+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Incorrect Refusal by CIC

gotyou0000

Aug 22, 2018
My AOR is 22nd Oct (Paid RPRF upfront) and my file got rejected on 10th April (after 5 months n 15+ days) and thought of seeking some advise from you guys... like can this be reopened or what should be my next steps etc.. Any advice would be much appreciated

My WES final summary said
"Bachelor's degree (four years)"

And NOT

"Bachelor's degree (four years) and One year College certificate"

But individually

1) Bachelor's was given equivalency as "Bachelor's degree (four years)"

2) French 1 year Diploma was given equivalency as
One year College Level certificate

I haven't seen anywhere on CIC website that ECA will be applicable only if Summary says so. For eg. If I get 1st degree evaluated from WES and 2nd from iQAS then I can't get a combined summary. So why Summary is that important for them or otherwise.

On my EE Profile - I selected both qualifications individually and ECA done for both was marked as YES with same Ref# and relevant drop down was selected for CANADA equivalency...

FSW - O India

Never ordered GCMS notes.

Called CIC twice in last 1 months and I was told Eligibility has been met.

BELOW IS THE CONTENT WRITTEN ON THE REFUSAL LETTER :-

In your Express Entry profile you indicated that you have acquired ‘two or more post-secondary program
credential AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program
of three years or longer’ (119 CRS points). In support of this, you indicated that you have obtained two
foreign credentials: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Diploma in French from Panjab University in India.
As per your WES (ECA#: 33xxxxxIMM) – Educational Credential Assessment on file, I note that the
Canadian Equivalency Summary for your two declared foreign credentials states a ‘Bachelor’s Degree
(four years)’.
As per your WES (ECA#: 33xxxxxIMM) – Educational Credential Assessment on file, I also note that the
Canadian Equivalency for the foreign credential, Advanced Diploma in French from Panjab University is
described as: ‘Completion of a college-level certificate (one year)’. As per the Ministerial Instructions respecting the Express Entry System, this foreign credential does not constitute to at least a one-year
post-secondary program credential equivalency assessment.

I strongly believe that the rejection is wrong.
I have gone through the Ministerial instructions section for Post Secondary clause. Also what all qualifies for two or more. And the minimum requirements for Advanced Diploma (which is post secondary).

derkdsou

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hi, in order to help you, could you please take screenshots of the WES ECA report as well as the letter you have received from IRCC? You can black out any identifying information, then upload the screenshots on a site like Imgur and post them here as images using the 'image' icon (right next to the smiley icon). There are a few things that strike me as inconsistent since you appear to have passed R10 and A11.2, given you're saying your eligibility was marked 'met' at some point during the process.

Also, what Canadian-equivalent categories did you pick for each of the two qualifications?

And please thank @SithLord for helping to bring this to our attention. I hope we can help.

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
Maybe I can help with the screenshots.

He had sent me this earlier.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pJ2924eKthJMn8ZLA

This is the first time I have seen them reject an application for incorrect foreign credential, even though ECA evaluation has turned out correct. Very strange case!!

Maybe others can shed more light into this.
That's strange! The system calculates the points automatically based on the input in EE Profile.

@gotyou0000 What option did you select for the one year diploma in your ECA details of EE profile?

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Cic does not consider your 1 yr program valid as per the rejection letter. It has nothing to do with the wording on wes.

hitesh0414

Apr 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 December, 2016
AOR Received.
10 December, 2016
Med's Done....
26 November,2016
Passport Req..
10-03-2017
Sad to know about your refusal. But both your educational credentials are assessed by WES as one Bachelor’s degree of four years. So in my personal opinion you can not claim points for two or more certificates/degrees.

