consulate for their decisioning process. The time taken at Consulate would depend on the category / merit of your application. You are required to submit your application duly filled up along with document checklist as mentioned on BLS website. Incomplete or Erroneous applications would be returned back, to you
hi any update for you?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Not true.
https://www.hciottawa.gov.in/pages?id=4&subid=37&nextid=93

See point. 3 I submitted without passport, called BLS to verify if I can do this. They said Yes. Wrote a letter to BLS stating Passport is in process and to save time I am submitting SC application with Citizenship Certificate and COPR. They accepted the application and its in process now.
Before the visa ban they were not allowing this. I already mentioned that it was allowed before - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/posts/10658103/

Good to know that they have gone back to accepting receipt which would help to get SC faster.

Ramamfm

Aug 26, 2021
Not true.
https://www.hciottawa.gov.in/pages?id=4&subid=37&nextid=93

See point. 3 I submitted without passport, called BLS to verify if I can do this. They said Yes. Wrote a letter to BLS stating Passport is in process and to save time I am submitting SC application with Citizenship Certificate and COPR. They accepted the application and its in process now.
-in which BLS office, I heard Brampton office don’t accept SC application without Canadian Passport.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
-in which BLS office, I heard Brampton office don’t accept SC application without Canadian Passport.
BLS does not have consistent rules, so you should be ready to fight it out with printout of rules from HCI, MEA and all.
If you don't have energy for all this get a passport.