+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

GTAIndian

Jul 24, 2022
Check the status on the Passport Seva portal https://portal6.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html under which you created the surrender application.
That will provide you the status if certificate has been approved/issued/printed etc.
Yeah, that was the status from passport seva portal. I emailed consulate last night and now it is changed to "Surrender certificate has been printed" in the passport seva portal.

Dec2014NY

Dec 2, 2014
Folks finally received my SC today (submitted on 16th March) - received it around 11 AM. Submitted OCI application by around 12:40 :). Just went to Brampton BLS to check the line and how busy it will be - luckily there wasn't any queue for walkin. Thanks much folks for your suggestions and spl appreciation to Abbas bhai

Reactions: abbas.pasha

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Hi All,
I recently got my CA passports for self and family. Watched videos on the SC process.
I have one question.
For getting a surrender certificate, we can send the forms via courier or in person drop off at BLS. I understand for multiple family members BLS requires one appointment slot for each family member. Sometime I read in the forums that you can take appointment of any kind (Passport/ Visa/ OCI) it doesn't matter. Appointment is required to just clear the security guard who lets you in. Once you're inside then even if you have appointment for OCI you can still get in the line for Surrender certificate. My question is - is this still valid?

Currently no appointment slots available for "Passport" or "OCI" but for "Visa" slots are available - Any idea if I can use the "Visa" type appointment for Surrender certificate?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi All,
I recently got my CA passports for self and family. Watched videos on the SC process.
I have one question.
For getting a surrender certificate, we can send the forms via courier or in person drop off at BLS. I understand for multiple family members BLS requires one appointment slot for each family member. Sometime I read in the forums that you can take appointment of any kind (Passport/ Visa/ OCI) it doesn't matter. Appointment is required to just clear the security guard who lets you in. Once you're inside then even if you have appointment for OCI you can still get in the line for Surrender certificate. My question is - is this still valid?

Currently no appointment slots available for "Passport" or "OCI" but for "Visa" slots are available - Any idea if I can use the "Visa" type appointment for Surrender certificate?
Yeah you can it should work

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Folks finally received my SC today (submitted on 16th March) - received it around 11 AM. Submitted OCI application by around 12:40 :). Just went to Brampton BLS to check the line and how busy it will be - luckily there wasn't any queue for walkin. Thanks much folks for your suggestions and spl appreciation to Abbas bhai
Bhai tu measuring tape leke gaya tha ke nahi. To naapo da line :p

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
How much cash should I carry for Passport Surrender?
Single applicant, Will submit application in-person and receive SC by courier.

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Yeah you can it should work
Thanks, Can you also confirm - if I can choose to pick up the SC in person? I don't think I need to take appointment for collecting the SC right? Once it says ready for collection I can go and collect it?
I have 3 SCs to collect, they can all come at different times. So is there a time limit or window that BLS gives for the SC to be collected from the day the status changes to "Ready for collection"?

Can I, the father, submit the applications for self, wife and son in person and also can I collect everyone's SC once it is ready? Or does every individual need to come individually in person?

Thanks,

Last edited:

sumitbajaj07

Nov 23, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
good to see your others are also on the way.

i'll start (restart) my applications tonight. ingredients ready for OCI makhani, will start making the dish tonight n then serve in BLS masterchef.
Thanks. When you are planning to go and submit OCI ? also for kids do I need to get any paper or certificate from peel ?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks, Can you also confirm - if I can choose to pick up the SC in person? I don't think I need to take appointment for collecting the SC right? Once it says ready for collection I can go and collect it?
I have 3 SCs to collect, they can all come at different times. So is there a time limit or window that BLS gives for the SC to be collected from the day the status changes to "Ready for collection"?

Can I, the father, submit the applications for self, wife and son in person and also can I collect everyone's SC once it is ready? Or does every individual need to come individually in person?

Thanks,
If you opt for Brampton! they are flexible about the SC collection in person but you should be creative here and tell them in a month you will shifting your house and do not want receive the passport and certificate by courier.
Brampton will say maybe you have to come multiple times for since SC may not come for all family members at the same time (which is true) but you can plan your trip once every body’s SC is ready for collection. It’s days a few days in between nothing drastic
Toronto will not allow that at all, they slam dunk the courier
Collection time is between 3:00-4:30 only Mon to Fri. You may need to be there by 1:45-2:00 to be first in the queue
You can submit for yourself and all family members but collection ke time both parents have to be present to collect the kids SC (weird rules)

Last edited:
Reactions: OldH1B

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
If you to Brampton they are flexible about SC collection in person but you should be creative here and tell them in a month you will shifting your house and do not want receive the passport and certificate by courier.
Brampton will say maybe you have to come multiple times for since SC may not come for all family members at the same time (which is true) but you can plan your trip once every body’s SC is ready for collection. It’s days a few days in between nothing drastic
Toronto will not allow that at all, they slam dunk the courier
Collection time is between 3:00-4:30 only Mon to Fri. You may need to be there by 1:45-2:00to be first in the queue
You can submit for yourself and all family members but collection ke time both parents have to be present to collect the kids SC (weird rules)
Just one follow up question - is there a time limit from the date the SC is ready for collection, that the SC must be collected in XYZ number of days ?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Just one follow up question - is there a time limit from the date the SC is ready for collection, that the SC must be collected in XYZ number of days ?
I haven’t heard about a limit about it.
My wife’s SC was marked “Ready for Collection “ first, my daughter’s and my SC was marked “Ready for Collection “ after a week, we only went to collect the SC, a week after these updates

Last edited:
Reactions: OldH1B