+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Passport, Canada Immigration Visa and PR Card related questions

Adbhutha

Mar 19, 2012
Hello,

I am an Indian citizen, My PR is already approved and my passport already contains Canada Visa counterfoil, the expiry date on my visa is the expiry date of passport, i.e., March 2016. So I just need to enter Canada before that time. I am planning to travel to Canada in January 2016, since I don't have a job offer, I would be returning the very next day, but I have couple of questions. Kindly clarify.

1. 6 months Passport expiry: Usually Airlines will have the restriction like the Passport has to be valid for 6 months, so want to know if it will create an issue for me ? Though I have heard that for Canada the passport has to be valid till the intended stay period, I am not 100% sure.
2. Passport renewal invalidates the entry Visa: I initially thought of getting my passport renewed, but when I checked with couple of people, I was told that it would invalidate my visa and then I will have to submit an application to get my Visa counterfoil transferred to the new Passport, so I dropped the plan. Is that really true ?
3. British Airways & Transit Visa: Will get my PR Travel Document after I enter my immigration in Canada ? Because if I have to return via British Airways, i.e., via London (I have round trip tickets with BA), then I have to at least have Canada PR [I heard a valid 2 way ticket for US or Canada is good, but didn't find an official statement, so not sure], otherwise I need to apply for Transit Visa(Is that really true ?). I thought if they provide me PR Travel Document, I can show it to the UK Immigration officials and prevent one more burden of applying for Transit visa. Anyway I am not planning to stay @ London, nor planning to go out over there.
4. PR Card: Once I reach the Immigration, do I need to apply for PR Card ? or I guess I just need to provide a Canadian address and they will automatically courier it. Please confirm. I am planning to ask my friend to courier it to India once he receives it.
5. Never received Child Benefits: My child was born in Canada, we were there for 6 months after it was born, but since we were not Permanent Residents, we didn't get any Child Benefits till now, also I was told that if we leave Canada we will not get the Child benefits even if we are Permanent Residents. Is that really true ?
6. Child Benefits & SIN Card: My wife never worked over there, so she doesn't have SIN card and mine anyway is already expired, so without proper SIN card can we really expect Child benefits ? Since we will have atleast 12hrs time gap, if its something that can be done, then I will go to Service Canada and apply for Canada. Can I really do that without any employment ?
7. Passport Renewal, after getting PR Card: Once I come back to India, I will apply for Passport renewal, but then do I need to update or do I need to do some PR related process ? In other words, will it impact the PR or PR Card in anyway ?
8. Misc: As I said earlier I will have at least 12 hrs gap before returning, so want to know if I need to make sure any other process related task is completed.

Thank you,
Shashank.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Adbhutha said:
Hello,

I am an Indian citizen, My PR is already approved and my passport already contains Canada Visa counterfoil, the expiry date on my visa is the expiry date of passport, i.e., March 2016. So I just need to enter Canada before that time. I am planning to travel to Canada in January 2016, since I don't have a job offer, I would be returning the very next day, but I have couple of questions. Kindly clarify.

1. 6 months Passport expiry: Usually Airlines will have the restriction like the Passport has to be valid for 6 months, so want to know if it will create an issue for me ? Though I have heard that for Canada the passport has to be valid till the intended stay period, I am not 100% sure.

I have heard that it is indeed a problem if your passport is valid for less than 6 months. Airlines might not allow you to board the plane. Yes, you must land either before your medicals expires OR before your current passport expires, whichever comes first. Better check with the airline and/or the airport authorities about this. Also, check with your VO if you can renew your passport and use the visa on your old passport.

2. Passport renewal invalidates the entry Visa: I initially thought of getting my passport renewed, but when I checked with couple of people, I was told that it would invalidate my visa and then I will have to submit an application to get my Visa counterfoil transferred to the new Passport, so I dropped the plan. Is that really true ?

