+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi Friends,

Thank you all for the informative posts and updates. I have 3 questions which am hoping can be answered here as well.

I and my wife have separate appointments tomorrow 11/03 at Brampton BLS for a walk in application. I will be carrying cash of $129.40 per head . I will have extra cash in case they play tricks on document printing and photos. My question is on the collection of the surrender certificate and cancelled Indian passport.

- Can I pick these up after 3 /4 weeks from Brampton BLS for both myself and my wife ?

-or is this not an option at all ?

- If courier service needs to be paid for what does that cost ?
- Pay by Debit card. if you are paying in cash they ask for exact amount.
- You can ask for in person collection but mindful the BLS will pitch for their value added services called delivery by courier. You can counter that by saying, you moving residence and only option for you is in person collection. Collection will depend once SC is printed (check on the passport seva website and status is changed on the BLS website ready for collection
- Charges are about $25 to $30 for return courier per application via Purolator

Things to watch out for:
- Photograph, BLS likely is going to ask you to get the photo's clicked at BLS. I believe they charge around $15 per applicant and provide 2 photographs (hard copy), they will not provide soft copy of the photographs. You can use one photo for SC application and retain the other one for OCI application
- They may highlight mistakes in the application form and offer the value added service to fill up the application form and may charge you $70 per application

Read an applicant's recent experience when he submitted his OCI https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10655951

Last edited:
Reactions: IG2020

IG2020

Star Member
Mar 27, 2020
Depends on the option you chose, pickup or delivery.
So delivery means that BLS will send the cert and passport through courier ?
And pickup means that we can go and get the cert and passport ourselves ?
Are both these options paid for and where do I get the cost details in BLS .

thank you in advance for taking the time to respond

IG2020

Star Member
Mar 27, 2020
- Pay by Debit card. if you are paying in cash they ask for exact amount.
- You can ask for in person collection but mindful the BLS will pitch for their value added services called delivery by courier. You can counter that by saying, you moving residence and only option for you is in person collection. Collection will depend once SC is printed (check on the passport seva website and status is changed on the BLS website ready for collection
- Charges are about $25 to $30 for return courier per application via Purolator
thank you .. will they charge for in person collection as well ?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
thank you .. will they charge for in person collection as well ?
No they dont but...
Here is what the in person collection looks like:
- collection between 3:00 - 4:30 pm Mon - Fri (you have to be there at least by 2:00 pm to be early in the line up)
- You can collect yours and your spouse's (she has to provide authorization letter) but for minor's document collection they ask for both parents to be present

AryanDastaan

Nov 2, 2023
My first post here, I just discovered this forum. Excellent intel.

I agree 100% they are trying to scam people to get their additional services, and in situations like these where you either cough up 100s of dollars or your travels plans might change, desperate customers will pay and BLS takes advantage of this.

My first experience with them:

For PCC they asked for more documents than required. Like spouses proof of address in India, Parents proof of address in India, and 2 photos instead of 1 mentioned in the checklist. They sent back 1 photo with PCC. Thankfully we carried additional photos so wasn't charged for them but was charged for printouts of various address proofs.

Second case:

I was anticipating surrender certificate to be completed by now, and I booked OCI appointment for 15th Nov. Unfortunately Ottawa jurisdiction is taking 8 weeks, and I most probably wont get it by then.
I called them to check if I can apply for Entry Visa with a letter to state that SC in under review at the Embassy. They said YES. Which is good, but odd as I asked if OCI can be applied simultaneously with SC application they said NO. anyway I said I will do that since it will take 45 days to issue Enrty visa.

I asked them if I can use my 15th Nov appointment for Visa instead of OCI. They said No. They say I will have to cancel the appointment and schedule another appointment for "Visa". It doesn't make any logical sense as the staff take all applications and there is no specific counter for specific applications. Passport, OCI and Visa applications also the equal time slot. Then they pitched the courier service, as an option.

movingon

Nov 1, 2023
When did it say printed? Would take 5 days after that to be ready for collection.
Apologies for the late reply!

I am not sure about the exact date when the status was changed to "SC has been printed" on the passport portal. I rando checked on Friday last week and found the status updated. I again checked today morning and found the same status:
"SC has been printed" on the passport portal
"Processing at the High Commission" on the BLS tracker

I'm not sure if it makes sense to contact BLS Ottawa or just show up there at 2:30pm today?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Apologies for the late reply!

I am not sure about the exact date when the status was changed to "SC has been printed" on the passport portal. I rando checked on Friday last week and found the status updated. I again checked today morning and found the same status:
"SC has been printed" on the passport portal
"Processing at the High Commission" on the BLS tracker

I'm not sure if it makes sense to contact BLS Ottawa or just show up there at 2:30pm today?
It won't be available till it changes first to "In Transit from High Commission to BLS Centre" and then "Ready for Collection" in BLS Tracker.

Reactions: movingon