+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
Hi all! I chose pick up and drop off service and opted in for Photography service but I am unclear on how is this service to be availed? Will the person who comes to pick up the package click the photo or have I just paid for a service for which I need to go to the center any ways (thereby making the whole point of Pick up and drop off service moot) anyone know more about this?
as far as i know / logic goes, photography service is offered in their office. purolator guy is a courier who comes to pick up a sealed pack. i don't think he carries a camera! both services are mutually exclusive and even if the website allows people to select both, we have to be a little cautious as well.

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
Interesting! Walk-in lines for Passport surrender were relatively short...there is a different office for passport and visa - I was in & out within 45 minutes (been there on a Saturday - March 18) - would suggest you to go again tomorrow and try...
@Dec2014NY @ron_ad123 there are no separate walk-in lines or wait downstairs or upstairs in their office for diff types of applications. i've been there thrice as a walk-in between 8am and 11am, and all 3 times it was a few minutes wait before being asked to go upstairs. upstairs in their office, walk-in opportunists like me would be given company by organized n methodical folks who had taken an appointment but still waiting alongside me.

Reactions: ron_ad123

jaydevadhikari

Star Member
Mar 24, 2015
as far as i know / logic goes, photography service is offered in their office. purolator guy is a courier who comes to pick up a sealed pack. i don't think he carries a camera! both services are mutually exclusive and even if the website allows people to select both, we have to be a little cautious as well.
Just so you know, home photography service coupled with courier/pick up is not a new concept. I have seen that a lot in India, so it wasn't too much of a stretch to think that maybe Indian consultate service may have something similar. Yes, it's obvious that Purolator won't come with a camera, but when you are booking the pick up-drop off service, it doesn't say anything about Purolator.

Also, it made zero sense to me to add a service for photography and photocopying on the pickup-drop off page when those services are available only at the center. There are a lot of people who don't stay near Brampton, or even in GTA for that matter. It's like Zara providing a mail in return option and sending you a shipping label so you don't have to come to the store, and then offers a service to print that label by coming into the store.

As you said, should have been more cautious for sure, but the lack of information about the service on the order page OR even AFTER payment is made is deceptive.

Reactions: 2017CanadaHo!

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
Just so you know, home photography service coupled with courier/pick up is not a new concept. I have seen that a lot in India, so it wasn't too much of a stretch to think that maybe Indian consultate service may have something similar. Yes, it's obvious that Purolator won't come with a camera, but when you are booking the pick up-drop off service, it doesn't say anything about Purolator.

Also, it made zero sense to me to add a service for photography and photocopying on the pickup-drop off page when those services are available only at the center. There are a lot of people who don't stay near Brampton, or even in GTA for that matter. It's like Zara providing a mail in return option and sending you a shipping label so you don't have to come to the store, and then offers a service to print that label by coming into the store.

As you said, should have been more cautious for sure, but the lack of information about the service on the order page OR even AFTER payment is made is deceptive.
doorstep facilities that cover far wider services are everywhere in India, a/c opening for instance where the guy would come, do photo n KYC etc. or Amazon or Flipkart or Myntra especially their return logistics are awesome! but having spent close to 5 years in Canada i've come to realize this country lags far behind on so many such customer-centric fronts. and if Canada is behind, BLS HAS TO BE BEHINDER (no such word tho)!! what you encountered is one of the least illogical things you'll find with BLS as you engage with them for more services. their online, phone and in-person services n guidance are incongruent at so many places! more than any other situation, it is with BLS that buyer-beware concept applies, the most! even a BLS person gives some advice or tells some rule, i keep doubting it. cos i know it may not be correct, or others may not follow or interpret their own guidelines identically. trapped bro, kya karein.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaydevadhikari

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019

I was genuinely curious how it works for Surrender and OCI. In case of PCC it was fill the forms and then go to BLS with a hardcopy of the form and they take the pic and you just stick it to the form. With the online form and stuff I am a bit confused. @abbas.pasha - Being an expert on OCI and Surrender Passport any idea how it works? :)

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
@sumitbajaj07 any movement on your SC front?

for me, on BLS tracker it says 'Processing at Consulate General' but on the NRI passport seva portal where we filled the online application, it says this
Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance.

what does this mean? when to expect it? @abbas.pasha .....? tere dar pe sanam chale aaye. tu na aaya, hum chale aaye.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
@sumitbajaj07 any movement on your SC front?

for me, on BLS tracker it says 'Processing at Consulate General' but on the NRI passport seva portal where we filled the online application, it says this
Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance.

what does this mean? when to expect it? @abbas.pasha .....? tere dar pe sanam chale aaye. tu na aaya, hum chale aaye.
Nautanki saala...

Bhai iska matlab jai hain ke.... CGI kaa kaam khatam hua
You and @sumitbajaj07 Check the status from now on BLS website, which should be updating in a few days, ab Lottery kabbhi nikal sakti hain :)

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I was genuinely curious how it works for Surrender and OCI. In case of PCC it was fill the forms and then go to BLS with a hardcopy of the form and they take the pic and you just stick it to the form. With the online form and stuff I am a bit confused. @abbas.pasha - Being an expert on OCI and Surrender Passport any idea how it works? :)
It is similar for Surrender... Do the online form on the NRI passport seva portal. You do not need to upload the photo.
When you go to BLS carry the printout of the form that you filled up, photographs, original documents (for verification) and self attested copies of the document that you will be required to submit.

However, For OCI, there is an extra step.. Once you complete the form on the OCI website:https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome, you are required to upload the photo and signature.. the printable form will be ready to generate after that...
When you go to BLS carry the printout of the form that you filled up, photographs, original documents (for verification) and self attested copies of the document that you will be required to submit.
But BLS being BLS will create issues in the photographs and may force you to take the photographs again... Which has to re-uploaded on the OCI website under "OCI Image Upload/ Re-upload" tab. BLS will only provide hard copies of the photograph that they click, you will have to use your phone to take the digital copy of the photo to upload on the OCI website...

Last edited:

vijayniranjan04

Star Member
Feb 22, 2018
Last edited:

Dec2014NY

Dec 2, 2014
Anyone tried walk-in for OCI @ Brampton recently? Pls share your experience - I will not be able to get the surrender certificate before my scheduled OCI appointment - so walk-in is the only option for me now...lol

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Anyone tried walk-in for OCI @ Brampton recently? Pls share your experience - I will not be able to get the surrender certificate before my scheduled OCI appointment - so walk-in is the only option for me now...lol
My next door neighbour went to Brampton on Fri, 31 Mar. He reached the Brampton office of BLS by 7 am. As per him there about 70-80 people in front of him in the queue. He was there to submit the OCI for his spouse.

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
my passport surrender status changed from "ready for issuance" to "SC has been printed" this morning. given its long weekend, will i get my SC in time for my OCI appointment next friday,14th?

nirm.123

May 26, 2022
Hello,

Can I travel to united states on Canadian passport before surrendering my Indian Passport ? Please advice.