Read answer 1

3. British Airways & Transit Visa: Will get my PR Travel Document after I enter my immigration in Canada ? Because if I have to return via British Airways, i.e., via London (I have round trip tickets with BA), then I have to at least have Canada PR [I heard a valid 2 way ticket for US or Canada is good, but didn't find an official statement, so not sure], otherwise I need to apply for Transit Visa(Is that really true ?). I thought if they provide me PR Travel Document, I can show it to the UK Immigration officials and prevent one more burden of applying for Transit visa. Anyway I am not planning to stay @ London, nor planning to go out over there.

From what I know, as long as you have a valid PR visa (or a PR card) issued by Canada, US, Australia or New Zealand, you DO NOT require a UK transit visa if you are not planning to leave the airport. No issues here.

A one time travel document shall be issued by a Canadian Consulate/Embassy abroad. You do not need this to become transit visa exempt.

4. PR Card: Once I reach the Immigration, do I need to apply for PR Card ? or I guess I just need to provide a Canadian address and they will automatically courier it. Please confirm. I am planning to ask my friend to courier it to India once he receives it.

You just need to provide a Canadian address and your PR card will be dispatched to that address. Yes, your friend can courier it to India once he gets it.

5. Never received Child Benefits: My child was born in Canada, we were there for 6 months after it was born, but since we were not Permanent Residents, we didn't get any Child Benefits till now, also I was told that if we leave Canada we will not get the Child benefits even if we are Permanent Residents. Is that really true ?

"Told" by who? In my opinion, this is very incorrect. All permanent residents residents can apply for child benefits. Please talk to Service Canada (I guess they will be able to help you out better).

6. Child Benefits & SIN Card: My wife never worked over there, so she doesn't have SIN card and mine anyway is already expired, so without proper SIN card can we really expect Child benefits ? Since we will have atleast 12hrs time gap, if its something that can be done, then I will go to Service Canada and apply for Canada. Can I really do that without any employment ?

I think you can "renew" your SIN card at a service Canada center in and around the airport and your wife can apply for one there. It is a fairly simple process and you just need to show your COPR and your passport.

7. Passport Renewal, after getting PR Card: Once I come back to India, I will apply for Passport renewal, but then do I need to update or do I need to do some PR related process ? In other words, will it impact the PR or PR Card in anyway ?

The visa that you were granted was a single-entry visa. Since you have already done your landing, you are a Permanent Resident. You can re-new your passport once you get here and then travel back to Canada with your new passport ALONG with your PR card. No problem!

8. Misc: As I said earlier I will have at least 12 hrs gap before returning, so want to know if I need to make sure any other process related task is completed.

12 hours is a very short duration. Some people stay there for a week and then come back to finish any business that is pending in their country. As far as I know, there is nothing else that you have to do there. Once you provide them with an address for your PR card and you apply for SIN, you are done.

Also, please keep in mind that you must be physically present in Canada for 2.5 years in ANY 5 year period to fulfill your residency obligation and maintain your PR status.

Thank you,
Shashank.

vati

Feb 18, 2015

You should renew the passport and you can have the stamping in old passport. Just you need to show both the passports.

It's risk to travel with passport expiring in 1 month. Double check with airlines,as some they wont allow if passport is expirng in near term.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Adbhutha said:
5/ Poster above is partially wrong.
To qualify for Child Benefits you need

to be considered a resident of Canada: For that you need significant residential ties in Canada (for your case the only way would be to have a house in Canada) OR live in Canada for at least 183 days.

to live with the child: (therefore you cannot meet the criteria above by just living in Canada for 183 days while your family stays in India).

6/ You cannot renew your SIN as it was a temporary SIN number (starting with a 9) however as mentioned above it is very easy and necessary for you to apply for a new one for you and your family when you land to avoid delays for other applications.

7/ No issue there. Once you land you'll just have to wait for the card to be sent but it is not impacted by your passport anymore. Both document will be separate pieces of Identification.

