+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

income tax information

kelsey199200

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
My husband is thinking about applying for citizenship in a few years, i've been reading over the application and noticed a section called "income tax information" we got married in Egypt 6 pr 7 years ago but never registered it in Canada. We file as common law so we are still filing as a couple. There is a box to check to allow cra to provide cic with income tax information. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the specific information is that they're looking for. Is it just to show proof that one is filing? We never notified cra of marriage as it was done in Egypt and i know we probably should have but i feel like its to late now. I'm worried they will see this and refuse him. Is it better to state on the application "married" or "common law". ?

Thank You

TomTony

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is better to state as "common law", in the new application form you have to provide SIN number, so when CIC checks with CRA, CRA will tell CIC that your husband has filed tax as "common law"...

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
kelsey199200 said:
My husband is thinking about applying for citizenship in a few years, i've been reading over the application and noticed a section called "income tax information" we got married in Egypt 6 pr 7 years ago but never registered it in Canada. We file as common law so we are still filing as a couple. There is a box to check to allow cra to provide cic with income tax information. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the specific information is that they're looking for. Is it just to show proof that one is filing? We never notified cra of marriage as it was done in Egypt and i know we probably should have but i feel like its to late now. I'm worried they will see this and refuse him. Is it better to state on the application "married" or "common law". ?

Thank You
Your marriage is valid in Canada even if performed abroad as long as it's valid there and not against Canadian laws. You're married, not common-law. Wouldn't that be misrepresentation, even if you're filing as a couple? I'd ask CRA how to proceed with this, and if possible have this corrected if needed.

kelsey199200

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
Cic know we're married as I've sponsored him on a spousal visa. I would rather get in trouble with cra instead of cic. I'm just hoping that's not what they're looking for when they request information from cra. I don't know what I was thinking we're young and file our own taxes, I know it's the wrong thing now. We got married in 2009 and filed as single for a few years, when he had moved to Canada we started filing as common law. He had 0 income during the first few years as he was still in school

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
You can always go back and amend those returns.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
kelsey199200 said:
Cic know we're married as I've sponsored him on a spousal visa.
Right, but I was talking about misrepresentation to CRA.

kelsey199200 said:
I would rather get in trouble with cra instead of cic. I'm just hoping that's not what they're looking for when they request information from cra.
I think that CIC is only looking to make sure that applicants are meeting their tax filing obligations.

kelsey199200 said:
I don't know what I was thinking we're young and file our own taxes, I know it's the wrong thing now. We got married in 2009 and filed as single for a few years, when he had moved to Canada we started filing as common law. He had 0 income during the first few years as he was still in school
I'm not here to make any judgement calls, only to try to help. I'd look into this in-depth if I were you, and file for taxes correctly from now on to avoid problems in the future.

I too was very young when I married and moved over here (20 and 21, respectively), and didn't have any income for the first few years as I was in college and university as well, so I didn't file for taxes until recently when I finally had some income, so I don't know much about taxes and the CRA.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kelsey199200 said:

Thank You
Whether you file taxes as married or common law, you're still considered a couple and paying the same tax, so this isn't the same as if you were filing as single when really married. Also, you don't have to "register" a foreign marriage in Canada. My suggestion would be to 1) start filing your returns as married, 2) indicate that you are married on your citizenship application.

kelsey199200

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
Thank you all for the replies. I'm hoping citizenship is still an option for him. I'm
Not too worried about cic seeing the information provided by cra as having a different marital status is not a reason to be refused citizenship I think. I'm worried as I've read the new citizenship laws and the cic is now allowed to let cra know of any descreponcies that they find. I don't know if this in only in causes of serious fraud and things like filing as single while married ect... If we file taxes as married now they will ask for marriage certificate and see that we've been married for while so I'm trying to advoid that as that was 6 years ago and would cause a lot of issues.

AnaMaria

May 2, 2012
New Westminster, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
09-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012!
MiriamT said:
I too was very young when I married and moved over here (20 and 21, respectively), and didn't have any income for the first few years as I was in college and university as well, so I didn't file for taxes until recently when I finally had some income, so I don't know much about taxes and the CRA.
Even though you didn't have income to pay tax for, if you had filed the tax for the years when you were students, you might have gotten tuition credit. If you can go that far, it might be a good idea to consider filing for those years.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
AnaMaria said:
Even though you didn't have income to pay tax for, if you had filed the tax for the years when you were students, you might have gotten tuition credit. If you can go that far, it might be a good idea to consider filing for those years.
Hi,

I thought about that because of the return, but I was told by both my ex-husband and a bookkeeper that I couldn't file until I had income. My T2202A's were never used on his tax filings either (and he never included me in his tax filings anyway).

alexdive

Aug 19, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
oct 23, 2014
LANDED..........
12-01-2012
kelsey199200 said:
Cic know we're married as I've sponsored him on a spousal visa. I would rather get in trouble with cra instead of cic. I'm just hoping that's not what they're looking for when they request information from cra. I don't know what I was thinking we're young and file our own taxes, I know it's the wrong thing now. We got married in 2009 and filed as single for a few years, when he had moved to Canada we started filing as common law. He had 0 income during the first few years as he was still in school
I married 2011 got PR sponsored by my canadian spouse. We seperated 2012 I first filed 2012 tax in 2013 as single as no chance to update on CRA account. My tax 2013 and 2014 are filed as SINGLE. Wondering CIC will concern about this.

AnaMaria

May 2, 2012
New Westminster, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
09-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012!
MiriamT said:
Hi,

I thought about that because of the return, but I was told by both my ex-husband and a bookkeeper that I couldn't file until I had income. My T2202A's were never used on his tax filings either (and he never included me in his tax filings anyway).
I think you got a bad advice :mad:. CRA officer said we can, and I did. You won't be able to use the benefit unless you have income but the tuition credit can can be carried forward to the future years.

kelsey199200

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
Thanks everyone for replying, I know this is a little late but does anyone know what type of information cic will be obtaining from cra, is it just the noa or more
In depth ? Will they even be looking at the status of if someone is married or not as it has nothing to do with immigration?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kelsey199200 said:
Thanks everyone for replying, I know this is a little late but does anyone know what type of information cic will be obtaining from cra, is it just the noa or more
In depth ? Will they even be looking at the status of if someone is married or not as it has nothing to do with immigration?
You're worrying about something that is unimportant. Again, start filing tax returns as married. CRA will not ask for your marriage certificate. Whether you are married or common law, you pay the same tax rate. When it comes time to apply for citizenship, indicate that you are married. All CIC wants to know is whether you lived in Canada and filed taxes. They don't care how much you owed, what your filing status was, etc.

kelsey199200

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
alphazip said:
You're worrying about something that is unimportant. Again, start filing tax returns as married. CRA will not ask for your marriage certificate. Whether you are married or common law, you pay the same tax rate. When it comes time to apply for citizenship, indicate that you are married. All CIC wants to know is whether you lived in Canada and filed taxes. They don't care how much you owed, what your filing status was, etc.
Thank you, I'm worried because I read cic will share with cra any discrepancies they find with the applications and the information they get back fr
Cra. , I'm hoping its
More so on a bigger scale like fraud and tax evasion. We have a child and therefore have been recieving the child tax benefits. Although my husband and I both work full time it would affect us if cra stopped these
Payments temporarily.