+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

owleroz

Feb 22, 2018
This is what i read on the OCI website: https://ociservices.gov.in/

Foreign nationals cannot apply for OCI in India while on Tourist Visa, Missionary Visa and Mountaineering Visa. Moreover, the foreigner has to be ordinarily resident of India to be eligible to apply for OCI registration in India.
Thank you, @abbas.pasha. Do you know if we can apply for OCI or Indian passport surrender from the US ? US BLS offices are faster for some reason.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thank you, @abbas.pasha. Do you know if we can apply for OCI or Indian passport surrender from the US ? US BLS offices are faster for some reason.
What I understand that VFS handles OCI applications in the US

https://services.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/ind/

I wonder if they will entertain your application incase you do not have a legal status like a work visa etc and residence(address proof) in the US

Last edited:
Reactions: owleroz

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Hi, I submitted my SC application on January 5 through Purolator. When I track my application status on BLS website, it has been saying 'Processing at Consulate General' since around 2 weeks. Does anyone have an idea as to when will there be any progress in my application status?

On Passport Seva website, it's saying 'Entered Application Reference no can not be tracked.'

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
Hi, I submitted my SC application on January 5 through Purolator. When I track my application status on BLS website, it has been saying 'Processing at Consulate General' since around 2 weeks. Does anyone have an idea as to when will there be any progress in my application status?

On Passport Seva website, it's saying 'Entered Application Reference no can not be tracked.'
Hi Satish,

I also submitted my application in person on Jan 14 at BLS Toronto Centre. I am getting the status "Entered Application Reference no can not be tracked." when I am using passport seva without login.

However when I log in to passport seva (and wait for few minutes for existing application to pop up). I am getting the following two statuses

"You cannot take any action on this ARN as the same is under processing at the respective Indian Embassy/Consulate. In case of any queries, please refer the website of the corresponding Embassy/Consulate (or the Outsourced Service Provider, if passport services are outsourced)."

and when I click Track Application Status under this link

"Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate. "

Are you logging into the passport seva website to track the status ? Else I highly recommend logging into the website to check the status like i mentioned above. Can you post your status once you did that ?

Reactions: Jetrocker

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Last edited:
Reactions: aphermix

owleroz

Feb 22, 2018
What I understand that VFS handles OCI applications in the US

https://services.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/ind/

I wonder if they will entertain your application incase you do not have a legal status like a work visa etc and residence(address proof) in the US
Looks like VFS requires a US passport for applications in USA. Their checklist specifically mentions US passport (as the only option)
https://services.vfsglobal.com/one-pager/india/united-states-of-america/oci-services/#new-oci

Thanks for your help.

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Hi Satish,

I also submitted my application in person on Jan 14 at BLS Toronto Centre. I am getting the status "Entered Application Reference no can not be tracked." when I am using passport seva without login.

However when I log in to passport seva (and wait for few minutes for existing application to pop up). I am getting the following two statuses

"You cannot take any action on this ARN as the same is under processing at the respective Indian Embassy/Consulate. In case of any queries, please refer the website of the corresponding Embassy/Consulate (or the Outsourced Service Provider, if passport services are outsourced)."

and when I click Track Application Status under this link

"Surrender certificate is under review at Indian Embassy/Consulate. "

Are you logging into the passport seva website to track the status ? Else I highly recommend logging into the website to check the status like i mentioned above. Can you post your status once you did that ?
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I tried it. So when I log into Passport Seva, I'm getting the same status like you.

But when I dig deeper and click on Track Application Status, I got the message 'Surrender Certificate has been granted and is available for issuance'.

However, on BLS website, it's still showing 'Processing at Consulate General'.

So does anyone know what are the next steps and when should I be expecting my surrender certificate?

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I tried it. So when I log into Passport Seva, I'm getting the same status like you.

But when I dig deeper and click on Track Application Status, I got the message 'Surrender Certificate has been granted and is available for issuance'.

However, on BLS website, it's still showing 'Processing at Consulate General'.

So does anyone know what are the next steps and when should I be expecting my surrender certificate?
Great, seems everything is approved now. I believe in few days your SC will be reaching BLS and then they will send it to you. Your BLS tracker may show the Purolator tracking number at this time. I dont think there is anything you should do other than check the BLS and passport seva websites daily. You can expect certificate to be delivered in approx a week. Please keep us all posted with the updates.

Reactions: Jetrocker

onkar112

Star Member
Apr 5, 2022
Does it take a few weeks for any status to be available at bls site? When i search on tracker with my info, it keeps saying 'no records found'

Lapta

Jul 3, 2015
Anyone submits the application to surrender the Indian citizenship without Canadian passport.
If yes, any additional documents they asked for ?

I thinking to apply for the Canadian passport first and then same day surrender the Indian citizenship.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Reactions: desmat and Lapta

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Great, seems everything is approved now. I believe in few days your SC will be reaching BLS and then they will send it to you. Your BLS tracker may show the Purolator tracking number at this time. I dont think there is anything you should do other than check the BLS and passport seva websites daily. You can expect certificate to be delivered in approx a week. Please keep us all posted with the updates.
Yes for sure, thanks bhai!