+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

1 diploma + 1 degree = 1 post-sec credential only?!

haryordejji07

Dec 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Vivek,

Which level of education did you eventually choose?

vivekskumar8544 said:
Hi All,

I too have confusion on My ECA Report. The report is as below.

CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY
Bachelor's degree (four years)

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS

1. Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Diploma in Electronics and Communications Engineering
Year: 2004
Awarded by: State Board of Technical Education and Training, Tamil Nadu
Institution Status: Recognized
Major/Specialization: Electronics and Communications Engineering
Canadian Equivalency: Secondary school diploma and diploma (two years)

———————————————————
2. Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Bachelor of Engineering
Year: 2010
Awarded by: Anna University
Institution Status: Recognized
Major/Specialization: Electronics and Communication Engineering
Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)

Can i select two or more degrees or diploma for the education or only bachelors degree? Please help me.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
Vivek

vivekskumar8544

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-10-2015
Nomination.....
27-09-2016
AOR Received.
08-11-2016
Med's Done....
10-11-2016
Passport Req..
03-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
haryordejji07 said:
Hi Vivek,

Which level of education did you eventually choose?
Hi ,

I chose two or more diploma or degree option. Even i was not sure and i wrote to wes and they changed my summary to diploma and bachelors degree. IMO you can choose the same.

haryordejji07

Dec 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot. I am relieved to hear this :D :D

vivekskumar8544 said:
Hi ,

I chose two or more diploma or degree option. Even i was not sure and i wrote to wes and they changed my summary to diploma and bachelors degree. IMO you can choose the same.

sumitthegreat

Star Member
Oct 11, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vivekskumar8544 said:
Hi ,

Hi,

I also wrote to WES and they changed my report with this content now but I am still not sure if I can select two degrees option

CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY
Diploma (two years) and bachelor's degree (four years)
Revised ECA Report (original completed on April 27, 2015)

paramjeet122

May 4, 2015
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Hey Guys!

Very different question but in the similar context :

I am a Bachelor of Commerce. Can I gather a one year diploma/certificate in management/finance etc. so that be able to claim : "Two or more degrees...."

Kindly help.
regards...Paramjeet

bamshy

Jun 18, 2016
Maybe this will be helpful to co-applicants.

I have a Bachelors and a postgraduate certificate from a Canadian College. I was very confused about the option to choose. I have friends going for the 2 or more certs option but I was conservative and went for just Bachelors as my highest degree.

Requesting GCMS notes recently, the Case Officer has increased my point after evaluating the documents I submitted (ECA for foreign bachelors and certificate for 2 years postgraduate program in a Canadian college), to points awarded for 2 or more certs...

LokiJr01

Apr 13, 2016
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2016
Doc's Request.
09-08-2016
Nomination.....
26-08-2016
AOR Received.
15-09-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2016
Passport Req..
05-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2017
Hi guys. Hope you can shed some light to this
I've read the eca-conversion page in cic but the listed items for 2 or more post secondary is not clear to me

I have a four year bachelor's degree and I also completed a two year diploma course. As such can I claim for 2 or more post secondary?

Gladossy

Nov 29, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
12**
App. Filed.......
10/01/2017
Doc's Request.
31 Jan - Schedule A
AOR Received.
10/01
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Passed: 29/01/1987
Passport Req..
25/05/2017
LokiJr01 said:
Hi guys. Hope you can shed some light to this
I've read the eca-conversion page in cic but the listed items for 2 or more post secondary is not clear to me

I have a four year bachelor's degree and I also completed a two year diploma course. As such can I claim for 2 or more post secondary?
You can claim two or more, if your Canadian equivalent summary says a diploma and bachelors degree.

becky244

Star Member
Jul 8, 2016
Hi everyone, so I have a certificate in law and society and a bachelors of law degree fro the UK. I completed both over 6 years PT, so 3 years full time. ICAS has accredited this as a University Certificate and a Bachelor Degree. I am unsure whether i can now put this as 'Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.' They were for a program of three or more years in total so for now I have just put it as bachelor degree but it is the Canadian equivalent that I should be putting it under????? In which case if they have accredited it as two separate credentials I should also put it as such??? Any ideas??? I have emailed ICAS for clarification but it took 6 months to complete my certificate!!!!! so I'm not expecting a reply any time soon!