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
My AOR is 22nd Oct (Paid RPRF upfront) and my file got rejected on 10th April (after 5 months n 15+ days) and thought of seeking some advise from you guys... like can this be reopened or what should be my next steps etc.. Any advice would be much appreciated

My WES final summary said
"Bachelor's degree (four years)"

And NOT

"Bachelor's degree (four years) and One year College certificate"

But individually

1) Bachelor's was given equivalency as "Bachelor's degree (four years)"

2) French 1 year Diploma was given equivalency as
One year College Level certificate

I haven't seen anywhere on CIC website that ECA will be applicable only if Summary says so. For eg. If I get 1st degree evaluated from WES and 2nd from iQAS then I can't get a combined summary. So why Summary is that important for them or otherwise.

On my EE Profile - I selected both qualifications individually and ECA done for both was marked as YES with same Ref# and relevant drop down was selected for CANADA equivalency...

FSW - O India

Never ordered GCMS notes.

Called CIC twice in last 1 months and I was told Eligibility has been met.

BELOW IS THE CONTENT WRITTEN ON THE REFUSAL LETTER :-

In your Express Entry profile you indicated that you have acquired ‘two or more post-secondary program
credential AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program
of three years or longer’ (119 CRS points). In support of this, you indicated that you have obtained two
foreign credentials: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Diploma in French from Panjab University in India.
As per your WES (ECA#: 33xxxxxIMM) – Educational Credential Assessment on file, I note that the
Canadian Equivalency Summary for your two declared foreign credentials states a ‘Bachelor’s Degree
(four years)’.
As per your WES (ECA#: 33xxxxxIMM) – Educational Credential Assessment on file, I also note that the
Canadian Equivalency for the foreign credential, Advanced Diploma in French from Panjab University is
described as: ‘Completion of a college-level certificate (one year)’. As per the Ministerial Instructions respecting the Express Entry System, this foreign credential does not constitute to at least a one-year
post-secondary program credential equivalency assessment.

I strongly believe that the rejection is wrong.
I have gone through the Ministerial instructions section for Post Secondary clause. Also what all qualifies for two or more. And the minimum requirements for Advanced Diploma (which is post secondary).
Terribly sorry for you buddy....more so because had already cleared eligibility before.Speak to lawyer and get a second opinion on the way forward.

I think the Officer reviewing your case may have been biased with the wording on your second credential - specifically the term 'College-level certificate'. In India, college education leads to graduate degrees, but this is not true in Canada where the term college always refers to pre-secondary and pre-university education. This may have led the officer to not consider it as a post-secondary credential.

gotyou0000

Aug 22, 2018
Sad to know about your refusal. But both your educational credentials are assessed by WES as one Bachelor’s degree of four years. So in my personal opinion you can not claim points for two or more certificates/degrees.
Hi,

I am not sure if WES Summary is even important or a mandate // This is something CIC people are still asking for but nowhere on their Website it is mentioned that Summary is required.
For eg:
If someone gets
Degree 1 evaluated from iQAS as "Bachelor's degree 4 years"
Degree 2 evaluated from WES as "College-Level Certificate (one year)"

He/She can not get the Summary from neither WES nor iQAS. So, will CIC consider this scenario or not?

hitesh0414

Apr 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 December, 2016
AOR Received.
10 December, 2016
Med's Done....
26 November,2016
Passport Req..
10-03-2017
Hi,

I am not sure if WES Summary is even important or a mandate // This is something CIC people are still asking for but nowhere on their Website it is mentioned that Summary is required.
For eg:
If someone gets
Degree 1 evaluated from iQAS as "Bachelor's degree 4 years"
Degree 2 evaluated from WES as "College-Level Certificate (one year)"

He/She can not get the Summary from neither WES nor iQAS. So, will CIC consider this scenario or not?
Yes, thats where the confusion is , that is why I said its my opinion.

But in this case it is evident that overall result for both his credential is declared as one Bachelor’s degree.

gotyou0000

Aug 22, 2018
Yes, thats where the confusion is , that is why I said its my opinion.

But in this case it is evident that overall result for both his credential is declared as one Bachelor’s degree.

This is so contradictory - On the EE profile, they ask to enter qualifications separately with the individual ECA equivalency and system calculates the points. However, when they review the file (after AOR), they require Overall Summary.

amit2410

Nov 26, 2018
Maybe you have to consult a lawyer. This is really odd.
Also please contact WES to clarify their summary statement.
Why does the report say Bachelor's degree only?

