+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Dang, surrender certificate turned out to be a folder paper, wasn't even laminated. Anyways, here is the timeline

Dec 8th - BLS Brampton Walk-in
Dec 9th - Processing at Consulate General (BLS)
Dec 14th - Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate (Passport Seva)
Dec 24th - Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance. (Passport Seva)
Dec 28th - Surrender certificate has been printed. (Passport Seva)
Jan 4th - Ready for Dispatch (BLS)
Jan 4th - Dispatched via Courier (BLS)
Jan 5th - Received certificate
What were you expecting. A machine readable secured document ?
As the ad says itne paise main itna heech milenga :p

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Samoinp

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi, I sent out SC postal application yesterday through Purolator. So where can I track my application - is it BLS or Passport Seva website?

I tried tracking in both but am unable to track my application. If my application was sent yesterday, how long would it take to be able to track my application?
Ek do hafta wait karo then you should first see update on BLS and then see update on passport seva

Reactions: Jetrocker

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I called BLS and they said I should receive an email by Monday or Tuesday that they received my documents properly. Email toh aayega na bhai?
Bidu, I did not submit the application by post so I did not receive the email.
I submitted the surrender application in person at BLS Brampton
I was able to check the status on BLS tracking site the same/next day and it showed that the documents are in transit to Consulate General and couple of days later it showed Under process at Consulate General
Following this I also tracked the status on Passport Seva website

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetrocker

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
Bidu, I did not submit the application by post so I did not receive the email.
I submitted the surrender application in person at BLS Brampton
I was able to check the status on BLS tracking site the same/next day and it showed that the documents are in transit to Consulate General and couple of days later it showed Under process at Consulate General
Following this I also tracked the status on Passport Seva website
when you are apply ?

nrc1978

Sep 10, 2014
Hi,

I am planning to apply for e-visa. Can i can apply for Surrender Indian Passport from India and there by OCI while staying in India, Is it even possible or we have apply for both Surrender Indian passport and OCI from bls-india itself.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi,

I am planning to apply for e-visa. Can i can apply for Surrender Indian Passport from India and there by OCI while staying in India, Is it even possible or we have apply for both Surrender Indian passport and OCI from bls-india itself.
"Can i can apply for Surrender Indian Passport from India" this part of your msg seems confusing..
Since you are applying for e-visa so you are not in India.
If you are not in India how can you surrender your passport from India ?

nrc1978

Sep 10, 2014
"Can i can apply for Surrender Indian Passport from India" this part of your msg seems confusing..
Since you are applying for e-visa so you are not in India.
If you are not in India how can you surrender your passport from India ?
Let me rephrase my question.

I am currently in Canada and awaiting my Canadian Passport. I am planning to apply for e-visa, once receiving and travelling to India and while in India can i submit for Surrender Indian passport and apply for OCI?

Is it possible or the only option to apply for Surrender Indian passport and OCI is only from bls-india ?

nrc1978

Sep 10, 2014

I am currently in Canada and awaiting my Canadian Passport. I am planning to apply for e-visa, once receiving and travelling to India and while in India can i submit for Surrender Indian passport and apply for OCI?

Is it possible or the only option to apply for Surrender Indian passport and OCI is only from bls-india ?
Thanks for your quick response.

Yes, bls-india is the only authority to issue SC and OCI in Canada.
But my question was can i apply for SC and OCI from India after traveling via e-visa.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

I am not sure but you will have to check with CGI https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/consulate-officials/) if you can apply for e-visa without surrendering your Indian citizenship. Look at websites for HCI Ottawa or CGI Vancouver if you are applying through those jurisdictions

Within Canada BLS is the only agency who handles surrender and OCI applications

Last edited:

kjaspreet

Jan 5, 2018
Hi,

I have applied for Passport surrender on 9th Dec 2022. Its been 4 weeks now, but it still shows in transit from BLS to consulate. Anyone with recent surrender application experience - Surrey BLS location.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi,

I have applied for Passport surrender on 9th Dec 2022. Its been 4 weeks now, but it still shows in transit from BLS to consulate. Anyone with recent surrender application experience - Surrey BLS location.
What does the status on Passport Seva website say ?

kjaspreet

Jan 5, 2018
What does the status on Passport Seva website say ?
Under my account it says: "You cannot take any action on this ARN as the same is under processing at the respective Indian Embassy/Consulate. In case of any queries, please refer the website of the corresponding Embassy/Consulate (or the Outsourced Service Provider, if passport services are outsourced). "

and under track status page: it says "Entered Application reference number can not be tracked. "