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
becky244 said:
Hi everyone, so I have a certificate in law and society and a bachelors of law degree fro the UK. I completed both over 6 years PT, so 3 years full time. ICAS has accredited this as a University Certificate and a Bachelor Degree. I am unsure whether i can now put this as 'Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.' They were for a program of three or more years in total so for now I have just put it as bachelor degree but it is the Canadian equivalent that I should be putting it under????? In which case if they have accredited it as two separate credentials I should also put it as such??? Any ideas??? I have emailed ICAS for clarification but it took 6 months to complete my certificate!!!!! so I'm not expecting a reply any time soon!
See the explanation here of which ECA assessed qualifications are eligible here: www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/eca-conversion.asp

Are these actually two separate qualifications? Did you submit two separate certificates and transcripts for evaluation or is it case that you got the certificate alongside the degree, or halfway through the degree (like a foundation programme or NVQ where you can get a certificate part-way and upgrade it with further study). If the certificate study was basically a part of the overall credit towards your degree, this may not be eligible, not least because the minimum length of qualification accepted for immigration purposes is one year FTE and you will need to support an ECA with certificates and transcripts and enter the number of academic years studied for each qualification (1+2 FTE is no good).

However if you did the certificate alongside the degree, and it was completely separate, perhaps even from a different institution and it was one year FTE then it may be acceptable.

What exactly does your ECA report say? Assuming these were two separate evaluations on a single report, does it evaluate the certificate as being a one year full time equivalent certificate in so and so subject?

becky244

Star Member
Jul 8, 2016
Thanks for your reply! So the certificate was the first 2 years of my degree but I got a qualification for it and then moved on to study my degree. ICAS have accreditated it as a bachelors degree and a university certificate. They have specified in the main body of text that the bachelors is 3 years (2 years after certificate) but underneath it says the Canadian equivalent is a bachelors degree and a university certificate. This is why I'm confused, surely if they both came under one qualification they would just say both qualifications are equivalent to a bachelors degree?? As I understand it it's not what I actually specifically did, it's the Canadian equivalent of what my qualifications are?

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
becky244 said:
Thanks for your reply! So the certificate was the first 2 years of my degree but I got a qualification for it and then moved on to study my degree. ICAS have accreditated it as a bachelors degree and a university certificate. They have specified in the main body of text that the bachelors is 3 years (2 years after certificate) but underneath it says the Canadian equivalent is a bachelors degree and a university certificate. This is why I'm confused, surely if they both came under one qualification they would just say both qualifications are equivalent to a bachelors degree?? As I understand it it's not what I actually specifically did, it's the Canadian equivalent of what my qualifications are?
All qualifications submitted are assessed for Canadian Equivalence so both your qualifications have been deemed to have a Canadian equivalent. This can be useful e.g. some people have done two one-year certificates and they can potentially use the "two year" option. So you can look at your overall evaluation for immigration purposes to be a bachelors degree outright or 1+2=3 (FTE). The "two or more" option requires one of the qualifications to be 3+ years in duration so I don't think you can select this option, especially since the certificate is the first year of your degree.

PS. You have to enter the actual number of academic years studied towards the qualification in your EE profile with from and to dates. What you enter depends upon your transcript. If your degree transcript covers the full 3 year period (FTE) and makes no reference to prior learning/credit/certificate etc then you could enter the certificate as another qualification (but you cannot select "two or more" from the drop down list). If your degree transcript covers only the latter two years then would definitely need to enter both qualifications.

Do you have any previous or subsequent qualifications, perhaps a foundation degree or diploma, NVQ etc? If you have another post-secondary credential you can get points for "two or more". But please note that it would usually have to be regarded as being a year's duration to claim points for immigration purposes. Some ECA organisations don't even assess anything less than a year, but some may if you can show that was equivalent to an academic year's worth of actual study (9 odd months+) without holidays.

becky244

Star Member
Jul 8, 2016
Ah thanks so much for your help. I do have 4 X A/S levels which is one year full time, would this count do you think? If so I could send them off to Icas and update my assessment? Only as we have 425 points currently and this would take us over 450 I believe.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
becky244 said:
Ah thanks so much for your help. I do have 4 X A/S levels which is one year full time, would this count do you think? If so I could send them off to Icas and update my assessment? Only as we have 425 points currently and this would take us over 450 I believe.
I'm afraid not! A levels are considered to be a "high school" qualification. Post-secondary means everything after secondary/high school (sixth form/college/year 13). This could include an NVQ or diploma for example. 425 is a lowish score. Try and get a top score on the IELTS to push this up, or continue gaining relevant experience or look towards doing a further qualification (perhaps from Canada). You may want to consider provincial nominations (PNP) and If you have family in Canada, it can get you extra points in PNP. A PNP or job offer almost guarantees PR but for PNP you may need a licence to practice.

Also apart from just trying to get PR, you really ought to check to see what job opportunities there are available. Also you may have to pass various exams to get a licence to work. Each province will usually have its own law society e.g.

http://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/membership/InternationallyTrainedLawyers.aspx
http://lawsociety-barreau.nb.ca/en/becoming-a-lawyer/process-for-internationally-educated-lawyers