Last edited:
Reactions: Olubusayo

derkdsou

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2018
There appears to be a mistake on the part of WES, or IRCC should be asked to explain why the "Completion of a college-level certificate (one year)" does not "constitute to at least a one-year post-secondary program credential equivalency assessment".

You can tell from the assessment for the first part that your college degree is already independently equivalent to a Canadian Bachelor's degree (four years). For the second part, the diploma qualifies as "Completion of a college-level certificate (one year)". It appears to me that IRCC is simply going by the overall Canadian equivalency offered by WES, which is "Canadian Bachelor's degree (four years)". So is WES guilty of not including a second line for the diploma under your overall equivalency summary?

You have a choice of other accrediting bodies. Have you considered going to another one to have your credentials assessed? EDIT: I just noticed that the difference in terms of CRS points between just a bachelor's degree and a "two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees; one program of three or more years" is actually 33 points (not just 8!), so this could be worth fighting for!

@SithLord

Last edited:

H0peAndFa1th

Jun 19, 2017
to me it is not an incorrect refusal, CIC agents directly go to overall Canadian equivalency.

which is just a bachelor 4 years in his report. so they are right at some point, WES failed to include second credential in final summary, you must have asked WES to correct it, basically include second credential at top, in finally summary, before filling your PR application

we had similar issue here before, I made one of my friend contact WES to update his evaluation, they happily did it.

Now, CIC, application form is flawed, or failed you in this case, they asked for qualification credentials, reference number etc, you submitted as an honest person, they automatically awarded you points, which is right thing, but they failed to ask you that what is your final or overall "Canadian equivalency summary" says.

now, what is the right thing to do.
firstly ask, WES to update your report,
which should look like

Bachelor's degree (four years) and College level certificate (one year)

then may be you can re-appeal your case, or just re-submit your application again after an invite.

-----
understand comments of the agent

"As per your WES (ECA#: 33xxxxxIMM) – Educational Credential Assessment on file, I note that the
(four years)’."
he is saying, you said you have two credentials
but your report says

" a ‘Bachelor’s Degree (four years)"

the "a" means one,

he said, you claimed 2 credential but report shows only one.

"As per your WES (ECA#: 33xxxxxIMM) – Educational Credential Assessment on file, I also note that the
post-secondary program credential equivalency assessment."
but, he noted second credential,

"this foreign credential does not constitute to at least a one-year
post-secondary program credential equivalency assessment."

Now i am guessing, there is nothing to do with "As per the Ministerial Instructions respecting the Express Entry System"

he interpreted that, WES does not think that one year certificate is worth mentioning in final report, or in other words, its equivalency to Canadian study is less than a year, that is why they are not mentioning it in final summary.

----------------------------
the only mistake you made is, filed the application, before considering the final summary report.

I did extensive study on this subject, to understand, what stands for "two or more", many people here on the forum asked WES to update their final summary, they got positive results, my friend did, they faced no problems at all.

my dedicated thread,
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/clarification-on-two-or-more-certificates-diplomas-or-degrees.535010/

people who got their WES changed
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/1-diploma-1-degree-1-post-sec-credential-only.264117/page-5#post-5153478
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/wes-eca-for-diploma-engineering-graduates.391526/page-2#post-5037983
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/1-diploma-1-degree-1-post-sec-credential-only.264117/page-5#post-5194502

they increase points also
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/1-diploma-1-degree-1-post-sec-credential-only.264117/page-5#post-5266551

Reactions: mouserat
Nov 2, 2017
When I got my 1 yr post grad certificate assessed by WES they said it was a post grad (one semester). I was not able to claim points for this initially. If WES had just written post grad certificate then I could. I wonder if you were rejected because WES is saying you only have a Bachelor's and that your certificate is only equal to completing the first year of a Canadian college certificate and not the whole certificate. It is almost as if they are saying you only have a Bachelors.

Reactions: derkdsou