For sending the PR card it is not illegal to send it via courier abroad however there are some risks that are your responsibility (PR card lost, Identity theft, seized for foreign customs, if Canada post for some reason checks it they have instructions to return the card to CIC (therefore if you go ahead, use another courier than Canada Post)).
The processing of your card will also potentially be delayed as CIC review cases of PRs landing for a very short period of time while providing a canadian address:

"However, where there are clear indications that the initial entry into Canada was only of short duration and the client provided a third party address for the purpose of forwarding their initial PR Card outside of Canada, these cases should be flagged with a note indicating that the client is outside Canada"

Adbhutha

Mar 19, 2012
Thanks for all the response. I wrote to High Commission of Canada in India and here is what they emailed me:

This is in response to your recent email enquiry to the Immigration Section of the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi.

Persons travelling to Canada on permanent resident visas for immigration do not require six months' passport validity beyond the date of their travel. This requirement applies only to persons travelling on temporary resident visas (visitors, students and temporary workers).
Also I heard that nowadays they are issuing the PR Card on the spot it seems, I am yet to get a confirmation on it.

As far as the Child Benefits is concerned, I think everybody has a different view about it. But anyways, you have clarified it.

So the only question that I have is, in case if I travel there during the weekend, will the Service Canada be open @ the Airport or do they follow the standard timings Monday to Friday only ?

find_anand

Apr 27, 2013
Adbhutha said:
Thanks for all the response. I wrote to High Commission of Canada in India and here is what they emailed me:

Also I heard that nowadays they are issuing the PR Card on the spot it seems, I am yet to get a confirmation on it.

Wrong Info . It's not immediate. Current waiting time is 52 days , and it will delivered to your canada address

As far as the Child Benefits is concerned, I think everybody has a different view about it. But anyways, you have clarified it.

So the only question that I have is, in case if I travel there during the weekend, will the Service Canada be open @ the Airport or do they follow the standard timings Monday to Friday only ?

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
Adbhutha said:

for child benefit read this
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/cctb/fq_qlfyng-eng.html#q7

Adbhutha

Mar 19, 2012
Thank you! Can anybody answer my below question ? I don't think I can apply for it via mail, because I will need to attach Originals and its highly unsafe. So any option left for me ? Or if I don't apply for SIN right away, instead if I apply for SIN after I get a job offer over there [Getting the PR Card in my hand my take about 6 months, considering the timelines everybody posted], what difference will it make ? or can I do it that way ? Anyway, I don't think I will get Child Tax Benefits.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Adbhutha said:
Thank you! Can anybody answer my below question ? I don't think I can apply for it via mail, because I will need to attach Originals and its highly unsafe. So any option left for me ? Or if I don't apply for SIN right away, instead if I apply for SIN after I get a job offer over there [Getting the PR Card in my hand my take about 6 months, considering the timelines everybody posted], what difference will it make ? or can I do it that way ? Anyway, I don't think I will get Child Tax Benefits.
there is no service Canada at the airport, you would have to go to the service Canada location.

rosticraphel

Star Member
Jul 24, 2013
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2014
Doc's Request.
03-11-2014
AOR Received.
30-04-2014
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-12-2015
My friend landed there last month.. For SIN you will get number at airport only.. That's what he told me. However card will be dispatched to u..

My only worry is will they allow you to hv PR card if you are returning very next day.

Adbhutha

Mar 19, 2012
Thanks for confirming, my friend also told me the same. But I hope my weekend and odd hour landing time will not affect this. Also as per Service Canada website, they have stopped printing SIN Cards.

Regarding the following statement, will it be a problem ? I think we just need to give a Canadian Address and they will send the new card in 40-50 days, I believe.

My only worry is will they allow you to hv PR card if you are returning very next day.

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
My Indian passport will expire in October 2018 , I'm a Canadian PR (applied for Canadian Citizenship) but currently Indian Citizen. If I want to travel to India for any emergency and come back to Canada during this time (May-Oct 2018), Is my passport still valid for to and fro travel or the six months rule apply to India & Canada as well like other countries ? Kindly advice.