+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019

ankurbhatia17

Star Member
Jun 26, 2018
I have my Oath scheduled on Nov 8th and planning to get Passport asap, most likely using urgent or express pickup. I will be travelling to India for indefinite period. Is it possible to apply for entry visa for now and apply for OCI while in India?

Noctis7

Nov 4, 2023
I have my Oath scheduled on Nov 8th and planning to get Passport asap, most likely using urgent or express pickup. I will be travelling to India for indefinite period. Is it possible to apply for entry visa for now and apply for OCI while in India?
Once you have the Canadian passport, you can surrender your Indian passport and use the receipt to apply for entry visa. Previously this could be done simultaneously, but you can verify that with bls or someone else here who did so recently.

ankurbhatia17

Star Member
Jun 26, 2018
Once you have the Canadian passport, you can surrender your Indian passport and use the receipt to apply for entry visa. Previously this could be done simultaneously, but you can verify that with bls or someone else here who did so recently.
And what about the OCI? Is it possible to apply for it while in India?

Noctis7

Nov 4, 2023
And what about the OCI? Is it possible to apply for it while in India?
According to the govt site you can do so after becoming a resident i.e. being in India for a continuous period of 6 months. However I do not personally know of anyone who got OCI from India.